U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,036 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking at a possible relocation to my company's office in Draper, and am wondering how how the current real estate market in the SLC/Draper area, and social aspects of the surrounding area may affect us.

I currently live in a fairly rural area in northern MA/ southern NH, and commute 60 miles each way to work. If I moved I would be looking to close that down to approx 30 miles at most, which on the surface seems to give a wide selection of areas to look for a home. Having for the most part always lived in very small towns, the SLC metroplex, and suburbs tend to give me a bit of pause. What I would be looking for is a 3-4 bedroom house on a minimum of .5+ acre lot ( I currently have 2 acres). One of the things that I see as I look on the realty websites, is that everything out there looks like developments. Are the majority of homes in an HOA? I would REALLY like to avoid an HOA if possible. Some of the properties I had found that looked appealing were in the Eagle Mountain/ Saratoga Springs area. After reading some of the threads here, it appears that these may be commuting nightmares with poor roads, and fairly isolated from, well, everything?

Most of the commute options appear to involve I-15, how bad is it during rush hours? Approx how long would it take to get from say, Eagle Mountain, or Pleasant Grove to Draper? Or from the other direction, Kaysville or Bountiful? I assume coming from the north would be a bear having to go straight through SLC?

I have 4 kids, and am also seeing a lot of talk here about families being ostracized due to not being LDS. Are there particular areas where this is less of a concern? Also, what areas have better schools? Are most of the kids programs through the Church, or community programs?

I happen to enjoy the shooting sports, as well ATV/ Dirt Bike riding. Where I am now, almost every town has "rod and gun" club with a designated shooting range. From what I see this does not seem to be the case out there? Is it OK to just go find an unincorporated area with a safe backstop and go shooting? Are there places to legally ride ATVs? I'm not looking to go bombing down the street, but I also don't want to have to drive 2 hours to go riding either.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 11:59 AM

19,822 posts, read 55,990,399 times
Coming from the south to Draper will be bad in winter as the Point of the Mountain area tends to collect snow/ice. What is your budget?

The problem with small towns is that with the exception of Park City most are heavily LDS. That is not a problem for some. But yes, in the city AFAIK things like scouting are church-sponsored but open to all.

I don't think you will find that sized lot except in more expensive areas. BTW Daybreak is the only master planned community that I know of in the valley. There are some PUDs scattered around but they all have small lots as does Daybreak.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-10-2012 at 03:58 PM..

Old 08-06-2011, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,036 times
Define collect snow and ice? I drive in New England, in blizzards. A couple inches of snow that's plowed up by the ride home doesn't scare me. Donner Pass on a bad day levels of snowfall would concern me however (or give me a really good excuse to get rid of my car for a Jeep ).

Budget wise, I'm looking in the mid 200's... There seems to be plenty to choose from, I just REALLY don't want to get stuck in a crappy or overcrowded neighborhood, or subject to the whims of an HOA.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 PM

835 posts, read 1,791,807 times
Point of the Mountain seems to create it's own weather system. You may be zipping along with a snow flurry around you and then get into a sliding stop as you encounter total whiteout conditions along with several hundred of your fellow commuters. I grew up in Kansas and thought it snowed sideways everywhere until I moved to Colorado..the problem with the area around the Point is number of cars/trucks that will be on the road when the snow hits..

I don't know of anyplace off the top of my head where you are going to find a half acre or larger in your price range and not have a serious drive involved. Land is a precious commodity here along the front range of the Wasatch

Shooting your gun around here any place other than one of the shooting ranges will be frowned upon as I believe that the law is not discharging of a firearm within 1000' of a residence, business etc. More than 6 fires have been started this summer by people target shooting where they shouldn't be...

Old 08-06-2011, 02:35 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,990,399 times
And when they can identify who started a wildfire, they get billed for the cost of fighting it.

So don't go to Daybreak. I think you will have to be up at Heber to find that lot size at that price.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:07 PM

313 posts, read 653,744 times
You might want to look at Herriman or Bluffdale if you want land.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:05 PM

28 posts, read 75,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cbr900rr View Post
I happen to enjoy the shooting sports, as well ATV/ Dirt Bike riding. Where I am now, almost every town has "rod and gun" club with a designated shooting range. From what I see this does not seem to be the case out there? Is it OK to just go find an unincorporated area with a safe backstop and go shooting? Are there places to legally ride ATVs? I'm not looking to go bombing down the street, but I also don't want to have to drive 2 hours to go riding either.

Thanks.
I'll answer the ATV thing, I'm pretty big into motorsports...here's what I found on a quick search of ATV trails..I'm sure same for the two wheel kind too.
http://www.utah.com/offroad/northern.html (broken link)
I'm a pretty avid snowmobilier, so I go riding all around in the winter. I'm sure there are a lot of places to go to in the Uintas. Few of my friends go up that way.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,945 times
Eagle Mountain is *very* ATV friendly and there are many places to shoot that are very close, especially in the town center. Land is cheaper out there too.

[mod] not allowed [/mod]

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-11-2011 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: trying to get the URL to work.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,729 times
My wife and I moved to SLC-area 5 years ago from a rural 5-acre spot in SW Colorado (she's originally from NH). We rented a few different places throughout the valley to try things out- which definitely helped. Eventually we found a strip of houses along Dimple Dell Rec Area which fit our "style" a bit better. The lots are average width, but they offer big backyards and most open directly into Dimple Dell Rec Area, which is the largest and most under-used green-space in the whole valley. It definitely helped buffer the urban shock. Due to my wife's work- we've since moved to near Park City and are now renting our house in Sandy. [Mod]no ads allowed, read TOS [/mod]

It's a great neighborhood and a bit lower commitment than immediately buying.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-10-2011 at 04:53 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 PM

19 posts, read 75,442 times
Not sure if you made your move yet, but here is my feedback. My recommendation is if you are going to work in Draper, you should look in Draper, Sandy or South Jordan. If you are not LDS, I would recommend NOT living in Saratoga Springs, Pleasant Grove and definately not in Eagle Mountain or quite frankly anywhere in Utah County (the bubble). You can find a variety of neighborhoods in Draper & Sandy with a mix of LDS, Non-LDS. In Draper we have one of the largest Catholic Schools in teh State (Juan Diego) and plenty of GREAT Charter Schools. I have quite a few neighbors that like riding ATV and most of them ride in American Fork Canyon (15 - 20 minutes from Draper), there are quite of a few shooting shooting ranges within 15 minutes from here. I would also recommend if you are not LDS that you would not want to be in Bountiful either....Stick with Salt Lake County, the ratio is about 50/50, Utah county is 70-80% mormon, and Bountiful is pretty darn similar (80%) LDS. We are not LDS and reside in Draper and I work in South Jordan and it takes me 15 minutes to get to work and I take the 15. If you live in UTah County expect a sometimes lousy commute, same with Davis County (Kaysville, Bountiful). There are plenty of wonderful places in South Valley (Salt Lake County) that I think you will enjoy living in. In my daughters Kinder class at a Charter School in Draper, I would guess it is about 50% LDS and there does not seem to be any issues at all. Most of the "stories" I hear of children being ostracized for not being LDS come from places in Utah County and a few of my friends that grew up in Bountiful that are now non-LDS said quite a few non-LDS kids stuck out like sore thumbs and were treated as such unfortunately. Our neighborhood is quite mixed, we have block parties during the summer, and people on both sides show up and enjoy themselves, some just drink and others do not.

The best schools are Charter Schools, Alpine School District (Alpine, Highland, Lehi) have good rankings, but again you kids will be the token non-mormon. Many of our friends kids go to school in Herriman and like it, we have others that their kids go to Alta High School in Sandy and like it. We love the school in Draper our kids go to, and next year Draper will have a brandnew High School and Middle School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area