Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,157 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were just transferred to Hill AFB. We are non-LDS and looking at a home in Farmington. We've tried to do our research (did a few searches here, as well as spoke to ppl in the area) but I am still needing more help. We've lived all over the world and have friends of varying backgrounds and religions. However, a few have told us to stay north of Kaysville because there is a higher chance our kids could feel left-out since we're non LDS.
My husband and I are fine wherever we live, but I don't want our kids to ever feel left out because of our religious beliefs. Is there a possibility our kids wouldn't make friends because of this? We found what we believe is a perfect home for us and I'd hate to not purchase it because of other ppl's assumptions, but then again, I'd also hate to purchase and regret it later if our kids do tell us they feel left out. I know the Layton/Syracuse area is more diverse, so ppl are trying to steer us up there. Can anyone give me some background on the Farmington area for a non LDS family thinking to move there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 10:18 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times
Quote:
My husband and I were just transferred to Hill AFB. We are non-LDS and looking at a home in Farmington. We've tried to do our research (did a few searches here, as well as spoke to ppl in the area) but I am still needing more help. We've lived all over the world and have friends of varying backgrounds and religions. However, a few have told us to stay north of Kaysville because there is a higher chance our kids could feel left-out since we're non LDS.
My husband and I are fine wherever we live, but I don't want our kids to ever feel left out because of our religious beliefs. Is there a possibility our kids wouldn't make friends because of this? We found what we believe is a perfect home for us and I'd hate to not purchase it because of other ppl's assumptions, but then again, I'd also hate to purchase and regret it later if our kids do tell us they feel left out. I know the Layton/Syracuse area is more diverse, so ppl are trying to steer us up there. Can anyone give me some background on the Farmington area for a non LDS family thinking to move there?
I live in Fruit Heights, not Farmington. However Fruit Heights is right next door. I'm LDS, but very accepting of people of other cultures and religions. I think there was a time when living in Farmington might have been difficult for someone who isn't a Mormon. Happily, I believe that time has changed. Although, I'd be the first to admit it is a small community and it is conservative. Farmington is largely a community of professional people who either had been successful in life (or who imagine that they are). I know non-Mormon people in Farmington who seem very happy that they chose this community.

Farmington truly is a beautiful place to live and you'll find few communities in Utah or in the whole USA that are in as pleasant an area. You'll be next to a very good amusement park--Lagoon--and if you do move there you should strongly consider getting season tickets for your family. Its a great place to walk and if you do, you'll pass by many historic homes as it was one of the first areas outside Salt Lake to be settled by the Mormon Pioneers. There are many hiking and biking trails.

In terms of amenities, Farmington is coming along. The new Harmon's grocery store over by the Front Runner train station (mass transit to Salt Lake and Ogden) is a magnificent place to shop (although I think many of their food offerings are a bit too expensive and upscale). There are brand new movie theaters practically next door. Other stores are going in and eventually new condominiums will be part of this development known as "Train Park". Despite these amenities, Farmington is basically a "bedroom community" and if you want a hospital, medical care, or shopping beyond groceries you'll need to travel to Layton or at least a little bit south to Centerville or Bountiful.

Layton is a fine place to live too. However, I don't think its nearly as beautiful or nice as Farmington. If you can afford a home in Farmington I'd choose that place.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 AM

313 posts, read 778,190 times
I grew up in a mostly LDS town, and your kids will be able to find friends. It won't be all rosey, but it should give them a healthy independent streak. Farmington is pretty dominantly Mormon, especially politically, but it's not 100% homogenized. The big difference between Mormon suburbs and other suburbs is you likely won't hang out with neinghbors all that often. It's not because most of them hate you or don't want you there. It's because the culture revolves around church activities most of the time.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
Farmington is a pretty town and probably the nicest place to live in Davis County. That also makes it pretty much the most expensive place to live in Davis County too.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:12 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,641 times
Farmington is a great town. Go for it. Are you guys looking east or west of I-15?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area