U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 PM

229 posts, read 365,110 times
Default What is the Marmalade/Capitol area like?

I have found a few rentals in that area that seem to be nice but from what I can see of the area via street view, etc. it doesn't look so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 09:35 PM

13,871 posts, read 9,418,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3000 View Post
I have found a few rentals in that area that seem to be nice but from what I can see of the area via street view, etc. it doesn't look so great.
Okay, I'm not 100% sure of what I'm going to tell you, so you might want to double-check what I'm saying. The Marmalade District is an older part of town so-named because the early Mormon settlers planted a large number of fruit trees there. For a time, it was starting to get really run down, but because a lot of people found the old homes to have a certain charm about them, the area is becoming nicer again. Here's the part that I'm not sure of: I believe it's kind of considered to be Salt Lake City's GLBT area. The same, however, is not true of the area directly south and southeast of the state capitol (the Marmalade District is more to the north and northwest). It's a nice area containing older homes that seem to be in pretty high demand right now.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:10 PM

Okay - that's helpful info. I wonder if the GLBT part is true.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:19 PM

Perhaps that is true - I see that the Utah Pride Center is in that neighborhood.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 PM

13,871 posts, read 9,418,532 times
Quote:
Perhaps that is true - I see that the Utah Pride Center is in that neighborhood.
I'm pretty sure it is (true). That doesn't necessarily mean it's a "bad" area. It's just one some people might feel uncomfortable moving into.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 AM

16,192 posts, read 29,516,392 times
It is our gayborhood. From what I understand, straight people like it too.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:43 PM

313 posts, read 357,458 times
It's not like Norht Hollywood though. It's a regular neighborhood and it's pretty nice. It's close to less nice areas though so it's not a neighborhood where locks should be left unlocked.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:20 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,683,099 times
I am not so sure about it (Marmalade) being in high demand, I ride the bus down 300 West every day and all I see are failing businesses and empty store fronts. In fact, I think besides West High, the only consistent places are the Pride Center, Tattoo parlor and the 7-11. Also there are a few rent-controlled apartments in that area.

However, if you go up the hill a bit towards the Capital buildings, I think there are some very nice/desirable homes up there (some probably too pricey for our OP).

Hope that helps. I would prefer something in the Avenues or even Sugarhouse over the Marmalade district (or perhaps south of there near the Gateway).

Old 08-18-2011, 03:39 PM

547 posts, read 676,469 times
The West Capitol/Marmalade area is very popular with the GLBT community, but it does not have the highest share of gay people in the city. 9th & 9th, and some areas of Central City/Liberty Park, have more... at least based on the number of same-sex couple households reported in the 2010 Census.

It's pretty tough to count numbers of gay individuals, so demographers use households where both adults in the household are of the same-sex AND have categorized themselves as having a "close, personal relationship"---and close, personal relationship not based on living together for financial reasons.

Below is a map of SLC showing the percentage of households in each 2010 census tract that are households headed by a same-sex couple. Feel free to PM me for more info.
http://zionide.com/SSH.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-18-2011, 05:31 PM

590 posts, read 994,294 times
Quote:
Okay - that's helpful info. I wonder if the GLBT part is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It is our gayborhood. From what I understand, straight people like it too.

Just a question if y'all would be so kind, as a straight person, should I abstain from ordering a BLT in a restaurant, deli or diner? Just wondering if the abbreviation has the same connotation....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area