Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 08:45 PM

337 posts, read 663,302 times

Advertisements

Our family is moving out that way in the next 9-12mths and the wife and I will be out to look at area in a few mths. We r looking to rent for first year before buying our first hm, our rental budget is anywhere from $800-$1400 a month, we would prefer a house but would probably be better suited to go for a nice condo/apt community w/ plenty of things for kids to do in or near by. Please help w/ below questions concerns.

1. Best areas in around SLC to start our search when we visit?

2. Does SLC have a rent finding service as we've used this in other larger
cities we've lived in previously ie Miami, Charlotte, Denver etc.

3. What are the better school districts for grade school kids? & are there
better communities for families vs other house hold types.

4. We'd also prefer to live in a town/community that's laid back and not an
in ur face religous area.

Thanks in advance for any insightful help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 PM

313 posts, read 778,190 times
It depends. You obviously need multiple rooms, but I will also assume you can't afford the super exclusive areas.

Yes, though the one I used is more of an urban Apartment service. I recommend using KSL.com classifieds. It's the go to spot for this sort of thing here.

There's very little variation here, the only variation will be percentage of ESL kids, which is concentrated on the North West side of the valley. High School districts are designed to be fairly even. Salt Lake, Granite, Canyons, Jordan are all perfectly fine and relatively equivalent.

No one is in your face, if you end up in a super Mormon hood they will be so out of your face you may question if you have neighbors or not.

My recommendation!
East Murray. Holliday, Cottonwood Heights are also great and basically the same area. The further south the more religious, the further north the more expensive and urban. If you are an actual rich person the upper Avenues and the Walker Lane area of Cottonwood Heights are nice.

If you are outpriced by Murray, Salt Lake City has nice older homes in the Sugarhouse area that still have nice schools that aren't totally en Espanol.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyRudd View Post
It depends. You obviously need multiple rooms, but I will also assume you can't afford the super exclusive areas.

Yes, though the one I used is more of an urban Apartment service. I recommend using KSL.com classifieds. It's the go to spot for this sort of thing here.

There's very little variation here, the only variation will be percentage of ESL kids, which is concentrated on the North West side of the valley. High School districts are designed to be fairly even. Salt Lake, Granite, Canyons, Jordan are all perfectly fine and relatively equivalent.

No one is in your face, if you end up in a super Mormon hood they will be so out of your face you may question if you have neighbors or not.

My recommendation!
East Murray. Holliday, Cottonwood Heights are also great and basically the same area. The further south the more religious, the further north the more expensive and urban. If you are an actual rich person the upper Avenues and the Walker Lane area of Cottonwood Heights are nice.

If you are outpriced by Murray, Salt Lake City has nice older homes in the Sugarhouse area that still have nice schools that aren't totally en Espanol.
Thank U very much we will start looking at the areas u recomended.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,641 times

We live in Bountiful. Davis County is right next to SLC, but very safe and friendly. My commute is less than 20 minutes and we have great public transportation up here. You have to go further north for newer and cheaper homes, but there rentals that are affordable in south Davis (Bountiful, Centerville etc).

We've used one called Express Rental. But honestly, they seemed to just give you the same ones you would see on KSL, so probably not worth it.

There are several great schools throughout the area. Our kids love their school in Bountiful.

Although there are obviously more religious places than others in Utah, I've found Davis county pretty laid back.

In any case, have a great move and let us know if you have more questions.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post

We live in Bountiful. Davis County is right next to SLC, but very safe and friendly. My commute is less than 20 minutes and we have great public transportation up here. You have to go further north for newer and cheaper homes, but there rentals that are affordable in south Davis (Bountiful, Centerville etc).

We've used one called Express Rental. But honestly, they seemed to just give you the same ones you would see on KSL, so probably not worth it.

There are several great schools throughout the area. Our kids love their school in Bountiful.

Although there are obviously more religious places than others in Utah, I've found Davis county pretty laid back.

In any case, have a great move and let us know if you have more questions.
great and thank u very much!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area