Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:22 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times

Advertisements

Thanks, coolcats and tantan220, for your response. Glad to hear positive things about the David Eccles School of Business from two alumni. From what you've observed personally, do most alumni of the business school find jobs in Salt Lake City or other Wasatch Front towns or do significant numbers relocate to other areas? In your opinion, how is the cost of living to jobs and salaries ratio in SLC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 05:52 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Thanks, coolcats and tantan220, for your response. Glad to hear positive things about the David Eccles School of Business from two alumni. From what you've observed personally, do most alumni of the business school find jobs in Salt Lake City or other Wasatch Front towns or do significant numbers relocate to other areas? In your opinion, how is the cost of living to jobs and salaries ratio in SLC?
Most find jobs in Utah. The school would desparately like to change that, because it would improve its exposure outside of the local area. In my opinion, if you plan on staying in Utah, Idaho, Nevada, Montana its good. But it doesn't compare to the big East and West Coast names in reputation.

Starting salary is much lower than that. But I'd rather earn, say 60k coming out of the MBA program in live in Salt Lake, where I can buy a house for 250k, than earn, say 100k, coming out of Stanford, but have to fork over 1+ million for a house in the Bay area.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:33 PM

22 posts, read 78,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryls View Post
My son is considering attending the University of Utah and interested in Premed. Can someone tell me about the student population there, in terms of non-mormon single students, what is their experience there?? Skiing is a plus there too....would love to hear from students experiences at University of Utah in Salt Lake City....we did like the school and town when we visited. thanks...
I think anyone would be able to feel at home on campus at the University of Utah.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:29 AM

33 posts, read 228,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjmiller View Post
I think anyone would be able to feel at home on campus at the University of Utah.
I totally agree!

Old 10-23-2007, 01:52 AM

23 posts, read 63,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbasement View Post
Wow, never heard that one before. I-15 flow of traffic is easily 10-15 over the limit all the time. Utahns don't know the meaning of posted speed limits or turn signals for that matter.
I agree, where did this person come from, or better yet, is this person even in the Salt Lake area? Every description of Salt Lake this person made is upside down and backwards. Besides, this is Utah, not some big metropolitan mecca where there is nothing to do but shop, and we like it that way. It's hard for me to believe someones perception of some place is based on shopping and how big the malls are. For heaven sake, get out of the malls and go do something!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:03 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo2 View Post
I agree, where did this person come from, or better yet, is this person even in the Salt Lake area? Every description of Salt Lake this person made is upside down and backwards. Besides, this is Utah, not some big metropolitan mecca where there is nothing to do but shop, and we like it that way. It's hard for me to believe someones perception of some place is based on shopping and how big the malls are. For heaven sake, get out of the malls and go do something!
You said it right, Hobo2. Amen!

Old 10-23-2007, 01:19 PM

37 posts, read 220,072 times
Default The U of U and Shopping

UNIVERSITY OF UTAH... I graduated from the David Eccles School of Business about six years ago. Great place to go to school! The University of Utah has a wonderfully beautiful campus and the faculty and facilities are great. Best of all you have some amazing outdoor opportunities within minutes of campus that you don't really have at many other urban universities... (world class skiing, hiking, mountain biking, etc.) You'll find that the Mormon / non-Mormon ratio is about 50/50... however... in my experience I found a lot of subtle anti-mormon bias... like many big universities... the U tends to be secular and liberal. One thing to note... the U is still primarily a commuter school... most students are from Utah and don't live on-campus. Also... in my experience the career services center at the University does a very mediocre job... I attended BYU for graduate school and fealt their career services was definetely much better than the U's. Granted... BYU has a larger nationwide alumni base... so their placing people in LA, SF, NY, DC, etc. whereas the University of Utah is typically placing graduates in state. At the end of the day... The University of Utah is a wonderful place... but don't expect the highest starting salary if you plan on living here once your done with school.

SHOPPING... Having lived in many places across the country I'll concede that we don't have a SUPER-SIZE-GLITZY-MEGA MALL... or even a high-end shopping district (such as Pasadena or Georgetown) However... the Gateway downtown is really nice... there are lots of upscale shops and great restaurants. We got a Nordstorms out at Fashion Place Mall... which is a decent sized suburban style mall (Cheesecake factory opens there in a few weeks). Also... we've got some upscale shopping at Trolley Square... and if you head south 20 minutes you have an IKEA and a huge Cebelos store. If you're looking for a Versace or Saks Fifth Avenue you won't find them here in Utah... but for 99% of us... what we've got works just fine.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:40 AM

1,371 posts, read 1,231,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo2 View Post
Actually, I'm from SoCal. Now, I live in Saratoga Springs, and I work in downtown SLC.
If you re-read the original post, you will see where I stated, that if a person is from a much more progressive state they may be disappointed by the selection while shopping, or the types of restaurants. The original question was what was life like in Utah....compared to what I'm used to in CA, I stand by my perceptions.
As for shopping, if you read the previous posts, you'll also see where I stated that I do it online because of the lack of selection here.
My perception of Utah is based, not on the lack of shopping malls, as you state, but on my experiences living in other states, and countries. (20 years in the military can have that effect).
As for doing something.......there's the skiing in Colorado, the riding of my horses in Montana, the rodeos in Wyoming, river rafting in Idaho, the week-end stays in the tree-houses in Oregon, Wishon lake in California, Puget sound in Washington, Sedona, Arizona bungalows, and my favorite..the 1880's governor's ball in Nevada.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:57 AM

21 posts, read 44,593 times
Way to go VC dreamer!
Everyone is entitled to our opinions and perceptions and if you dont agree with someone well oh well, get over it. You're not that person and you obviously dont know them so you have no place to say whether they live in slc or not. I happen to be a Utah resident/california transplant and I do think that the malls and other shopping areas rival some in california. Not everyone from CA are preppy upscale people who have nothing else to do but shop. Obviously VC dreamer gets out alot doing other things in other states. Hell, if I had the financial stability do so I would; since Im a senior in high school i obviously cant. And I can say there is bascially nothing to do in utah for teenagers that I've joined extra-curricular activities after school so that I have something to do. If the 99% of Utahns love not having lives then more power to them but for those of us who do, do be jealous and lay off. Final say: IF THERE WAS ACTUALLY SOMETHING TO DO IN UTAH MAYBE WE'D LAY OFF THE SHOPPING!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area