U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 10,744 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to SLC to attend grad school at the University of Utah next fall. My boyfriend and I will be visiting his parents who live in SLC at the end of this month.

While I'm there, I'd like to get a feel for what it's like to live Utah. I'm from Baltimore and from what I understand Salt Lake City is vastly different - slower pace of life, friendlier people, etc. which sounds so appealing to me!
So, are there some good local restaurants or parks or shopping centers that I should visit?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 01:56 PM

4,347 posts, read 8,478,722 times
Default Visiting SLC

I got a new computer last week and I can't get my links to work properly. Sorry. I've been messing with this trying to figure it out for an hour and I've got to get back to work. Here's my reply, messy as it is.

I would say you could ask your boyfriend's parents where to go & what to see. Be sure to drive around the U and see if you like the campus. I got my undergrad in Accounting there. There is a light rail system called TRAX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTA_TRAX that goes to the U in case you're used to public trans. As far as shopping, go to the Gateway. http://www.shopthegateway.com There is some major http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Creek_Center reconstruction/demolition going on near the other downtown SLC shopping district. Not sure how wide of a path is impacted by that. There are shops along the TRAX line on Main street too.

I rarely go downtown so I'll let someone else give you some more advice.

Might want to take a drive (about 40 minutes) to Park City and check out http://www.tangeroutlet.com/parkcity Tanger Outlets Centers the factory outlet stores and/or Park City's Historic Main Street. http://www.parkcityinformation.org/mainstreetparkcity.htm

Old 08-17-2007, 01:24 AM

397 posts, read 854,342 times
Life in Salt Lake City is pretty much like any other major city. Definitely slower and nicer than Baltimore, but it's not like it's slow. The valley has 1 million people still.

As for shopping...well...Cottonwood Mall died and is going to be reconstructed. The two malls downtown were just torn down and it's going to be turned into a huge shopping center...Valley Fair Mall (although way out of your way) is going to be reconstructed soon...I think you get my drift. Gateway is nice, but it just depends on the kind of stores you like. It's a bit upscale (though not too much so). Besides Gateway, the only other malls worth going to are Fashion Place in Murray (which I hate, but I guess other people like it because it's always busy) and South Towne in Sandy, which are way out of the way of the U of U. The University is near more "authentic, private business" shopping areas, since it's near a very old part of town. It's not too far from downtown, either. The Sugarhouse area has a good shopping center, and of course there's Trolley Square Mall (although it's a more specialized mall than the big ones). But overall shopping shouldn't be a problem, depending on what you're looking for. What's your definition of "good" shopping?

Liberty Park and Sugarhouse Park are both great parks, btw. They should be all you need for parks, and neither of them is very far from the University.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:14 AM

9 posts, read 24,741 times
Default shopping

There is more shopping in SLC and the surrounding area than I have ever seen in any area in my life. Or as we would say back home more than you can shake a stick at......shopping will not be an issue.

I have not encountered any friendlier people since being here.....but there isn't anything like southern hospitality.....

Old 09-09-2007, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 10,552 times
Default University of Utah...student population???

My son is considering attending the University of Utah and interested in Premed. Can someone tell me about the student population there, in terms of non-mormon single students, what is their experience there?? Skiing is a plus there too....would love to hear from students experiences at University of Utah in Salt Lake City....we did like the school and town when we visited. thanks...

Old 09-09-2007, 05:44 PM

1,646 posts, read 4,664,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryls View Post
My son is considering attending the University of Utah and interested in Premed. Can someone tell me about the student population there, in terms of non-mormon single students, what is their experience there?? Skiing is a plus there too....would love to hear from students experiences at University of Utah in Salt Lake City....we did like the school and town when we visited. thanks...
I earned my MBA from the U, graduating last May. I enjoyed the grad program up there. I got to know all the teachers on a first-name basis. I think the undergrad classes are less personable, but I suppose that's to be expected at any large university. There is a decent mix of all sorts of students. Probably 50 percent Mormon and 50 percent not. With over 20k students, I think most everyone finds their niche. Several students chose to go there specifically so they could go skiing after classes. I suppose that can be both a positive and a negative.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:01 PM

7,728 posts, read 8,812,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnf86 View Post
I am considering moving to SLC to attend grad school at the University of Utah next fall. My boyfriend and I will be visiting his parents who live in SLC at the end of this month.

While I'm there, I'd like to get a feel for what it's like to live Utah. I'm from Baltimore and from what I understand Salt Lake City is vastly different - slower pace of life, friendlier people, etc. which sounds so appealing to me!
So, are there some good local restaurants or parks or shopping centers that I should visit?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
It's not as good as you think it is.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:32 PM

1,371 posts, read 818,799 times
SLC is not like any other city around....it's very small...slow paced. If you're from a progessive state like I am, you may be very disappointed here. The malls are merely enclosed strip malls, with too small stores, and very little selection. There is a very small outlet mall in Park City, with a few good stores though.
As for restaurants, especially those with an ethnic flare, have a tendency to be bland, but if you ask for it to be made authentic, most places will comply. Just keep in mind that the servers in utah only make 2.13 an hour, so tipping for good service, is always appreciated.
Becareful on the roads too, the drivers out here have a tendency to go too slow, and the phrase "keep up with the flow of traffic" seems to be un heard of.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:11 PM

4 posts, read 31,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
Becareful on the roads too, the drivers out here have a tendency to go too slow, and the phrase "keep up with the flow of traffic" seems to be un heard of.
Wow, never heard that one before. I-15 flow of traffic is easily 10-15 over the limit all the time. Utahns don't know the meaning of posted speed limits or turn signals for that matter.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:19 PM

421 posts, read 1,170,726 times
I have to agree with grimbasement. If anything, traffic here is chronically fast, and everyone seems to have run out of blinker fluid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area