U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-14-2011, 05:57 PM

12 posts, read 16,831 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I (and siblings) am attending high school at Judge Memorial and my family is considering moving south from Ogden to just anywhere a good bit closer to school. Well I personally love Park City and we took a drive down to the Summit Park area last Friday and they loved it too...It took us about 25 min or less from school to get to get there(remember, not Park City proper). That's alot better than 45 min! The problem is that I moved hear from Mississippi and my Dad has only last seasons driving experience with snow and he is afraid the I-80 would not be good for him and it would no longer be any faster.

I wanted to see if I could get some local opinions on the reality of how bad it is. Is there ever enough snow for I-80 to close down completely? Any information about anything associated with the Park City (but remember, really Summit Park) to SLC commute is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:52 PM

313 posts, read 378,758 times
When it's plowed it is fine. When it's not it's like Armageddon. I lived near Parley's Summit and worked in the valley. Three times it snowed, and I had to make my way up there are 8 when I got off. I had to use 4WD and go about 15 mph. There were semis stuck in in their tracks and people in cars stuck in all sorts of directions. Just had to drive around them. It took forever too.

It only happens a few times a year. If you have a back up plan such as a hotel you plan to go to when the road is closed it's not a big deal.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:58 PM

835 posts, read 1,052,172 times
Don't do it, the windshield time alone is a huge waste. If I am reading your post correctly, your Dad will be driving you so that would be 4 trips up and down every day for him. The gas, emissions etc are a huge waste.
The new lanes on the east bound side will be of some help but all it takes is one slip and slide for things to come to a screeching halt.
The one fantastic thing that the hiway patrol started enforcing last season is the "chains/AWD only" restriction. It used to be an advisory but last season, they actually enforced it with multiple hour backups. Keep in mind that the AWD must also have snow tires on too.
My sweetie did the drive for 16 years then I did the reverse commute for 2...... I love all the spare time we both have now.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:19 PM

Wow thanks guys that pretty much answers my question. For the record though my parents are actually working in Salt Lake so fortunately there would only be two trips. But I am curious, when it's plowed it's fine? ok well I noticed you guys mentioned the few times a year when it's wash out. Are those the times it isn't plowed? If not, how reliable are the snowplows for the entire commute (every weekday morning at 5?), because I guess it does eventually snow more and more. Thanks guys, not looking good for my case, but thanks.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:41 AM

835 posts, read 1,052,172 times
The Snowplow drivers that we have here in Utah are the best!
I lived in PC for 15 years and my hubby drove to his office near the airport, 5 times a week, for those 15 years. He would leave our house at about 5 in the AM most mornings. His number one reason to leave that early in the winter was to get ahead of the dingbats driving 4/AWD vehicles that either had Jesus as a copilot or felt they were 10 feet tall and bullet proof due to that AWD . 90% of the time, the snowplows were NOT out yet but he liked his chances for a smoother commute thru fresh snow better than sharing the road with the dingbats.
One other phenomena that I witnessed during winter driving conditions in Parleys Canyon, a freshly plowed road does not equal an "easy" drive. At times, the icy/slushy stuff that gets left behind can make driving way harder than making your way through 5" of snow...

Old 09-18-2011, 01:10 PM

Ok. hmmm One last question I promise! haha but I was thinking. Since I-80 is a main interstate then does't it will get plowed faster than places in say millcreek or upper sugarhouse or something because there are so many surface roads? I guess principle of my question is would you be any better off driving in the valley through the hills above downtown? It seems to me that it might be more difficult. But what do you think on that? Thanks so much.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:35 PM

16,475 posts, read 31,224,125 times
The mountains get more/heavier snow on average than the valley. Thus, your odds are worse up there. It seems like you are trying to find something to support what you want to do, but it is time to give up the search.

Live near a bus line in the valley and you will have at most a block or so to go to get to a plowed route.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:24 PM

Right, higher elevation. forgot about that. Thanks guys

Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 PM

81 posts, read 146,746 times
Winter driving conditions can be very bad on I-80 in Utah. Sometimes it may be closed in places if there is a bad snowstorm/blizzard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area