U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,211,911 times
yeah, your definitely right about the climate difference and that is a good point. Most of the old houses are right on the bay too (south Tampa we call it) but there terrible. Most smell like mold even though there beautiful, huge houses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 03:20 PM

80 posts, read 60,771 times
IF you're looking for a more down-to-earth alternative to Harvard/Yale, I'm going to put in another plug for my neighborhood, which is technically Liberty Heights, though it may have other names I'm not aware of. We've got mostly older, mostly well-cared-for homes (and, yes, the smaller yards, which I understand are not for everyone), but with lower price tags. We have "regular" jobs and drive "regular" cars, and there's a good mix of residents: singles, families of all ages and statuses, a few multi-family dwellings here and there, but mostly single-family houses and most are owner-occupied.

I think that anything between 700 East and 1100 East, and 900 South and, say, 1500 or maybe 1700 South is a good bet right now. Established and reasonably priced. Just my two cents.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:45 AM

498 posts, read 681,798 times
I don't think of Harvard-Yale as being as posh as some are making it seem here. It's a more expensive area because of the mature trees, picturesque houses, the gully, and so on. Not all the people that live there are rich snobs though. It's a relatively liberal area. There was (and remains) a great deal of resentment toward the monster house on Hubbard, and the city council is still considering making it a historic district (which would restrict construction).

A large part of why it is desirable is simply because wooded areas and tree-lined streets are so rare in Salt Lake. If you ever watch Malcolm in the Middle, you'll notice the dumpy, run-down house is located on a street very similar to some of those in Yalecrest. My dad grew up on Michigan Ave, and when his parents moved in, it was thought to be a sprawling suburb on the outskirts of town, with cheap houses and hardly and skimpy trees. Unfortunately, new suburbs, especially on the west side, don't seem to be planting trees like they used to. My parents live in a house in Holladay with fully mature trees, but without tree-lined streets. It's not nearly as charming.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:17 PM

11,335 posts, read 7,455,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
yeah, your definitely right about the climate difference and that is a good point. Most of the old houses are right on the bay too (south Tampa we call it) but there terrible. Most smell like mold even though there beautiful, huge houses
What area are you talking about? Palma Ceia? Hyde Park? Most of the older homes are very well taken care. Just like any other area with these style of homes, they have been taken care of by their owners because they can afford to keep them in top shape.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:18 PM

Can somebody give me a specific area for the Harvard/Yale area?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 PM

518 posts, read 601,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's a highly desirable area to live in if you're rich. We lived there a number of years back (between 1700 and 1800 East on Harvard Avenue) and we couldn't get out fast enough. The problem was, we weren't rich enough, nor did we have prestigious enough jobs to fit in with our neighbors. To them, we were basically invisible. We lived there for six months and took a loss when we sold our house, just so we could get out. Others may have different experiences, but you couldn't pay me enough to live there.
I have to respectfully disagree. I had a boyfriend who lived in a house in Yalecrest (aka Harvard/Yale) in the early 2000s, while we were in college, and we both loved it. He was starvingly poor, and obviously so (as were all his housemates), and the neighbors were great. Maybe it was because we were students....

And to respond to the OP: It's a desirable area because it has older, well-cared for homes, great natural beauty with Red Butte Creek and mature trees, and small, commercial "neighborhood stores" scattered among the residential areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincoglionita View Post
IF you're looking for a more down-to-earth alternative to Harvard/Yale, I'm going to put in another plug for my neighborhood, which is technically Liberty Heights, though it may have other names I'm not aware of.

I think that anything between 700 East and 1100 East, and 900 South and, say, 1500 or maybe 1700 South is a good bet right now. Established and reasonably priced. Just my two cents.
Technically, most of the area you describe is the East Liberty Park neighborhood within the East Central Community Council. The portion south of 1300 South is simply the East Central neighborhood. Liberty Heights is a vernacular name for a very small area around the Liberty Heights Fresh market, and isn't an official designation in any capacity.

But I agree that it's a fantastic area, more affordable than Yalecrest, but very nice. I'd also say that the area between 700 East and 400 East and 400/500 South and 1300 South has become quite nice in recent years, too, though pockets are still undergoing gentrification. Central City (which is north of 900 South) includes a historic district and incredible access to Trolley Square and Liberty Park. Liberty Wells (west of Liberty Park) is also becoming desirable... buy in these areas now before prices catch up to the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Yalecrest's official boundaries are 1300 East to 1700 East and Sunnyside/800 South to 1300 South. To the south is Wasatch Hollows, west is East Central/East Liberty, east is Foothill/Sunnyside, and north is the University.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:34 PM

80 posts, read 60,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
Technically, most of the area you describe is the East Liberty Park neighborhood within the East Central Community Council.
Well, this is good to know! I definitely should know the name of my own neighborhood!

Quote:
I'd also say that the area between 700 East and 400 East and 400/500 South and 1300 South has become quite nice in recent years, too, though pockets are still undergoing gentrification. Central City (which is north of 900 South) includes a historic district and incredible access to Trolley Square and Liberty Park. Liberty Wells (west of Liberty Park) is also becoming desirable... buy in these areas now before prices catch up to the trends!
FWIW, I 1000% agree with this assessment, wonky real estate market notwithstanding. (I'm a few blocks east of Liberty Park, but I like the slightly funky vibe of the west side a lot.)

Old 10-03-2011, 06:01 PM

313 posts, read 336,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
900 South to 1300 South East of 1300 East West of Foothill Drive.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:

Yalecrest's official boundaries are 1300 East to 1700 East and Sunnyside/800 South to 1300 South. To the south is Wasatch Hollows, west is East Central/East Liberty, east is Foothill/Sunnyside, and north is the University.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyRudd View Post
900 South to 1300 South East of 1300 East West of Foothill Drive.

Very specific thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area