U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-13-2011, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 2,897 times
Default Possible Relocation to Lehi from California

I currently have a job offer with a hi-tech company in Lehi (IM Flash). We are a family of 4 with chilcdren ages 4, and 7. I am hispanic and my wife is caucasian . We are Catholic with very strong conservative values. I am worried how my childeren will be accepted cause they are mixed and Catholic. Also my oldest child is Autistic so that's another challenge I may face. Is there anything I should be worried about before I pick my family up and move to Utah. I love the area as I'm from NM and enjoy my hunting and fishing. Visting the local Cabelas in Lehi almost brought a tear to my eye as I saw all the lil toys I'm prevented from having in CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:45 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,167,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1105 View Post
I currently have a job offer with a hi-tech company in Lehi (IM Flash). We are a family of 4 with chilcdren ages 4, and 7. I am hispanic and my wife is caucasian . We are Catholic with very strong conservative values. I am worried how my childeren will be accepted cause they are mixed and Catholic. Also my oldest child is Autistic so that's another challenge I may face. Is there anything I should be worried about before I pick my family up and move to Utah. I love the area as I'm from NM and enjoy my hunting and fishing. Visting the local Cabelas in Lehi almost brought a tear to my eye as I saw all the lil toys I'm prevented from having in CA
I would definatley live in Salt Lake County not Utah County. As a non LDS, we lived in Saratoga Springs, which is just outside Lehi and we did not feel at home. Knowing what we know now, we would have not chosen to live in Utah County. There are also some LDS on this site that have said they also would not live in Utah County.

You may want to look at previous posts for good Salt Lake County cities. I am not familiar enough to recommend any.

Good luck. IM Flash is a great company to work for/with. My husbands company worked with them and still does in some capacity.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:48 PM

2,231 posts, read 3,681,095 times
There are many Hispanic families living in Utah and mixed ones too. I am Catholic, although not Hispanic, and my children have had no trouble fitting in here at all. Believe it or not, there are many children living in Utah that are on the Autism spectrum.

I would not recommend living in Lehi however. I would recommend living at the south end of Salt Lake County and commuting.

Best of luck to you! We love living here!

Old 11-13-2011, 06:42 PM
mlb

1,259 posts, read 1,010,148 times
Yes, I'd also recommend living the south end of the SL Valley - in Draper there's Skaggs Catholic center - from pre-school to high school.

Your commute south will be going against the crowd coming north in the morning. Way easier.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:58 PM

596 posts, read 731,007 times
Unless you, most LDS people don't hate having catholic neighbors. It shouldn't be about religion when judging a state, city, family or person.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 AM

313 posts, read 361,861 times
Kids don't have trouble making friends, parents do. It's not because of distrust or anything, just different activities never bringing people together.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 AM

23 posts, read 28,557 times
Quote:

Rob: I want to chime in and give you my thoughts. As a recent escapee from CA, I say go for it.
Couple things: RE: Catholic. The Skaags Center is top notch. I went to an all boys Catholic HS in the SF Bay Area. My 4 year old will be going to Kindergarten there next year and hopefully going through HS. It is in Draper, where we live. We currently work in Orem but, will be working in Lehi next year (right in front of the Cabela's in fact).
RE: Autistism. Lehi, right across the highway from Cabela's has a GREAT Autism resource. It is called Autism Journeys. Our son went there for some pre-school and observations last year. We are currently mainstreaming him as he seems to be really more of an Asberger's vs. needing full on autism help.

The only thing that CA has going for it is the weather. So, I hope you end up out here. We can go to the range, just make sure to sell your 10rd mags before you come here. You'll have no use for them! haha..

DM me if you have any more questions. Happy to help!
sdg

Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 PM

4,300 posts, read 8,293,283 times
My brother used to work for IM Flash. He started there when it was micron. Almost always if I read someone is moving to Lehi, that seems to be where they'll be employed. LOL

Here's a link to the elementary school RedDot was referring to.

I grew up in Orem. Being Catholic in a very LDS concentrated neighborhood wasn't easy. Sure I made friends with LDS kids but for the most part, I didn't fit in. Times and attittudes have changed since then so I'm hoping their is a greater tolerance for people who don't fit into the norm.

I also would strongly suggest you don't live in Utah county. Driving over the point of the mountain (where Utah county meets SL county) can be challenging sometimes in the winter. But I think it would be a better fit for your family if you lived in Draper or somewhere in southern SL county. Just make sure you get a big enough garage for all your Cabela's toys.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM

2,612 posts, read 3,372,508 times
Quote:
United Angels Foundation

last year, when we had our daughter with down syndrome (who is currently sitting on my lap screaming and laughing like a banshee), we were introduced to the united angels foundation, which has made finding families to hang out with that have similar disability issues very easy.

they have activities every few weeks to every few months that get everyone hanging out together. i was cynical about it at first, though i don't remember why. but at the urging of my wife, i have gone to a few of their activities and they are pretty fun, especially for the kids.

as far as living in lehi goes, that area has some of the worst traffic in utah county. if you are good at strategizing different routes through traffic, you'll be ok, except during weather-related traffic, which screws everyone.

also, a lot of lehi is upper middle class and, in my experience, a little snobbish. i am sure that there are nice, friendly areas, but i haven't been out looking for them. i just meet the snobs when i go visit my in-laws. and i'm mormon, and religion hasn't made a difference in whether snobs like you or not.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:00 PM

4,420 posts, read 3,477,372 times
Rob,

You are getting great advice from all those people here who say work in Lehi, but live in Salt Lake County instead. This question is frequently posed on this forum in one fashion or another. From what I am able to surmise, Utah County is an area that is growing and creates a steady supply of jobs. It must be why people come on this forum continually and ask virtually the same thing.

Its just as well, the answer you're getting is pretty much the one we give everybody. You'll find a couple of people here who disagree, but even some of us who are LDS (myself included) would never voluntarily choose to locate their family in Utah County. Its difficult to describe precisely why if you aren't from this culture. What I can tell you is that very few people consciously discriminate against other faiths or people from outside the state. It has more to do with the fact that belonging to the LDS Church is as much a lifestyle as it is belonging to a church. Members tend to spend most of their social lives either with extended family or in organized church activities. Church activities extend beyond Sunday. There are frequent events during the week that involve all age groups. Many adults are advisers to groups involving younger people and their time is taken up with this as well. LDS Wards have dinners and seasonal parties. By the time members do all these things, they have little time left to socialize with non-members.

Moving to Salt Lake County does not change 100% of this. However, it does put you in a county or an area where (1) there are more people of other faiths in your neighborhood; (2) where some of the LDS people are not active in the church; and (3) where even active LDS people, IMO, tend to be more tolerant and willing to make an effort to associate with non-members. This "diversity" will make for a much more pleasant experience for your family. As a general rule, the closer you live to Salt Lake City proper, the more diverse the area is going to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area