Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,148 times

Advertisements

I'm new on here, so hello to everyone! I have the oportunity to relocate with a scholarship program. I'm currently in nursing school, and will be graduating in a year. I will have a job through the scholarship program, so that is one weight off my back, however; I know NOTHING about Utah. I picked this location, because I hate the hot summers of the south, but I love the outdoors.

I guess my first question would be, am I correct in thinking that Utah is a great place for outdoor activities?

I have also decided to go to Utah over a small Colorado hospital in the middle of no where, because I want to continue my schooling and don't want to have to drive two hours to a city.

My second question would be, what are some of the good nursing schools in Utah (SLC area)? As I have been suggested some through my scholarship program, I would like to have input from other sources.

I would prefer to live somewhere that is not in the city, possibly somewhere in the country or a small town. I'm not used to "city life" as I've always lived in small towns or in the country. Is this reasonable?

Any insight to the area would be great help!!! Good areas, bad areas.

My boyfriend and I plan to come out over the winter to ski, and check out the area the hospitals are in that I will be working, and make sure this is something we really want to get into. Any suggestions of things I need to know, see, check out, etc.

I have been told there are national parks to go hiking and climbing, as well as skiing and snowboarding close by. Is this correct?

Thank you all ahead of time!
Mandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 08:21 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
Congrats! First off, I have to tell you that it does get pretty hot here in Utah during the summer. Utah is a very dry state, and our humidity is extremely low. This makes it feel cooler than a southern summer. I used to live in NJ and would work up a sweat stepping out of the shower. At least in this climate, it is easy to cool down in the shade.

I am not very familiar with nursing schools in particular, however the Univ of Utah is a very good school. They have an excellent med program, so I would venture to guess their nursing program is also top notch.

If you are willing to commute a bit to school (under an hour depending where you want to go to school), we have small towns all over Utah. I am sure finding one wouldn't be a problem. If you and your boyfriend like the nightlife scene, staying closer to Salt Lake would probably be your best option however. If you have never been to SL, it really isn't the "big city" like you might think.

We could steer you to better areas to live depending on your budget. Honestly speaking, there really is not a BAD area per se, but rather less desirable areas. Once you figure out exactly what school you want to attend, it will be easier to give some suggestions based on that and your budget.

National parks, hiking, skiing, snowboarding, ect are literally right out your backdoor.

Best of luck!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,148 times
Thanks! To start I think we want to rent until we get a grasp of the area. Probably looking to stay below $1,000 or $1,200. We really are big nightlife people, we would rather be out hiking or skiing.

Do you know anything about West Jordan, West Valley City, or Layton? Those are the areas that three of the hospitals are in.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:02 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
If I had my druthers, I would pick Layton first, then West Jordan. West Valley, while becoming revitalized recently, still has some rather sketchy areas. Not really a city I would recommend to someone who is not familiar with the area.

Layton is more of a diverse area because of the close proximity to the Air Force Base. There is shopping and activities galore nearby. Everything you would want and more, really.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:09 AM

313 posts, read 778,704 times
It sounds like you fiund thevright place to be. Just head to the canyons and find othet canyonites.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:37 AM

762 posts, read 2,118,635 times
Westminster College is also nationally known for its nursing program. Layton, West Jordan, and West Valley, while technically standalone cities, are not really anything but extended suburbs of SLC... if you don't like living in the city, you may not like living there, either.

I have to say, however, that living in SLC is NOT like living in most cities of its size... recreation is so close, and even downtown SLC has very much of a "small-town" feel. Most transplants I know are surprised by this. And both Westminster and the U of U will be much more accessible if you live in SLC, so don't rule out "city life" in this case until you've been here!

Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
Graduate Nursing programs here are excellent. I worked (in administration) at the University of Utah. They have a number of specialty tracks.... you definitely should check them out.

As for living rurally and going to school - they used to have a Distance Education program at the College of Nursing - but I think the federal funds dried up for that. You could live in rural Utah - work and go to school - and get your classes via EDNET, the Internet and a coupla weeks out of the year here in Salt Lake.

Nevertheless - most graduate nursing degrees are twoyear programs.... so you're not talking alot of time.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area