Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:34 PM

5 posts, read 15,379 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband, daughter and I just moved to SLC about 6 months ago, and are having a hard time finding some black folks to get to know. We are in our late 20's, and hold advanced degrees, and would love to meet some other like-minded black people living in SLC or nearby areas that we can hang out with. Any suggestions? I am a research scientist at the U, and my husband a nurse at a nearby hospital. We are mature but outgoing people who would like to find some friends. I have to say, it's been a little difficult finding friends around here, maybe because we aren't LDS. Not to say they haven't been friendly, just no one to hang out with. Thank you.

Last edited by Domolivares; 01-06-2012 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: Addition to post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 12:11 AM

672 posts, read 810,695 times
Quote:
New to SLC, looking to meet some young African-American friends Hi, my husband, daughter and I just moved to SLC about 6 months ago, and are having a hard time finding some black folks to get to know. We are in our late 20's, and hold advanced degrees, and would love to meet some other like-minded black people living in SLC or nearby areas that we can hang out with. Any suggestions? I am a research scientist at the U, and my husband a nurse at a nearby hospital. We are mature but outgoing people who would like to find some friends. I have to say, it's been a little difficult finding friends around here, maybe because we aren't LDS. Not to say they haven't been friendly, just no one to hang out with. Thank you.
Quote:
Any suggestions?
Just maybe you should be a little more open to who you could establish a friendship with? Seems you are limiting yourself to something so stupid as race.

Why not just late 20's and educated? If I were looking for friends in a new area I wouldn't do so by posting things like this.

"Hi, my husband, daughter and I just moved to _________ about 6 months ago, and are having a hard time finding some White folks to get to know. We are in our late 20's, and hold advanced degrees, and would love to meet some other like-minded White people living in SLC or nearby areas that we can hang out with. Any suggestions? I am a research scientist at the U, and my husband a nurse at a nearby hospital. We are mature but outgoing people who would like to find some friends. I have to say, it's been a little difficult finding friends around here, maybe because we aren't, insert whatever religion. Not to say they haven't been friendly, just no one to hang out with. Thank you."

Most people would probably believe I was a racist/bigot if I did so.

Actually, I think it really sucks. Why am I trying to teach my children not to define people by race but rather on character again?

I don't know what it is like from where you are from but the educated Americans (of all shades) I call friends don't have such a uneducated prerequisite.

Maybe, just maybe, it doesn't have anything to do with the LDS population but the barriers you set for yourself.

Last edited by Dhult; 01-07-2012 at 12:29 AM..

Old 01-07-2012, 01:10 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Join the church led by Dr. France Davis, or at least attend a few times. Very promminent AA church here in SLC. Look on www.meetup.com for activities that interest you and go to some - likely to meet like-minded people even if not AA.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
Just maybe you should be a little more open to who you could establish a friendship with? Seems you are limiting yourself to something so stupid as race.

Why not just late 20's and educated? If I were looking for friends in a new area I wouldn't do so by posting things like this.

"Hi, my husband, daughter and I just moved to _________ about 6 months ago, and are having a hard time finding some White folks to get to know. We are in our late 20's, and hold advanced degrees, and would love to meet some other like-minded White people living in SLC or nearby areas that we can hang out with. Any suggestions? I am a research scientist at the U, and my husband a nurse at a nearby hospital. We are mature but outgoing people who would like to find some friends. I have to say, it's been a little difficult finding friends around here, maybe because we aren't, insert whatever religion. Not to say they haven't been friendly, just no one to hang out with. Thank you."

Actually, I think it really sucks. Why am I trying to teach my children not to define people by race but rather on character again?

I don't know what it is like from where you are from but the educated Americans (of all shades) I call friends don't have such a uneducated prerequisite.

Maybe, just maybe, it doesn't have anything to do with the LDS population but the barriers you set for yourself.

Actually, if you were black (and obviously you aren't) you would know how difficult it is to find a good hairstylist, a good black church, and places where I can find certain food items. I have friend of all colors (I was raised in a city where the black population is less than 10%), but would like to meet anyone here in SLC, but especially some black people so they can give me some info about things I've not found on my own. And for your information, my husband is white.

And, whether you like it or not, people of like race do seek each other out and try to form friendships and a community. If you were a minority, you would know how important this is.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Join the church led by Dr. France Davis, or at least attend a few times. Very promminent AA church here in SLC. Look on www.meetup.com for activities that interest you and go to some - likely to meet like-minded people even if not AA.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate it. I'll check out their websites!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 AM

6 posts, read 18,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post

hahaha wow i dont even know what to say.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:53 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ON3P View Post
hahaha wow i dont even know what to say.
Obviously.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 18,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Obviously.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Domolivares, this is the only info we ever had about someone who could handle ethnic hair. I'm not sure she is still here but the salon would be a starting place: "
I am at BARAKA HAIR AND NAIL SALON. and its located at 5663 south redwood rd tayloresville, utah 84123. my name is Samar Michael. "

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-07-2012 at 04:48 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Domolivares, this is the only info we ever had about someone who could handle ethnic hair. I'm not sure she is still here but the salon would be a starting place: "
I am at BARAKA HAIR AND NAIL SALON. and its located at 5663 south redwood rd tayloresville, utah 84123. my name is Samar Michael. "
Awesome, thank you so much! I'll see if she is still around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area