U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:54 AM

38 posts, read 48,568 times
Default Moving to Park City from Boston

We are relocating to Park City from Boston in March. We are looking at the Jeremy Ranch area. We have a middle schooler. Any thoughts on that area and schools? Are there teens in Jeremy Ranch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 AM

13,616 posts, read 8,774,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn1 View Post
We are relocating to Park City from Boston in March. We are looking at the Jeremy Ranch area. We have a middle schooler. Any thoughts on that area and schools? Are there teens in Jeremy Ranch?
My suggestion is that you do a search for posts by the poster named UtahRoots. She is my sister, but hasn't posted here for quite a while. She taught in two of the middle schools in the Park City area for about 25 years, and is currently in administration up there. She has taught at both Treasure Mountain Middle School and Ecker Hill Middle School and knows them both extremely well. (I wish she were here to answer your questions, but she does have several excellent posts on the area schools.) Here's one to get you started. And yes, there are plenty of teens!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:19 AM

Thank you for responding I have actually printed that post from your sister a while back! It was one of the more eloquent posts that helped me to decide that Park City was for us!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Thank you for responding I have actually printed that post from your sister a while back! It was one of the more eloquent posts that helped me to decide that Park City was for us!
I'm going to a play with my sister tonight. I'll pass on your comments to her. They'll make her happy. If you have any really specific questions you want to post today, I'll print them off and get her input tonight when I see her.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 AM

Oh, Katzpur; thanks so much. My questions are the usual ones; How do the kids in middle school generally get along? Is there a bullying problem? Is there much social divide based on $$$ (A lot of that here in Boston---how big is your house, what car do you drive, what neighborhood do you live in ect..) We are not showy, money people. We actually hate that.

Getting back to school specific questions: Is there a track for achievers vs. special needs kids? Is it a big sports town? How are the moms? Do they generally volunteer at the school? Is it cliquey? Do they have standardized testing like MCAS that we have in Boston?

Our daughter rides horses. Are there a lot of teen riders in the area? We are animal people. I hear Park City is a good animal community. We have three dogs, a cat, three birds. We did have a backyard flock of chickens, but had to find them a new home. We were thinking about the area of Park City that has horse farms so that I could once again have chickens, but I want to have more of a neighborhood feel. Too bad no chickens in Jeremey Ranch. Chicken snobs. They are wonderful pets.

Do you know anything specific about the Jeremy Ranch area? With my husband commuting to SLC daily, we thought that the commute from there would not be too bad.

Any info is helpful. Thanks so much and have fun at the play. I love the theater, what play are you seeing?

Old 01-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Oh, Katzpur; thanks so much. My questions are the usual ones; How do the kids in middle school generally get along? Is there a bullying problem? Is there much social divide based on $$$ (A lot of that here in Boston---how big is your house, what car do you drive, what neighborhood do you live in ect..) We are not showy, money people. We actually hate that.

Getting back to school specific questions: Is there a track for achievers vs. special needs kids? Is it a big sports town? How are the moms? Do they generally volunteer at the school? Is it cliquey? Do they have standardized testing like MCAS that we have in Boston?

Our daughter rides horses. Are there a lot of teen riders in the area? We are animal people. I hear Park City is a good animal community. We have three dogs, a cat, three birds. We did have a backyard flock of chickens, but had to find them a new home. We were thinking about the area of Park City that has horse farms so that I could once again have chickens, but I want to have more of a neighborhood feel. Too bad no chickens in Jeremey Ranch. Chicken snobs. They are wonderful pets.

Do you know anything specific about the Jeremy Ranch area? With my husband commuting to SLC daily, we thought that the commute from there would not be too bad.

Any info is helpful. Thanks so much and have fun at the play. I love the theater, what play are you seeing?
I'll talk to my sister tonight. These are all questions I'm sure she'll be able to answer for you. She and I are animal people too! Also, she lives in Holladay and commutes to Park City (I think it's the Jeremy Ranch area) every day, so she can help provide you with lots of information about that drive.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 PM

590 posts, read 954,306 times
Quote:
We are not showy, money people. We actually hate that.

Our daughter rides horses. Are there a lot of teen riders in the area? We are animal people. We were thinking about the area of Park City that has horse farms so that I could once again have chickens, but I want to have more of a neighborhood feel. Too bad no chickens in Jeremey Ranch. Chicken snobs. They are wonderful pets.

Based on your sentiments above, are you sure you don't want to reconsider? Silver Creek is a great area where you can get a house on a few acres for the price of Jeremy Ranch. If you don't want to own a horse you can board one for someone that will pay for the service, and your daughter can attend to and exercise the horse if the owner would like. Or just looking out at the horse in pasture at the breakfast table is quite a thing.

You can get chickens again if you choose, your abutting neighborhood is Glenwild, very tony place with multi-million dollar homes, good for insulating property values and future appreciation. And horse people are a special breed (no pun intended) just down to earth, neighbor helping neighbor, potluck dinners, someone to trail ride with, etc.

Katz's sis will have to fill in for school info for Silver Creek, would know better than I.

Just some thoughts.....

Old 01-23-2012, 06:06 PM

Thank you for your kind response. We actually did look into the Silver Creek area. Beautiful area. A little too much land and not very much on the market right now in our price point range.

I have heard of a few horse boarding places nearby and would prefer to board only because it is safer to have trained people around, our daughter only being in the 7th grade. But I agree, horse people are awesome.

Park City seems so nice, with so much to do. Everyone I have spoken to either on telephone or via the internet has been so friendly and helpful. We will be there soon to look around the area. My husband also wants me to see the Harvard-Yale area outside of SLC as he thinks I would like that as well. I am not sure. I am kind of sold on Park City and the community feel it provides. At least as an outsider looking in, it appears that way. But any input is helpful to me and I really appreciate it. This is a huge move for us and we have lived on the east coast our whole lives. So, I am a bit nervous.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Is there much social divide based on $$$ (A lot of that here in Boston---how big is your house, what car do you drive, what neighborhood do you live in ect..) We are not showy, money people. We actually hate that.
Quote:
My husband also wants me to see the Harvard-Yale area outside of SLC as he thinks I would like that as well. I am not sure.
In my opinion, the Harvard-Yale area is the epitome of uppity. I lived there for six months. We actually sold our house at a loss just to get out because it was such a snobby area. Other people may have had different experiences, but that was mine.

Off to the play!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:52 PM

15,926 posts, read 27,790,964 times
Harvard-Yale is smack in the middle of SLC.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area