Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,739,295 times

Advertisements

I have to shout out loud. "WHERE WAS THE MOTHER" as yet another toddler gets run over by a parent. I keep shaking my head over these incidents here in Utah each year when parents either run their kids over or they let them drown in a nearby canal. What is it about not keeping an eye on them here? Is is such rocket science that even though they move quickly you can NOT keep a bead on them. Especially when they KNOW they can get away and into trouble. I'll NEVER understand it sorry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,376,460 times
Read this story in the paper this morning. I breaks my heart. It seems I read these kind of stories way too often here.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,230,061 times
keep an eye on our news station here Bay News 9 - Tampa News, Weather, Traffic, Entertainment, Politics... I wish our news was as good as yours, these stories are terrible wherever they are but the poor kids these days with there stupid/deadbeat parents are starting life with a huge disadvantage already. Its quite a shame, there lucky just to make it to adulthood due to the poor parenting you see every day.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 AM

I'm surprised I don't hear about more crocodiles getting kids for lunch in your area Tim

Old 02-01-2012, 06:22 PM

haha, they get a bad rap but they usually run away from you. Not to say I ever want to be near one but they dont typically just go eating people haha.

Typically its just shootings and other criminal behavior that gets the majority of our news.. I dont even watch it here, I rather just not be reminded how crappy everywhere else is compared to UT lol

Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 AM

Tim, I wouldn't be putting on those rose colored glasses so soon. You just described Utah's news daily. Shootings, drug raids, armed robberies, fatal car wrecks. Nothing new here. We are officially a "Big city" environment with all the trappings including some of the country's worst air quality. So with all due respect as bad as Floriduh is, this isn't the paradise you paint it to be. If you're good at ignoring things (think ostrich) you do fine here

Old 02-02-2012, 07:17 PM

14,383 posts, read 14,207,248 times
Quote:
Tim, I wouldn't be putting on those rose colored glasses so soon. You just described Utah's news daily. Shootings, drug raids, armed robberies, fatal car wrecks. Nothing new here. We are officially a "Big city" environment with all the trappings including some of the country's worst air quality. So with all due respect as bad as Floriduh is, this isn't the paradise you paint it to be. If you're good at ignoring things (think ostrich) you do fine here:
Well, dcsive. No one will ever accuse you of putting a positive spin on life in Utah will they?

I personally share many of your feelings about inattentive drivers. We have more than our share of them.

Your statements about crime though are utterly ridiculous.

I'm including citations to the actual statistics that are kept on crime. While crime statistics are often incomplete and often less than perfect, they will always beat someone's opinions and generalizations about this problem.

This citation shows you that Utah has the 46th lowest violent crime rate in this country. Florida, where Tim lives is the complete opposite. Its violent crime rate places it at the 5th highest rate in the country. Cities like Miami are particularly bad.

CRIME RATES

Now, the other issue you raise by implication is that since Utah is becoming like a "big city" that violent crime and property are greatly increasing. Not true. You need to look near the end of this article, but crime rates in Utah for property crime and violent crime and shown a continuous decrease since 1995.

Latter-day Saint Demographics/LDS Statistics/ Mormon statistics

I take the trouble to reply to these statements because I am sick and tired of people who make statements like "crime is increasing everywhere" and "none of us are safe". IMO, such statements are provably false and lead to an irrational hysteria.

Crime in Utah has always been lower than the national average and remains so.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:31 AM

Well Markie Mark you can quote all the statistics you like. When "it" happens to YOU then we'll talk. I'm at work from 7am till 3pm daily Monday through Friday. I WORK in the crime industry. I'm not trying to "invent" it it is my JOB to EXPOSE it. If you think you're living in Disneyland just because you're reading some skewed statistical paperwork I'm here to enlighten you. WAKE UP like all the rest in Utah. They are like ostriches with their heads in the sand. If all you want to do is argue statistical paperwork you've dug up don't bother. I'm dealing with the REALITY of it daily. It's my JOB as I say. You can go buckle up in your SUV, kiss the wife and kids goodbye in the morning and count your blessings you're NOT a victim to it. For anyone that chooses to so much as listen to the morning news be it radio OR TV and filter out the days debacle of crime occurring daily here that is indeed your privilege. Much of the crime I deal with is "commercial" and believe me there is more than enough to go around. That says nothing of the personal crimes that are more than plentiful in West Valley City, Taylorsville, Kearns, Magna, West Jordan, Glendale, North Salt Lake, Salt Lake inner city, South Salt Lake, Sandy and lots more. When applying a filter to ignore all of this stuff Utah seems like heaven. Indeed while you're biding your time and have managed to remain crime free your bubble is intact.

I for one have been held up at gunpoint in Sandy, have gone out on calls regarding armed robberies and burglaries galore, so don't tell me about "statistics". I will continue to illuminate that which is REAL instead of the illusion (delusion) that I keep seeing painted about this place we all know and love so dearly Before you say "if you hate it so much why don't you just move". Yeah don't I WISH. In this economy and housing market there is NO way it is reality right now. If and when that changes you can bet my car will be filled with gas and in DRIVE. That's not to say I'm trying to make the statement everything is wrong with Utah, NO by no means. BUT there are some gaping bleeding wounds that sure as shooting need some stitches and the quicker the better. Trust me....you ain't Daniel Boone and this ain't Happy Valley........sorry....

Old 02-03-2012, 01:05 PM

No place is perfect, Bad things happen everywhere but the number of bad things from my knowledge is much lower there.

What is it that you do if you dont mind me asking?

Old 02-03-2012, 02:22 PM

I work for a provider of sophisticated security systems to commercial business (and owners homes of such) as well as police relations. We are kept well aware of what goes on and where regarding crime of all kinds. I have to laugh at times about the "statistics" I've read of some areas of town. It is a bit like saying what your chances are of getting hit by a car trying to run across I-15 at various times of the day. They are highly skewed and quite inaccurate on the whole, but so many put all their faith in what they read. You don't even want to know half of what you DON"T get to read in media. It could have to do a bit with my level of cynicism that some folks here detect. The other part is due to my having lived here at a time when this crud didn't happen here for the most part. Certainly nowhere near the level it is today. But then as you say and know Tim, the entire world has changed in that way so how was Utah supposed to avoid it I guess. Oh well.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area