Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 22,190 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're moving to SLC in a few months and planning to buy a home (focused on areas near the University such as Avenues/9th and 9th/Sugar House/etc). I'm trying to get a better handle on the housing market and looking for a source of information regarding previous housing sales data for specific properties or addresses. I can easily find asking prices, estimates from Zillow or Trulia, and assessment values (all of which I know how to get). But what I really want is hard data on past sales history for a given property. A lot of towns and counties have web sites where you can look this information up but I can't find anything comparable for Salt Lake City or Salt Lake County. Does anybody have any suggestions about resources? Thanks in advance!

Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 03:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Other than a good RE agent, no.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:44 PM

762 posts, read 2,117,611 times
Utah is a nondisclose state when it comes to real estate; prices are private and are NOT public record (one of 13 states, I think, that are nondisclose), so you will not find past sales prices anywhere here---it's illegal to share.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:01 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Sam - Like TX, they respect the right to privacy in Utah (thank goodness).

A RE agent can pull numbers and history for you from anything listed in their MLS system but we only do that for our "Clients" not Customers.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:03 AM

5 posts, read 22,190 times
Thanks so much forthese replies! I was clearly missing a major piece of the puzzle with respect to the non-disclosure law. Coming from the East Coast, I hadn't even given this much thought but I can see why it will make the home-buying process significantly different. For one, I imagine that this will increase my reliance on my agent! This also helps explain why the price/value estimates provided by sites like Zillow are so terrible in SLC.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:31 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Also, no attorneys are involved to the extent they are on the East Coast. The contracts are standard form, there is something else in MA or some place that I had never heard of (Purchase agreement?),The title company handles the closing. Of course you can get an attorney to review the contract but I don't know of anyone who does. Having lived all my life in states that don't use attorney review, I only learned of this practice when I began reading C-D's Real Estate forum. Unlike the southern states I lived in, here you have to wait 3 business days before you get the keys. I always got keys at closing before moving here.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam h View Post
Hi,

We're moving to SLC in a few months and planning to buy a home (focused on areas near the University such as Avenues/9th and 9th/Sugar House/etc). I'm trying to get a better handle on the housing market and looking for a source of information regarding previous housing sales data for specific properties or addresses. I can easily find asking prices, estimates from Zillow or Trulia, and assessment values (all of which I know how to get). But what I really want is hard data on past sales history for a given property. A lot of towns and counties have web sites where you can look this information up but I can't find anything comparable for Salt Lake City or Salt Lake County. Does anybody have any suggestions about resources? Thanks in advance!

Sam
This is about as much as you are gonna get...unless you are a realtor:

Assessor, Salt Lake County

Old 03-24-2012, 12:49 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam h View Post
This also helps explain why the price/value estimates provided by sites like Zillow are so terrible in SLC.
I think Zillow is terrible in general to be honest. I would not look to that for accurate data. Good luck with your move though, we are placing our home for sale here in June to head back out.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 PM

4 posts, read 10,977 times
The Salt Lake Tribune keeps a quarterly database of home prices by zip code. This may help you as far as trending up or down and price ranges by area go: The Salt Lake Tribune - Wasatch Front Home Prices

Old 04-09-2012, 03:42 PM

62 posts, read 201,145 times
I feel for you, sam h, since I also came from an area of the country where easy access to public records made it fairly simple for me to decide on how much I thought a home was worth and make an offer. Here in Utah, you will find yourself doing much more "legwork" than back East, unless you want to trust someone who works for the seller. My experiences, so far, have been frustrating and time consuming as I continue to look for a home, but the bright side of the picture is that I haven't bought a property only to see it's value go down. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area