Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 10,018 times

Advertisements

Hello - I am relocating to SLC soon and would appreciate your guidance on where to live. I am female in late 30s and single. I have a very friendly 30-lb dog, and we love to take a long walk together when I get home from work. I live in Atlanta now, so I live outside the city with about 20 min-hwy driving time for home/work. I will work downtown SLC/South Temple St. I do not go out at night (no night life). I spend lot of time at home during the weekend as well. So home location is very critical for me. Please kindly advise the areas that you think would fit me best. I have been looking at the areas around (1) Olympus Hills Park/Holladay, (2) south of Stratford Park between 2000E &2300E, and (3) around Olympus High school between 2250E & 2300E. I saw one posting on this site saying there is less crime if it is east of 2300E, so I am a bit concern about anything west of 2300S. The area near Stratford Park and Olympus High School are only a few block west of 2300E. But I plan to live in SLC for a very long time (retire there), so I am afraid the crime will continue to move toward these areas as well. Safety is my first critiria... with being female living alone and walking my dog everyday routinely. My idea price range for the house is $250K to $300K ($350K will be max). Another important question-- I see on the map that the neighborhoods in SLC typically do not have side walks on the streets. Is it safe to walk on the neighborhood roads with my dog, since there is no side wall? Must I ride with my dog in a car to neighborhood park to walk everyday?

Thanks so much for your wisdom and expertise about SLC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I think all of Salt Lake City has sidewalks. You are looking at other cities/towns. The city itself is relatively small compared to the entire valley. In the city, safe neighborhoods are the Avenues, the Foothill area, Sugar House, HArvard/Yale, and 9th and 9th. I live alone in Sugar House with NO fear of crime. I have forgotten to lock my front door at times. The worst thing that happened was someone stole a brass cat statue off my front steps (we suspect the neighbor who is rather odd and a hoarder).

Above about 3300South, it is generally safe all the way to 700 East. But that comprises other cities as well.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 PM

[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
Hi SouthernBelleInUtah:

Thanks so much. You are right... I check and find that those areas with no side walk are outside SLC (e.g., Holladay).

For "all the way to 700 East", do you mean to look for places east of the "700 East" or the places west of the "700 East"?

Again, thanks : )

Old 04-02-2012, 02:18 PM

835 posts, read 2,075,981 times
I am over in East Millcreek and sidewalks are few and far between. We are just off Millcreek Canyon Rd and that road is so full of walker, joggers, cyclists etc but I have never seen an accident. It can be a wee bit sketchy in the AM as all the high school kids are "late" over to Skyline and will do anything to beat the bell. Tons of dog walkers and close access to Millcreek Canyon which I believe is the only one of the Canyons left that dogs are allowed.
I feel very safe in my area and love the access to everything.
I think Belle is right abut the 700 E "border" as in staying east of that yet there is funky areas east and south of there also. That is one of the amazing things about SLC and the adjacent neighborhoods, lots of hidden pockets of great places tucked away in some run of the mill neighborhoods.
Come visit for a week and see what ya think.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:11 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosaltlakecity View Post
Hello - I am relocating to SLC soon and would appreciate your guidance on where to live. I am female in late 30s and single. I have a very friendly 30-lb dog, and we love to take a long walk together when I get home from work. I live in Atlanta now, so I live outside the city with about 20 min-hwy driving time for home/work. I will work downtown SLC/South Temple St. I do not go out at night (no night life). I spend lot of time at home during the weekend as well. So home location is very critical for me. Please kindly advise the areas that you think would fit me best. I have been looking at the areas around (1) Olympus Hills Park/Holladay, (2) south of Stratford Park between 2000E &2300E, and (3) around Olympus High school between 2250E & 2300E. I saw one posting on this site saying there is less crime if it is east of 2300E, so I am a bit concern about anything west of 2300S. The area near Stratford Park and Olympus High School are only a few block west of 2300E. But I plan to live in SLC for a very long time (retire there), so I am afraid the crime will continue to move toward these areas as well. Safety is my first critiria... with being female living alone and walking my dog everyday routinely. My idea price range for the house is $250K to $300K ($350K will be max). Another important question-- I see on the map that the neighborhoods in SLC typically do not have side walks on the streets. Is it safe to walk on the neighborhood roads with my dog, since there is no side wall? Must I ride with my dog in a car to neighborhood park to walk everyday?

Thanks so much for your wisdom and expertise about SLC.
Any of the areas you have mentioned would be excellent choices. (I grew up on 1900 East, just off 2700 South and it was a really great area.) They are all actually quite similar to one another. Most, but not all, would have sidewalks. You should be able to find something nice in that area to fit your budget, and your dog should be fine (even in the areas without sidewalks). You won't need to drive to the park. You seem to have a fairly good grasp of the way the city is laid out. (Either that, or you're good at faking it. ) Either way, you might want to take a look at the OP of this thread. It sounds like you've done your homework. I hope you'll enjoy yourself in Salt Lake.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Anything east of about 700 East in SLC itself is generally a safe area. Can't answer for other cities.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:56 AM

25 posts, read 83,263 times
I lived in the avenues for 2 years. I LOVED it! I have two 40lb dogs, we went for walks on the sidewalk everyday straight from my house. Plus there is a great off leash dog park called lindsey gardens thats at the top of N avenue. I would even walk around the graveyard there by lindsey gardens at night with no problems. (although don't take your dog into the graveyard, it's against the law, miserable 90 dollar ticket) Also just below A avenue there's a place called memorial park, great off leash dog area! Plus directly above the avenues on the hills/mountains is the boniville shoreline hiking trail. GREAT dog hiking area! The avenues is extremely dog friendly, VERY close to downtown, very safe (never locked my car never had any problems!) and the people are pretty friendly. It's a wonderful place to live. If you can't tell I miss it.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:19 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
That area by Olympus High and such is superb. Very low crime and quite safe to say the least. Sounds ideal for your lifestyle. I'd stick with that

Old 04-05-2012, 03:31 PM

All: Thank you so much. I will visit SLC soon and look forward to relocating to SLC : )

Old 04-06-2012, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 17,829 times
SLC is very clean and safe for a major City. I lived in LA and Orlando before moving here. Even the bad areas here look good by comparison. I've walked around downtown by myself at night and felt safe. You won't want to live to close to the city center or in the Rose Park area. Lifestyle in The Avenues and Sugarhouse areas are great for a single lady. There are beautiful places to walk your dog and nearby shopping. With the rail system it's also easy to live in the suburbs if you want a more rural feel. I'm in Bountiful, about 15 min North of the City. It feels like I live in a small town but the city center is very close. I'm always forgetting to lock my house and car doors but have never had a theft. If you like the outdoors, this area of the state has some of the best trailheads (most allow dogs). Check out utahhikingandlakes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area