U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:43 AM

13 posts, read 37,998 times

Advertisements

I just got back from Washington State, and I like it there but I've also got a job offer in Salt Lake City Utah. Which would be good neighborhoods for a mid 40s guy that still likes a little bit of a night life. I know Im using lots of gas, going to Washington, and now Utah, but its a good idea to check out these places before moving there.

Ive heard the West Jordan area is nice. It seems though I would like Washington State better. Ive heard Utah is a hikers paradise I like hiking better than I like a night lift, so if the Salt Lake City area lacks in night life that would be fine if theres egnough outdoors stuff to do.

I lived in Colorado which is just the next state over from Utah. How different can Salt Lake City be from Denver Colorado? Can I expect warmer summers? Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 08:42 AM

618 posts, read 2,553,027 times
Summer weather in Utah is maybe 2 degrees warmer on average that Colorado over all. Summers will be very comparable to what you experienced in Denver.

As for West Jordan, I don't hate it, but it's not really close to anything you would be interested in, such as night life, etc. It is also near a municipal airport, and is right in the flight path of SLC airport, so there is a lot of plane activity.

I would recommend (it if is just yourself, you didn't specify whether you had anyone you were bringing with you, or if you were single), sugar house, or somewhere closer to down town salt lake, 900 east, and 900 south (where they meet) is a pretty nice area, and within walking distance to many bars, clubs, etc.

You will be able to find plenty of night life, as well as out doorsie stuff to do. You can get the best of both worlds here in Salt Lake City. I don't know if you plan to rent or buy, but check KSL.com for their rental classifieds. Anything close to the University of Utah will be fun and close to night life, but since you said you are in your 40's you may prefer being a bit closer to down town, and you could certainly find a one bedroom or even a studio apartment within your price range.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:24 AM

19,823 posts, read 56,018,889 times
Our winters are much better than Denver's. We have a very dry climate so snow is light and powdery. Our airport almost never closes for snow removal, in fact, I can't think of a time when it did in the past 11 years.

West Jordan is fine if you are married and like suburban life but I think you would be happier in the downtown areas like downtown itself, the Avenues, Sugar House, 9th and 9th, etc. Rent or buy? house or apartment or condo? Budget? where will the job be, approximately? how long a commute can you tolerate? Anywhere in SLC itself is going to be 30 min or less from the mountains.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-11-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 04-07-2012, 05:48 PM

It sounds like I might like it in Salt Lake City. I had pictured 120 degree summers, and Utah being mostly LDS that no alcohol would be allowed in that state, though that would be fine as long as there's egnough outdoors stuff to do. Though I found that the job in Salt Lake City would be at the north end, almost by a town called Woods Cross. As far as commute I could take up to about 20 miles of commute.

If I do move to Utah I would rent first to make sure the job works out, if it does I'll consider buying. If I do take the job in Salt Lake City I will be making $2600 a month, if I take the job in Washington State I would be making $2400 a month, so more pay if I move to Utah.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:44 PM

19,823 posts, read 56,018,889 times
The summer might bring 110 degrees but the humidity will be 5-6% and it's not for weeks on end. I have felt hotter and more miserable in lower temps with high humidity. Our summers are quite nice. SLC itself is barely 50/50 LDS and there are a fair number of bars.

Live downtown and drive to Wood's Cross.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast68 View Post
It sounds like I might like it in Salt Lake City. I had pictured 120 degree summers, and Utah being mostly LDS that no alcohol would be allowed in that state, though that would be fine as long as there's egnough outdoors stuff to do. Though I found that the job in Salt Lake City would be at the north end, almost by a town called Woods Cross. As far as commute I could take up to about 20 miles of commute.

If I do move to Utah I would rent first to make sure the job works out, if it does I'll consider buying. If I do take the job in Salt Lake City I will be making $2600 a month, if I take the job in Washington State I would be making $2400 a month, so more pay if I move to Utah.
Ha ha! Ya not at all. Salt Lake City has tons of bars and things to do It has a great transportation system. If you are in Woods Cross, you would be going against a lot of the major traffic to and from work, so the commute should be within the 20 minute range. The woods cross and bountiful area is very nice to live, but I think you would be happier closer to down town.

As for 120 degree summers, not even If you go south on the 1-15 about 4.5 hours to st. George, you will get those roasting summers. But up here in this high elevation and with the dryness of the air, you will rarely see a 100 or more degree day. I think on average we have maybe 10 or 15 days of 100 degree heat or more, sometimes not even that, and it's usually not for days on end, it's a day here or there, and it stays in the mid to upper 90's during July and the beginning of August. Having moved back to this area after being away for 6 years, from the Phoenix area last year, I can tell you, I will take the winters here over the hot weather there, ANY day of the week.

Let us know how your trip goes! You should really enjoy it.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the info, it sounds like Utah would be a good place for me. I will miss being in California though, I really like Redding but the job is about to end, so no job cant stay. I would like to be in Washington State because my mother and daughter live there. But if I end up living in Utah, I could always take a train or whatever to Washington State. Though knowing the job is almost in Woods Cross, I likely can rull out West Jordan as a place to look. How well can you live on $2600 a month, would I be able to live in Bountiful with that? Can I live in downtown Salt Lake City with that?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:42 PM

If you are making a total of 2600 per month, and you want to live alone, yes you could live on that, either in bountiful or near downtown salt lake city, if you find a one bedroom or studio apartment and if you don't have extra debt and bills beyond normal living expenses. If you found a room mate sort of situation where you were sharing a house, it might be cheaper, but it would depend entirely on what you prefer.

KSL is the best place to look for rentals in my opinion.

Utah News, Sports, Weather and Classifieds | ksl.com

Old 04-09-2012, 06:53 PM

601 posts, read 1,639,368 times
So you want to move to SLC and travel back and forth to WA state to visit your family because you would make 200 more??

That doesn't pay off at all. Traveling costs and being in a place which is not your first choice is never worth money.

If you come to Utah you have to love it, live it and accept it as it is

Old 04-11-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
So you want to move to SLC and travel back and forth to WA state to visit your family because you would make 200 more??

That doesn't pay off at all. Traveling costs and being in a place which is not your first choice is never worth money.

If you come to Utah you have to love it, live it and accept it as it is
I wouldnt move to Utah just for the extra money, but I feel I should give the job offer in Utah a chance before I plan on Washington. Many people live several states away from family members. But from the sound of things I would like it in Utah, Im not LDS but their good people from the people I met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area