U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2012, 12:13 AM

9 posts, read 5,665 times
Default Moving to area..what are the best public schools?

We will be moving to SLC area this summer with four kids in tow..elementary & middle school ages with a soon to be high schooler. My husband will be working in West Jordan so we're leaning towards the south end of the valley..Riverton..Herriman..draper. I also really like cottonwood/ milcreek areas because of the older homes/large yards/established neighborhoods.. but would the commute be bad? Which of these areas have better public schools..or can you suggest other areas. Also..any suggestions for affordable competitive soccer clubs/leagues? Thank You! I really appreciate any advice! We plan to rent initially but if it looks like we'll be staying for a few years we'd buy eventually so we'd like to find the right area from the get go so kids wouldn't have to change schools later on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 AM

13,898 posts, read 9,551,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkiaod View Post
We will be moving to SLC area this summer with four kids in tow..elementary & middle school ages with a soon to be high schooler. My husband will be working in West Jordan so we're leaning towards the south end of the valley..Riverton..Herriman..draper. I also really like cottonwood/ milcreek areas because of the older homes/large yards/established neighborhoods.. but would the commute be bad? Which of these areas have better public schools..or can you suggest other areas. Also..any suggestions for affordable competitive soccer clubs/leagues? Thank You! I really appreciate any advice! We plan to rent initially but if it looks like we'll be staying for a few years we'd buy eventually so we'd like to find the right area from the get go so kids wouldn't have to change schools later on.
I live in Cottonwood Heights and have done for 30 years. Getting from where I live to West Jordan would be about a 30-minute commute, just slightly longer than it would take from me to drive into downtown Salt Lake. That's one thing I like (among many) about Cottonwood Heights. It's probably about the most centrally located of any of the metropolitan Salt Lake areas.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 AM

16,279 posts, read 29,912,234 times
You can check out schools on www.GreatSchools.net (http://www.GreatSchools.net - broken link), to comapre schools within the state against each other. You cannot compare across state lines. You can check your kids' current schools to see how accurate you think it is.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:34 AM

14 posts, read 18,551 times
Forget the public schools... try for the Charter schools. They are free and have a higher educational standard. You just have to put your kids on the list and pray they get in.

Here's the Charter schools site:

USOE - Charter Schools - Charter Schools Home

School directory:

USOE - Charter Schools - School Directory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area