U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-20-2007, 12:01 AM

181 posts, read 444,016 times

Advertisements

I was driving through the south eastern part of Sandy (maybe even Draper) a few months ago and I got lost on a winding road in a hilly residential area. This area was much different than any other part of the valley I have been in...lots of trees, hills and this winding road that looked nothing like the typical streets of the Salt Lake grid. I seem to remember even descending into a canyon/gully type area while driving through the area.

At a certain point, while driving on this winding road, I came upon an old white church that looked as if it had been abandoned long ago. The churchyard was overgrown, there were big trees (if I remember correctly) and the whole thing almost looked as if it could have been the set of a creepy film.

Can anyone tell me where I was and what church I happened upon? I have tried to locate the area again, to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 11:15 AM

4,347 posts, read 8,478,722 times
My coworker lives in Sandy (White City). I asked her and she said it didn't sound familiar to her. I'll ask around. Good luck with your search for info.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:59 PM

181 posts, read 444,016 times
Thank you so much. Please do let me know if you find anything out!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 AM

37 posts, read 149,003 times
Default Dimple Dell... Granite Area

I believe the area you were in was the Dimple Dell/Granite area near the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. The church you probably saw was the old Granite LDS chapel that was built about 100 years ago (I believe the address of the church is somewhere around 9800 South and 3100 East). That particular area was settled decades before the suburban sprawl reached Sandy and has an interesting history (the Mormons quarried granite stone from the mouth of little cottonwood canyon back in the mid-1800's).

I live just a few blocks from the area... it's a mixed upper-middle class neighborhood with a lot of new homes (and some old). Mostly a new money.... In my opinion the area has some of the most beautiful mountain views of anywhere in Salt Lake Valley.

You can easily find the area by driving East on 9400 South (take 9000 South exit about 10 miles South of downtown Salt Lake on I-15) until you reach an LDS church at 3100 East. Turn right, the abandoned chapel is about 2 blocks done the road on the left hand side. If you proceed another block down (past another new LDS church) the road bends and you can turn left and follow the windy Dimple Dell Road down into the gully.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,197 times
Default Old White Church

I was just there and took pictures of this old white church, I thought it was great.

I would like to know the status of it though.

Who owns it, is it for sale or is it abandoned?

The location of the church is 3100 East and 9800 South, Sandy, UT

Old 09-24-2013, 05:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,197 times
According to the historical marker, this LDS Chapel was built in the 1890 in the mining town of Granite, Utah.
Originally a red brick building, this Victorian Romanesque Revival church was painted white around 1950. The floor plan is a simple rectangle design with a 1938 rear office addition. In 1965, a new and larger building was completed north of here. The original cornerstone was moved to the new meetinghouse and the Granite Chapel ceased being used as a religious structure.
In 1966, sculptor Avard Fairbanks purchased the building for $2,000 and used the building as his art studio until his death in 1987. His son now owns the building and uses it to store the works of his father. It is gated and closed to the public.
This building is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:28 PM

11,290 posts, read 9,897,515 times
I went to Granite Elementary across the street from that church as a kid and my grandpa used to live right by it up until a couple years ago.

I've been in the building before; the chapel was still full of Avard Fairbank's art and the son used to open it up every year (I think it was on either the 4th or 24th of July) for the neighbors to see. I'm not sure if he still does it though.

From what I've heard they've been given multiple offers for the place over the years but have never accepted any nor put it on the market. I believe the family want it to eventually become a museum dedicated to Avard's work.

Here's a link to a picture of the church:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfullmerfoto/4979115573/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area