Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 PM

835 posts, read 2,075,981 times

Advertisements

Great article in the Trib today about The Granary "neighborhood". An incredible effort by that community to turn what some would consider a dumpy area into a gritty/hipster mix of small homes mixed in with warehousing, rail yards and restaurants. While I don't consider myself a local like Lamborgotti does, it may be the "next best thing" in SLCounty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 PM

762 posts, read 2,117,611 times
Good advice already posted here: lower Aves, Marmalade would be good for you, but both neighborhoods can be a little pricey, which keeps them from being TOO artist/hipster friendly. Sugar House is too gentrified for my tastes and is like a young "upper Aves" to me; west of Sugar House (between 700 East and the South Salt Lake line at 500 East) might be better... it's still gentrifying.

All that said, I'd choose Central City (in fact, I did). Anywhere from South Temple to 1300 South, and State to 700 East would be great. It's young, hip, walkable to restaurants and bars (which you can't get in any of the other neighborhoods, except one bar in Marmalade), and parts are going to be the next gayborhood, I'm convinced.

The neighborhood west of Liberty Park can be funky (in a good way) and is still affordable. Also the area between Liberty and Trolley Square, if you're looking for an affordable home. For apartments, north of 400 South between 300 and 700 East is great.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:31 PM

4 posts, read 6,296 times
what about a place near 400 S and 900 E, Zionide? Seems most of your suggested areas stop at 700 E. Wondering what happens when you go two blocks east.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:50 PM

617 posts, read 2,821,461 times
I think all the areas that have been previously mentioned are a great fit for you guys. Also... not sure if it's possible or if you have thought about it.... but Park City is awesome, and there are lots of artsy fartsy things to do. It's very liberal IMO.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:32 PM

11 posts, read 78,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
It would probably be beneficial to define what "accept" means to you. Will you blend in? No. Are there other people like you out there? Yes. There are several neighborhoods, like all of the ones you mentioned, that cater to a more youthful and transient crowd, and I think you'd be comfortable in any of them. There are some pretty funky areas near the university, and I'd be willing to call them "hipster," (though, as a fashion at least, I would say the hipster scene is much less pronounced than it was a few years ago). The avenues are extensive and have a pretty diverse mix of people. I think that's your best bet. Sugarhouse has a growing urban center, but its neighborhoods are less diverse. Marmalade is a lot like the avenues, but not nearly as vast. Just know that the more expensive areas of the city, like Federal Heights, the Greater Avenues, Yalecrest, and the country club area of Sugarhouse are going to be more conservative and monotonous.

I've found that a lot of locals don't know their city or surroundings very well. If people opened their eyes and actually bothered to get to know SLC intimately (which the vast majority do not), they would appreciate how much it has to offer in the way of art, multiformity, etc. It's no Portland or Seattle, but it has a nice scene for those who are willing to look for it.
The question in bold gets to the heart of the matter.

I'm relocating to SLC this summer for work (Hallelujah!) and I'm a heterosexual Christian (non LDS) female of color. In preparation for this move, I've visited, asked questions, read up on the demographics, etc. I'm moving from an area in another region of the country that is one of the few relatively liberal spots in a rather White, lower-income conservative area.

I'll do the same thing in SLC that I did in the other area: live and conduct myself peaceably/neighborly, locate a community of like-minded folk/believers (large or small!), go to and enjoy my work and work peaceably with my co-workers, maintain my residence that meet/exceed (high) community standards and, knowing that we may not (and don't have to) agree on every single social/political/economic issue, I will live and conduct myself peaceably.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 PM

835 posts, read 2,075,981 times
I lived in Park City for 15 yrs and it is not a place that I would call " hipster". Artsy? maybe as there are tons of art galleries for such a small town. If you are a full on Earth Muffin or even a rich poser, PC is your town. Tons of outdoor activities, free concerts, a few good bars and restaurants. I knew several people that had "a" tattoo, one had 3. We all saved our money for mountiain bikes and ski passes instead.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 PM

762 posts, read 2,117,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcgradstudent View Post
what about a place near 400 S and 900 E, Zionide? Seems most of your suggested areas stop at 700 E. Wondering what happens when you go two blocks east.
Prices go up a bit without much else changing, at least that far north.

900 East and 400 South is a great awesome location. Still pretty "hip" as long as you're north of about 600 South (thank to the proximity of the University).

Housing downtown between 500 East to 900 East is pretty similar, but there's a price break at 700 East for some reason---prices go up as soon as you go east of 700 East, without much really changing from a residential perspective (until you hit 1300 East).

The price factor, and the fact that a lot of the bars, restaurants, and coffee shops are closer to the city center, is why I usually steer people west of 7th if they're concerned with walkability and immediate proximity to those amenities.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,749 times
What are is the best coffee shop in SLC? Also, can anyone recommend some good local/organic kind of restaurants? Also, best hikes? Visiting for a few days and want to make the best of our trip to SLC! Any info would be greatly appreciated Cheers, Kate

Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
A good local/organic kind of restaurant I can recommend: Sage's cafe. Wait for others on the coffee shop...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area