U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 12:13 PM

24 posts, read 200,063 times

Advertisements

Are there any hip/artsy areas in Salt Lake? We are familiar with the names "Sugarhouse", "Marmalade", and "the Avenues".... but do not know what the difference is between them. Is SLC a an accepting place for a non-married couple, heavily tattooed, young professionals, Non LDS? We ultimately desire to buy a home and make the city our home but want to be sure that our lifestyle and interests are accepted.... folks in early 30's coming from Portland Or. Thanks for any and all help/info.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 PM

243 posts, read 595,984 times
There are plenty of hipsters in SLC. You will likely enjoy the twilight concert series, as most of them do. You will probably want to stay away from the target mom type areas that are full of families, as that doesn't seem to match your lifestyle. The Avenues is probably your best bet. You will be accepted in SLC on varying levels depending on who you run into. There is a really cool music and art scene in SLC that I am sure you will appreciate. There are plenty of granola markets and a really nice farmers market in pioneer park. I think you will really enjoy SLC. BTW, are you fans of the TV show Portlandia? Just wondering.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:19 PM

19,856 posts, read 63,036,675 times
Only the lower Avenues area would be accepting. Sugar House, the 9th and 9th area (900 E and 900 S), Central City are good for you. The Marmalades is known as a gayborhood but it would also be accepting.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:06 PM

835 posts, read 1,978,609 times
Any of the other communities that you posted in would be better for you and your family than Salt Lake City. Utah is coming along but i would not even consider using "hipster" in a description of this area.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 PM

25,965 posts, read 27,123,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcourting View Post
Are there any hip/artsy areas in Salt Lake? We are familiar with the names "Sugarhouse", "Marmalade", and "the Avenues".... but do not know what the difference is between them. Is SLC a an accepting place for a non-married couple, heavily tattooed, young professionals, Non LDS? We ultimately desire to buy a home and make the city our home but want to be sure that our lifestyle and interests are accepted.... folks in early 30's coming from Portland Or. Thanks for any and all help/info.
I think you'd do fine in the Marmalade District and/or the lower Avenues. I'd stay away from the upper Avenues. (When you visit Salt Lake City, it will be readily apparent where the break begins.) 9th and 9th would also be a good area. I'd say 15th and 15th might work, but it might be a bit too conservative for your tastes. Sugarhouse may or may not work for you; it kind of depends on the specific address, as the area is actually pretty large. Too far east in Sugarhouse would probably not be a great pick. If you can find a home you like very close to Memory Grove, I can see it being a perfect fit for you. Memory Grove is just barely outside of downtown Salt Lake City. It's part of the lower Avenues where they meet the Marmalade District. The homes in that area are older and kind of pricey for the square footage, but in high demand.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:44 AM

1 posts, read 18,032 times
You'd like most areas close to downtown. Marmalade, 9th & 9th, and the area around Liberty Park are probably your best bets. Salt Lake has a good vibe. There are hipsters, tats, gays, artsy people all over downtown. Moderator cut: too new to post links, read TOS

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-16-2012 at 01:03 PM..

Old 05-16-2012, 09:00 AM

13,144 posts, read 21,614,787 times
Default Hip/Artsy Areas of SLC? Non LDS relocating.

There is art on the Wasatch front?!

All I see around here are churchy picture prints and Hobby Lobby mass produced junk. Oh yea, there is one store downtown that proudly displays paintings of cartoony naked women hugging fish in their display window, and there are cute little bronze seagulls on a trax station... Not sure if it counts as art though.

I normally have to drive to LA or San Francisco to see art.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:46 AM

25,965 posts, read 27,123,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
There is art on the Wasatch front?!

All I see around here are churchy picture prints and Hobby Lobby mass produced junk. Oh yea, there is one store downtown that proudly displays paintings of cartoony naked women hugging fish in their display window, and there are cute little bronze seagulls on a trax station... Not sure if it counts as art though.

I normally have to drive to LA or San Francisco to see art.
Well, stop by the Salt Lake Visitors and Convention Bureau and let me give you a "Salt Lake Gallery" brochure. And if it doesn't have enough decent art to satisfy you, you can always head up to Park City where there are lots of great galleries. At least it's closer than LA or San Francisco.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:48 PM

200 posts, read 948,227 times
Woohoo lets hang out

The lower avenues are awesome, wished I still lived there.
Sugar house is pretty cool too, nice outdoorsy people aboud, around Liberty Park there is always activity for the hip/artsy group. Also downtown, there is all the coffee shops, independent shops, bars, etc...

Come drive around, hang out a couple days, you'll definitely get a vibe of where you will fit right in.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:35 PM

498 posts, read 1,375,923 times
It would probably be beneficial to define what "accept" means to you. Will you blend in? No. Are there other people like you out there? Yes. There are several neighborhoods, like all of the ones you mentioned, that cater to a more youthful and transient crowd, and I think you'd be comfortable in any of them. There are some pretty funky areas near the university, and I'd be willing to call them "hipster," (though, as a fashion at least, I would say the hipster scene is much less pronounced than it was a few years ago). The avenues are extensive and have a pretty diverse mix of people. I think that's your best bet. Sugarhouse has a growing urban center, but its neighborhoods are less diverse. Marmalade is a lot like the avenues, but not nearly as vast. Just know that the more expensive areas of the city, like Federal Heights, the Greater Avenues, Yalecrest, and the country club area of Sugarhouse are going to be more conservative and monotonous.

I've found that a lot of locals don't know their city or surroundings very well. If people opened their eyes and actually bothered to get to know SLC intimately (which the vast majority do not), they would appreciate how much it has to offer in the way of art, multiformity, etc. It's no Portland or Seattle, but it has a nice scene for those who are willing to look for it.

Last edited by Lamborgotti; 05-16-2012 at 05:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area