U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 10:53 PM

7 posts, read 25,764 times

Advertisements

I am a 54 year old single woman on a fixed income, who would be wanting to move into a safe area. I will most likely need government assistance at first, or a roommate would be great too. I dont want to be in WVC, would like to stay on the east side of I15 if possible. Or the Provo area would work, too.

I have been looking at a number of low-income and elderly apartments on line, but I dont know if they're in a safe area or not. Some have been down town. In particular, a lady told me about Harris Apts., Lake St. Apts., New Grand, and Statesman. There are others on the SLC Housing Authority site, but I cant remember the names. They look nice and clean. I dont need a lot. Its just me, no dogs, needing to start a new life after husband left. I do have a car, so I wouldnt have to be on a TRAX line, but it might be better financially if I were.

Can anyone give me any advice as to what might be my best options? I really appreciate it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 08:49 AM

19,864 posts, read 60,298,276 times
If you are talking about Sec 8, have you checked the waiting list? Last I heard it was about 2 yrs. Other than that, it might be better to post addresses as many of us don't know apt names.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 AM

5,095 posts, read 15,355,789 times
I don't know if you mean SL City or County Housing Authority. They are separate.

Here are some from SL County's website:

General rental assistance info from SL County Housing Authority.

SL County Housing Authority's Sec 8 waiting list is 4.5 years. SL City HA is not taking applications for Sec 8. I guess their list is too long.

I don't know of any low income housing assistance programs that help others find roommates but I hope you find save, decent housing soon.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 AM

Default Thanks!

I have checked with the Sec 8 people and the list is actually closed. It wasnt much of a surprise to me because the list has been closed here in MO where I live for a few years now. I dont think I have the addresses of the apartment complexes I listed but will double check. I am feeling a little better as it seems like the prospect of roommates are pretty good right now. Thanks for your advice, and any more brainstorming would be appreciated!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:18 PM

763 posts, read 1,873,612 times
The senior and low-income apartments I'm aware of downtown (sorry, not familiar with the names) are all in reasonably safe areas. They are all near the central business district, west of 700 East and north of 900 South. I wouldn't worry too much about safety if you're in the downtown area. The apartment complexes further west, like in the 84104 ZIP code, are more problematic from a safety perspective (and I don't even know if they're low-income/senior or market rate).

Old 05-21-2012, 10:49 PM

Thank you. They gave me five complexes. The Harris Apts are at 836 S 5th E., so that's right in the general area you are talking about. The New Grand apts are at 7th E 4th S and the Statesman Apts are at 155 S 4th E. So they are all in that general area. The other 2 they mentioned are the Lake Street Apts at 2207 S 710E and one they just called Real Estate Brokerage at 562 S 6th E.

Since its just me, I dont want or need alot, nor do I want something that's big to have to take care of. I just want something clean, simple and safe.

Now, if my daughter and granddaughter move with me, that'll be a whole new ballgame and I most likely wont need financial assistance. Im praying, because I'll really miss that grandbaby!

Thanks again for your help!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 PM

763 posts, read 1,873,612 times
Okay--
Real Estate Brokerage (actually an 8-plex across from Trolley Square and adjacent to Western Garden Center): Excellent location, but a very old building that doesn't look too well-maintained.
Lake Street: Good location in Sugar House, but further from mass transit (until the Sugar House Streetcar is completed next year---a stop will then literally be next door to this building). Building is from the early '70s and seems okay, but not ideal.
Statesman: Decent historic building. Great location, seems adequately maintained from the outside but I haven't been inside this one.
New Grand: I don't know any buildings at this intersection... there is a New Grand building with apartments at 400 South and State Street though...
Harris: Similar to the Statesman. Good location, looks decent, but who knows what inside is like.

Of these, I'd pick the Statesman. But I like old buildings, as long as they're clean and maintained. You might check online for reviews of these.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 PM

Thank you! I like the older buildings too if the apts are not too rickety. I SOOO appreciate this info! Everyone has been a great help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area