U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:58 PM

12 posts, read 15,499 times

Advertisements

I know there are several threads on here about moving to the SLC area, but I felt I must start my own.

I am 40 yrs old and just graduated from college with a BA in education. Utah showed up as a state that has a high need for educators. My husband currently works in a steel mill as a mechanical maintenance supervisor. We have a 16 yr old daughter who will be a junior in high school. In our area there is a shortage of teaching jobs because 2 schools across the river in Indiana closed and all those teachers are taking jobs here; which is understandable.

I am in talks with the state education department about what I would need to do to teach in UT and my husband is searching for available jobs. Before we head out that way to visit I would like to get a sense of what it is like to live there.

Here in Kentucky we have all 4 seasons. The problem here is the humidity is horrible! From what I have read it seems as though UT doesn't have a big humidity problem, which is a plus. Are the winters really not that bad? Generally it is cold here in the winter, but doesn't always snow, and when it does it is icy or very slick.

So, many of the teaching jobs I have seen are for West Jordan. Someone posted on another thread that West Jordan "was a hole." What would be the best area to look at housing/apartment prices, good high school for my daughter, and reasonable distance for my husband and I to find work? He has sent resumes to DS Waters and OSI (I think).

At the schools, is there a big problem with accepting new kids, or are the students generally tolerant? Our county has a big problem with clicks and being accepted (even though they say it's not that way). My niece was treated poorly when she moved to our area and our daughter is worried that if we move she will be treated poorly by the kids who have always lived there. I can research online about academics, I am more curious as to opinions on social behavior etc.

I have also read a lot of comments on LDS. Our community here has an LDS church and one of my best childhood friends was/is LDS. We are not religious, but are open to other peoples opinions and thoughts. For about a year a couple of LDS missionaries used to come to our house and speak with my husband and me. We never converted (grew up Baptist) but we aren't (at this point in time) the type to go to church. I don't think that will be a big deal, right?

Any other information would be great. I want to plan a trip out that way, but don't want to waste my time when I get there. Any advice is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 06:29 PM

618 posts, read 2,551,672 times
West Jordan is certainly not a hole. West VALLEY is a hole IMO. Two different places. You don't have to live in West Jordan if you don't want to. The only issue I have with West Jordan, is that it is in the flight path of both the smaller municipal airport, and the SLC international airport. We looked at a place out there before we bought a house, and the airport traffic drove me absolutely bonkers while we were viewing the place. I couldn't personally do it.

More liberal areas of Salt Lake City tend to be Millcreek, The Avenues, and Sugarhouse. However, keep in mind that only 50 percent of Salt Lake City are active, practicing LDS members (mormon). Their are 1.2 million people in the Salt Lake City area. That's a lot of people who are not mormon or practicing mormons. Not being LDS here is not a big deal whatsoever. It's a huge hype, rumor, whatever you want to call it, that you will be isolated if you aren't LDS.

Your daughter should not have any trouble making friends. I don't know her personally, but if she is a people person, she should be fine. Anywhere you go, she will be "the new kid" and will face the same challenges getting to know people.

All the High Schools are pretty good in the Salt Lake area. As I said, stay clear from West Valley City. That is my only advice. There are a few areas that are right near West Jordan, that actually have a West Valley City zip code. But they are not like the majority of WVC, they are nice, quiet, and have HOA's.

Good luck in your move, and job hunt.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:38 PM

12 posts, read 15,499 times
Thank you for the info.

I have been reading posts and looking at pics, Utah looks like a beautiful place to live (I will need to get in shape though for all the outdoor hiking and such, lol).

Old 06-13-2012, 12:36 AM

17 posts, read 34,718 times
I agree with Calibelle's points on the other suburbs. Avoid West Valley and Kearns, they've got some nice spots but overall you don't want to buy there because resale value is not great in either of those areas.

As to West Jordan, that's where I live and I love it. It's a growing city (4th largest in the state as a matter of fact) and it has great schools and lots of young families. It's also a very affordable suburb to live in as well.

Any of the suburbs you choose will have a higher populace of LDS than the downtown areas, but like Calibelle said, it's not a huge deal being non-LDS. I am non-LDS and have never had a problem with any LDS that I've encountered, they're very nice people. They don't randomly come to your door like Jehovah's Witness do, they generally only will come if they've been recommended to by like a LDS neighbor of yours or if you call and ask for a visit.

I moved here from Indiana and I love it here. Don't want to return to the Midwest after living in the mountains. You're moving to a friendly city so have no fear

Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 AM

5,005 posts, read 14,466,295 times
Don't have kids, don't know about schools.

We have all four seasons here, but IMO, spring and fall are shorter and winter and summer are longer. You'll love the dry summers here. Be prepared with lotion, lip balm and conditioner for your hair. We do have snowy winters, but if you live in SL county, generally, the snow removal process is very well managed. I would recommend a FWD or AWD car. I hated driving my RWD car in the snow. I'd slide all over. Rarely does SL county have ice storms, but black ice can develop on roads when the snow melts and the temperatures drop overnight.

I don't know those businesses you mentioned in your post. If they're not in WJ, let us know what city they're in and we can guide you better.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:32 PM

618 posts, read 2,551,672 times
To answer your question about the winters here. I don't feel they are bad at all. That is from someone born and raised in southern california, and who lived in Phoenix, Arizona for 3 years. I would take the snow over raging heat and humidity any day of the week.

I actually really enjoy winters here. The snow is great here because of the dry climate, and it's not that horrible damp cold that chills you to the bones like you are used to. Really, the winters are quite tolerable. Springtime is so pretty, and autumn so comfortable and lovely. Summer here to me isn't hot, just because I spent all that time in Phoenix. I love that I can open the windows here at night and cool down. No need to run the a.c. 24/7, even in the peak of summer.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:19 PM

835 posts, read 1,791,194 times
I would double check on the information that we have a "need " for educators. I have several friends/acquaintances that have Masters degrees with the "teaching certificate" in hand that are not able to secure teaching positions. Like all states, Utah is struggling with education funding and jobs are being slashed/not filled etc. I don't want to be Debbie Downer here but without a Masters degree you may really struggle to find a teaching position, especially one with any benefits etc.

The climate here is fabulous in my opinion. Sure it gets pretty hot but as others have noted, we "usually" have low relative humidities until the Monsoon starts kicking in. Winters are great for the same reason of low relative humidity so we don't get that "damp chilly" thing going on. If the sun is out, and it is more than its not, I can run around without a coat on when it's below freezing. Love love love it here in Utah!

Old 07-01-2012, 02:59 PM

4 posts, read 40,562 times
Default Mormons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
West Jordan is certainly not a hole. West VALLEY is a hole IMO. Two different places. You don't have to live in West Jordan if you don't want to. The only issue I have with West Jordan, is that it is in the flight path of both the smaller municipal airport, and the SLC international airport. We looked at a place out there before we bought a house, and the airport traffic drove me absolutely bonkers while we were viewing the place. I couldn't personally do it.

More liberal areas of Salt Lake City tend to be Millcreek, The Avenues, and Sugarhouse. However, keep in mind that only 50 percent of Salt Lake City are active, practicing LDS members (mormon). Their are 1.2 million people in the Salt Lake City area. That's a lot of people who are not mormon or practicing mormons. Not being LDS here is not a big deal whatsoever. It's a huge hype, rumor, whatever you want to call it, that you will be isolated if you aren't LDS.

Your daughter should not have any trouble making friends. I don't know her personally, but if she is a people person, she should be fine. Anywhere you go, she will be "the new kid" and will face the same challenges getting to know people.

All the High Schools are pretty good in the Salt Lake area. As I said, stay clear from West Valley City. That is my only advice. There are a few areas that are right near West Jordan, that actually have a West Valley City zip code. But they are not like the majority of WVC, they are nice, quiet, and have HOA's.

Good luck in your move, and job hunt.
Only 50% of Salt Lakers are Mormon. A far smaller % are active and practicing. Its a good place.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 14,579 times
Default Living in Salt Lake City

I've lived in Salt Lake City for the majority of my life (with exception to going to school in Logan and living in Layton and Sandy for bit after graduation), with the majority of my time in The Avenues.

I am not LDS (or any other religion for that matter). I am married, with no kids, but I do have a couple of furbabies (cat, dog). If you are a renter, you can find housing that will allow pets, but many limit it to just one or two, or prohibit certain breeds; also be prepared to pay an extra pet deposit and/or a monthly pet rent on top of the regular rent.

There are definitely nicer areas in Salt Lake County than others; Personally, I love living in the Avenues. It sits right in between the busy central Downtown and University neighborhoods, so it is close to everything, You can be in the city center or the canyon in just 5-10 minutes and you could be up in the mountains in 15-20 minutes. TRAX and Frontrunner can get you anywhere in the valley from the SL International airport, to Provo, to Ogden and anywhere in between. It's fast and cheaper and cleaner than driving a car every day.

What I love most about The Avenues is the walkability and how close everything is. It's also very historic and for the most part, pretty quiet. It's also got some really gorgeous homes. If I didn't live in The Avenues, I would also consider living in Sugarhouse, by the U of U, near Liberty Park, and possibly the Brickyard area and South Salt Lake. I like being close to stuff happening Downtown-I didn't enjoy living out in the 'Burbs, mostly because it was a long way away from all the Downtown action, and the traffic during peak hours was atrocious, far worse than anytime Downtown. Also, out in the 'Burbs, even though the interiors might be different, everything looks exactly the same on the outside; none of the houses or neighborhoods had any character or personality. I need diversity and creativity to thrive, and the 'Burbs just didn't do that for me.

Salt Lake is a growing city-it has pretty much everything you need. There is no need to worry about not being LDS-Salt Lake City is about 50% LDS and 50% everything else (though as it grows, it seems the Everything Else category is gaining percentage points over the LDS category...).

I don't have kids, but I was one once, and the schools I went to were all pretty good. I have friends with kids, and they seem to think they are still pretty good, so I'll just have to take their word on that one.

Salt Lake isn't huge, but it is big enough to attract some attention, despite kind of being a geographical oddity out in the middle of nowhere (with Denver being an 8 hour drive away, Vegas 6 hours and Los Angeles 12), We get a fair share of artists and bands, touring Broadway shows, sporting events and exhibits. We have professional basketball, hockey and soccer teams and venues big enough to hold large conventions like Comic Con and Outdoor Retailers. Sundance Film Festival is here (as well in Park City, Ogden, and Provo), which always draws in some excitement.

We have 4 distinct seasons and a growing season sufficient enough to grow fruits and veggies that take longer to grow. Winters aren't too bad, though they vary from year to year-some years they are downright balmy and other years they can be quite treacherous and miserable. So far, this winter has been pretty good, with only a few heavy storms. Summer is generally nice too, with low to no humidity, and tolerable temperatures most of the season. It does go over 100F on occasion, which is also miserable (anything over 85F is really pushing it for me ...). We've also been experiencing humidity more these past few summers, but nothing in comparison to East Coast humidity.

If you are health conscious or of the outdoorsy type, we have a multitude of outdoor recreational activities to engage in-skiing, snowshoeing, running, swimming, rock climbing, spelunking, paragliding, hiking, golfing kayaking...you name it, you can do it here. You don't even have to worry about inclement weather-some of these things you can even do inside.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:34 AM

601 posts, read 1,638,013 times
Religion is never a reason for conflicts in high schools here. Most times there are gang or race related issues among certain groups. Being LDS or not does not matter and is not an issue.

Consider the places around Salt Lake or up north as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area