Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2012, 01:41 AM

8 posts, read 18,368 times

Advertisements

Well I posted in April that I may be moving to the SLC area this summer and my transfer has finally been approved. We will be moving from the Seattle area to SLC sometime in the middle of August. I will be working as a Letter Carrier for the U.S. Postal Service possibly out of the Cottonwood Heights Post Office and my wife will be working for Delta Airlines near the airport.
I am in the process of selling my house here in Washington and getting serious about finding a nice house for sale in SLC. The areas I have been looking in include Cottonwood Heights, Murray, Midvale and possibly Sandy. We are looking to purchase a home in the low $200k range, and we want to live in a quiet, safe, family friendly area. We have a 16 year old son and a 7 year old daughter, my wife is asian and I am white. Do any of you have any suggestions or advice about which parts of town might be better than others for a mixed race couple? We are not LDS, but I have no problem with members and actually find them to be wonderful people overall. I also want to find a neighborhood that will be convenient for my wife to commute to the airport from. I would really appreciate any advice that you guys could give me and I have greatly enjoyed reading your posts about SLC and Utah for the past few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 08:32 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postalmarky View Post
Well I posted in April that I may be moving to the SLC area this summer and my transfer has finally been approved. We will be moving from the Seattle area to SLC sometime in the middle of August. I will be working as a Letter Carrier for the U.S. Postal Service possibly out of the Cottonwood Heights Post Office and my wife will be working for Delta Airlines near the airport.
I am in the process of selling my house here in Washington and getting serious about finding a nice house for sale in SLC. The areas I have been looking in include Cottonwood Heights, Murray, Midvale and possibly Sandy. We are looking to purchase a home in the low $200k range, and we want to live in a quiet, safe, family friendly area. We have a 16 year old son and a 7 year old daughter, my wife is asian and I am white. Do any of you have any suggestions or advice about which parts of town might be better than others for a mixed race couple? We are not LDS, but I have no problem with members and actually find them to be wonderful people overall. I also want to find a neighborhood that will be convenient for my wife to commute to the airport from. I would really appreciate any advice that you guys could give me and I have greatly enjoyed reading your posts about SLC and Utah for the past few months.
Hey, postalmarky. It's me, Katzpur, from Cottonwood Heights. I'm still touting my area. I do know of one home just a few blocks from me that is priced in the low $200k range. I've never been in it, so I can't tell you much about it. Most homes in Cottonwood Heights will be a bit more expensive than that, but I'm sure there are a few in that range. You'd be five minutes away from the post office and your wife would be twenty-five minutes away from the airport. Murray and Midvale might be a little more affordable, but I think you'd be happier in Cottonwood Heights. Sandy? It's a little farther away from your work but not much. Like Cottonwood Heights, most (but not all) of the homes are going to cost you a little more than you're looking to pay. I hope you find something soon and will enjoy Salt Lake City!

Old 06-16-2012, 12:15 PM

617 posts, read 2,821,461 times
In Cottonwood Heights, you could get a house in your range, but it will be older and may come with some problems. Keep an eye out for foreclosures, you may be able to get something newer and have it be in your price range.

Given where you both will be working, I think Cottonwood Heights is a FANTASTIC choice to buy a house. It's really beautiful. Great time to buy too here in Utah, get on it, because housing prices are going back up!

Sandy is nice, you could to something closer to the 2-15, but honestly if it were me.... I'd pick Cottonwood Heights over any other place in the valley. We ended up buying in Draper last month, (we love our house, don't get me wrong) because it's close to my husband's work, (walking distance), and because there wasn't much inventory when we were buying that was just a normal sale. So many houses are foreclosures and short sales right now. So like I said, if you have the time to hold out for a short sale, do it. Especially in Cottonwood Heights LOVE that place.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:40 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
CH, Sandy and Draper are all nice..... but I must say the market is heating up. You may want to act sooner than later.

All of the foreclosed homes in my immediate neighborhood have been gobbled up in the last couple of months.... and a house just up the street from ours (in a Sandy/Draper border neighborhood)... sold just last week by a guy who married and is moving to Phoenix - had FIVE offers on it.

It sold for $223,000. He didn't take the highest offer.... because they wanted closing costs.

We have direct access to the I-15 (close to 114th South) and Cottonwood Heights via 13th East. A great neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area