Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 04:01 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,050 times

Advertisements

On the Salt Lake Tribune website today, one of the headline stories was about the growing gang problem out there in Provo. They said that gangs such as MS13 are previlant and that graffiti is becoming much more common.

However, they do seem to be working at the problem, hopefully it won't get any worse. I, too thought that Utah was OK when it came to gangs. I'm debating on whether I should move to Portland or SLC. But now, after reading these posts, they both seem to be having the same grwing problem.

Anyway, here's the link. Provo gangs up on graffiti problem - Salt Lake Tribune

Old 04-11-2008, 10:11 AM

150 posts, read 474,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder_Shawn View Post
Just like anywhere in the country there are going to be gangs. I would surmise the largest population of gangs in SLC are in the central and western parts (west of I-15). There is a significant population of gangs in West Valley, Magna, and Rose Park. East Salt Lake seems to have less gang members, but who knows lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
I detect a definite bias against the west-side of the valley. I moved here from Virginia last year. My family chose to buy a new house on the border of Magna and West Valley. I love our neighborhood. It is beautifully designed with paths, green space, and the houses are all new with nice yards. There is a new school that will be ready for my daughter's first year of kindergarten. Up the street are horse properties and the area has a nice country feel despite being 10 miles from downtown.

All of our surrounding neighbors are college-educated professionals, and most have young kids about the age of our kids.

I have never seen any sign of gangs. I did once see the police pull a car over and arrest the driver up the street from our house. I have know idea why. Other than that have not seen any signs of crime.

As I watch the news, crime reports come in from all over the valley. One day there might be a story about a convenience store robbery on the east side of SLC, the next day it might be in West Valley, the next day the report can be from the south part of the valley. In my opinion the "bad guys" have cars and drive around.

Of course some neighborhoods are better than others. When we were looking for a house, we could get a feel just by driving through an area. I remember a couple of dubious looking neighborhoods in West Valley closer to I-15 and in SLC, but as far west as we are, I can't say I see anything wrong with the area.
Not all of the western side is like that. The West Jordan/Taylorsville/South Jordan/Herriman areas don't have gang activity. You see a lot of nice neigborhoods in those areas.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartacus View Post
Utah is very friendly to illegal aliens, and the welfare system is included in that. This means Mexicans and others feel very safe there, so you have the gang problem. The only way to deal with it is to stop being a sanctuary state.
They passed a bill in the legislature earlier this year that would make things impossible here for them. Similar bills have been passed in other states and it worked for them. It doesn't go into effect until July of 2009.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,717 times
Default The Happy Campers Gang?

Hello,

Has anyone from the Salt Lake City area heard about a nontraditional gang called, 'The Happy Campers'?

I read this from a comment on a blog, about a group of teens and young adults who are either homeless, from shelters, or otherwise have a history of run-ins with the law. These young adults are recruited and promised college educations from a leader(s).

The gang reportedly preaches an anarchist/rebellious attitude toward the middle and upper classes.

The gang is said to be well versed in graffitti and tagging, and uses as it marker a smiley face.

If anyone has any information regarding this group/gang, please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,446 times
Default Utah Gangs

Utah kinda sux. 2 of my friends (non-gang members) were killed in Utah by gangsters. So I moved back to California and haven't had any problems since.

Utah? Wouldn't live there is you paid me.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:43 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utah_the_sucky_state View Post
Utah kinda sux. 2 of my friends (non-gang members) were killed in Utah by gangsters. So I moved back to California and haven't had any problems since.

Utah? Wouldn't live there is you paid me.

So...um....why are you hanging around a Utah forum if you don't live here, nor want to??

Old 10-15-2008, 11:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangbuster View Post
Hello,

Has anyone from the Salt Lake City area heard about a nontraditional gang called, 'The Happy Campers'?

I read this from a comment on a blog, about a group of teens and young adults who are either homeless, from shelters, or otherwise have a history of run-ins with the law. These young adults are recruited and promised college educations from a leader(s).

The gang reportedly preaches an anarchist/rebellious attitude toward the middle and upper classes.

The gang is said to be well versed in graffitti and tagging, and uses as it marker a smiley face.

If anyone has any information regarding this group/gang, please let me know.

Thanks!
Only gang mentioned by name has been the Jugalos, from Insane Clown Posse fame. MS-13 is active also.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:56 PM

550 posts, read 2,168,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utah_the_sucky_state View Post
Why do I seriously doubt this?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 AM

702 posts, read 1,983,519 times
Gangs in Utah?? ahhahahahhahahahahaha hahahhahaha..sorry Im so amused when people are scared of this state

Old 10-16-2008, 09:43 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,206 times
I, too, was shocked when we moved here that everyone was talking about the gang problem...and this was 14 years ago. DH and I would call them wannabes. Real gangs are in LA, Philly, ect. Salt Lake is a very mild mannered state. One of the reasons I love it here. I have no doubt that there is some sort of "gang type" behavior here, but as far as the true gangs....??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area