Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 11:11 PM

30 posts, read 62,417 times

Advertisements

We are going to be relocating to SLC area with my employer. We currently live in Spokane, WA and our house is for sell. We did take a tour with a a real estate agent last month and also ventured out on our own and looked at several home builders. It seems like the housing market is doing better than most for buyers right now in the SLC cities. Our max budget for a house is 250,000. We looked at Ivory, Macarthur, Richmond, Bach, and DR Horton homes. We looked at Herriman, but it seems so undeveloped, and from another thread I read tons of construction going on. It's my wife and 1yr old daughter right now and I will be working from Draper right off the 15 fwy. What cities would be best resale value out of Herriman, South Jordan, and Riverton? Is it better to find an older home in an established neighborhood for transplants or to buy new construction and have more diversity with other people that move in?

On a side note, we are not LDS and have heard from some people that non LDS children could be excluded from the neighborhood kids who are LDS. Are there some PCA peeps on this forum that can shed some light on neighborhoods they live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
We are not LDS, but my kids have had no trouble fitting in at all. They both (daughters) have a good mix of friends that are LDS and non. Don't pay any attention to the naysayers. If you are friendly, you will fit in just fine. I wish I could help you find a good neighborhood, but I live in Tooele County. I will tell you to stay away from Richmond. Their quality is supposed to be subpar.

Good luck with your relocation!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:12 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
Well, no doubt some other Herriman residents will chime right in. I built a home here just shy of 10 years ago. That was when Herriman was booming and indeed there was not much here at the time at all. Rosecrest (the developer) came and turned this place into all but a circus. They aren't done yet but at least it has slowed a tad up the hill. The new road (Hwy 85 or Mountain View Corridor) which just had a leg from Herriman to Riverton finished) speeds the commute up a tad. For you it won't be much of a commute if you're in Herriman. I'm there in 10 minutes or less. The home values here however were also pretty badly hit by the recession. We are now about $100k in the hole as are most folks who bought here over the last 10 years. Draper has a lot to offer as well and has excellent schools and lots of shopping nearby. Here most of the good stuff you have to drive to. They continue to work on the roads in Herriman and the Towne Center should be good for parents and their kids regarding recreation and such. Prices for a decent 3 bed 2 bath new here are now in the $180k-$250k range. Those builders you mentioned are ok as well. I recommend you monitor the process as many can be real sloppy with the stucco and finish process.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:16 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,013 times
South Jordan would have the best resale value... But, I know a lot of people who have built with McArthur and have nothing but positive things to say. Because South Jordan is so desirable, you'll spend more than you would in Herriman or Riverton.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:07 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,689 times
I live near the Sandy/Draper border - near 10th East and just south of 114th south. A neighbor's 3 bedroom home just sold for 232K.

Great neighborhood - and resale value - we aren't LDS either.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:36 PM

617 posts, read 2,821,461 times
I wouldn't live in Herriman. Everything is too far out there. You pay less for a house, but a lot of those houses are really crammed in there. Also you end up spending more in gas in the long run due to traveling to the freeway, etc.

There is another good thread about Herriman. You may find it helpful, and see a lot of question answered by sifting through it. Here ya go:Your thoughts on Herriman?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM

30 posts, read 62,417 times
My employer is going to give us 60 days of temp living assistance, and is going to pay for closing costs on a new home, and will move our stuff and our cars.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-26-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 07:06 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
Ain't no "lake" in Herriman, but there are a few ponds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area