U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 05:21 PM

8 posts, read 19,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasia Ann View Post
We usually go to Pineview Res. and go to the beach part on the peninsula. That really is as close to a "beach" as we have found living in Layton.
I had a chance to check out Pineview Reservoir today. It had a very nice beach area, all things considered The two downsides were $13 entrance fee which seems ridiculous to me and it was so full there were no parking spaces, i had to wait 30-40 minutes to get in. I took some pics from the center beach area. It looked like you might be able to access some beach areas from Rt 39.

Some pics from today

Attached Thumbnails
Beach and or sunbathing places near SLC-pineview-reservoir.jpg   Beach and or sunbathing places near SLC-pineview-reservoir-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 05:26 PM

618 posts, read 1,669,649 times
So they have completely ruined the Herriman reservoir. We went yesterday for the first time since last summer. They built a cement divider in an effort to create a shallow area for kids to play that is separate from the rest of the reservoir which is quite deep. All they succeeded in doing was creating a stagnant area of water that is squishy, murky, and smelly. If they would have some sort of system that would cycle the stagnant water in with the rest of the reservoir, then it would work fine. But they don't. The water in the shallow area just sits, and stinks, and is full of a black, oily substance. We left after 15 minutes, we were so disappointed, because they ruined a wonderful no money fun thing to do.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 PM

16 posts, read 15,285 times
we visited Deer Creek Reservoir yesterday. a little rocky, but a pretty nice place.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:28 AM

176 posts, read 191,404 times
A few local lakes have good places, as has been mentioned, Pine View is great and has a few excellent beaches. My family was one of the first families in that valley, and so we know a few beaches where you don't have to pay, but still get a bit of sand. If you look hard enough, you can find them. A few other places worth mentioning that may have some good lake fun, but may or may not have the typical sandy beach:

Deer Creek, Jordanelle, Strawberry, Scofield, Payson Lakes (fee to enter), Bear Lake, Uintahs (hundreds of small lakes anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours from SLC), flaming gorge (worth the drive for the cliff jumping), tibble fork (more for fishing), Salem pond, Float the Provo river on a tube, Yuba reservoir, burraston ponds (local kids have a cool rope swing here), sandy beach on the southeast side of Utah Lake offers some decent sand on Utah Lake (near lake shore, Utah), highland glen park in highland/american fork, Echo, rockport, hot pots up diamond fork, fish lake (again, worth the drive, not great beaches), joes valley res., and of course great swimming and beaches at lake powell

Enjoy exploring each of these areas! I have been to all of them and have gone swimming in most of them!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:11 PM

11,116 posts, read 8,836,522 times
I know it's not exactly close, but Bear Lake is my favorite place to get wet in Northern Utah.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 PM

140 posts, read 118,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.dave1 View Post

I had a chance to check out Pineview Reservoir today. It had a very nice beach area, all things considered The two downsides were $13 entrance fee which seems ridiculous to me and it was so full there were no parking spaces, i had to wait 30-40 minutes to get in. I took some pics from the center beach area. It looked like you might be able to access some beach areas from Rt 39.

Some pics from today

Glad you got up there. Yes, the entrance fee is high. Went up from last year's $11.00. We usually go on Sundays or Midweek to beat crowds.

We got up to Bear Lake. Went in to the South End at Rondevous Beach first but was NOT impressed. It was $8.00 to get in and was muddy and "very" shallow with sticks from weeds poking out everywhere. We got our money back and went to the North end in Idaho (as someone else on this post suggested). Much Better! Was $5.00 entrance fee. Much more beach and very sandy when you get in the water. The water was nice and cool. The color of the water is neat to see. We endulged in their famous "Rasberry" shakes also. They were refreshing. We thought the drive through the canyon to Bear Lake was really beautiful. Hope to fish in the canyon next time we go up

Had a chance to go to Willard Bay Resevoir also. It is $10.00 entrance fee. Pelican beach at the end of the North Beach seemed to be OK. There are a lot of boats and jet skiis everywhere but we floated on rafts and enjoyed the water. At about 4pm, there were these little bugs that came out like gnats but at least they didn't bite.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:35 PM

618 posts, read 1,669,649 times
We just went to Jordanelle on Thursday. We loved it. Maybe a bit of a drive compared to other places, but it was a lot of fun.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasia Ann View Post
Glad you got up there. Yes, the entrance fee is high. Went up from last year's $11.00. We usually go on Sundays or Midweek to beat crowds.

We got up to Bear Lake. Went in to the South End at Rondevous Beach first but was NOT impressed. It was $8.00 to get in and was muddy and "very" shallow with sticks from weeds poking out everywhere. We got our money back and went to the North end in Idaho (as someone else on this post suggested). Much Better! Was $5.00 entrance fee. Much more beach and very sandy when you get in the water. The water was nice and cool. The color of the water is neat to see. We endulged in their famous "Rasberry" shakes also. They were refreshing. We thought the drive through the canyon to Bear Lake was really beautiful. Hope to fish in the canyon next time we go up

Had a chance to go to Willard Bay Resevoir also. It is $10.00 entrance fee. Pelican beach at the end of the North Beach seemed to be OK. There are a lot of boats and jet skiis everywhere but we floated on rafts and enjoyed the water. At about 4pm, there were these little bugs that came out like gnats but at least they didn't bite.
Thanks for the tip on Bear Lake! Good to know what to avoid
I had seen Willard bay on the map and wondered if it was worthwhile. Good to know it's decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
We just went to Jordanelle on Thursday. We loved it. Maybe a bit of a drive compared to other places, but it was a lot of fun.
Thanks for the recs; I still need to check that out as well. Last weekend I tried out Rockport instead of Jordanelle . . . poor choice on my end.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 PM

Default Rockport Reservoir

Last weekend I checked out Rockport reservoir as its pretty close to SLC. I was disappointed. All of the shoreline that I checked out was rocky and muddy. It looked like a decent fishing and boating area. Definitely NOT a good relax on the beach area. I forgot to take pics, sorry.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:35 PM

140 posts, read 118,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.dave1 View Post
Last weekend I checked out Rockport reservoir as its pretty close to SLC. I was disappointed. All of the shoreline that I checked out was rocky and muddy. It looked like a decent fishing and boating area. Definitely NOT a good relax on the beach area. I forgot to take pics, sorry.

It's refreshing to hear info on Jordanelle and Rockport. Keep the info coming. Now, if we take a trip to be within 20-30 mins from where we are, we go to Pineview or Willard Bay. Everybody has to make a choice that is close and economical for their family as well as enjoyable. Our gauge is our kids, and what they get their enjoyment from as far as beach fun. Our kids are from Lake Tahoe and they set their gauges high but we have taught them to enjoy what other environments have to offer and so we have a good balance. Utah has very good qualities(although expensive) and we support their efforts in preserving and promoting the environment of Utah "outback". FYI- It costs $7.00 for parking in Roundhill Pines, NV on Lake Tahoe, to enjoy the beach. Just a thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area