U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-28-2007, 09:20 AM

7 posts, read 21,690 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been reading a lot of the posts on here about the SLC area and I have a few questions.

What is the winter like in SLC area? I live in Fl. now but I have lived in Philly and Va. Beach. Is winter longer in SLC area than Va. ? Philly ? Better ? worse ?

Also I have seen a lot of different thought as to how non LDS people are treated. One of the reasons I am attracted to the area is that my family shares much of the same values as the mormans ( we don't drink or smoke, we have four kids and most of our time is spent with family activities. ) I would love to live in a place where family life is highly valued and my teens could meet other teens that don't drink, smoke etc. Will it really be a problem for them to make friends because we are not LDS even though we share so many of the same values ?

Last but not least- I homeschool all four of my children. Is there anyone that can give me some info. on the homeschool scene in SLC/ Ogden area? Is there a lot to do for homeschoolers? My two oldest are currently taking classes at the public high school and middle school here in Fl. and playing on their school sports teams. They would also like to enroll part time in public school classes and play sports when we move. I have read that it is legal to do that in Utah too. Anybody have children duall enrolled in public school ?

Thanks in advance for any info. you can share !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 12:14 PM

4,379 posts, read 8,647,404 times
The past few winters in the SL valley have been quite mild. I've only had to shovel my driveway 4 times. I have a very nice neighbor with a snow thrower who clears my driveway when it snows over 6 inches. Perhaps you could be so lucky to have a neighbor like that. Or you could just buy one for your family.

Unfortunately, we also have inversions here. Last year was the worst year for that, IMO. The air gets so dirty and unhealthy.

Make sure your home doesn't have a north facing driveway. The snow takes too long to melt. Also get a front wheel or four wheel drive vehicle. They're a must for driving in the snow.

I don't know anything about home schooling. Perhaps someone else could respond to that. This is a great place to raise a family. There are lots of kids here. Utah's median age is 27.....a very young state.

Welcome to Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area