U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-04-2012, 06:38 PM

618 posts, read 1,798,499 times

Advertisements

We spent a lot of time at the Blackridge/Herriman pond/reservoir last summer. It has a Sandy beach, and provides no money fun for the kids and family. Beautiful views on the Salt Lake valley.

Yesterday we went to the Reservoir. They have put in a cement gutter/divider into the water in an attempt to separate the deeper part of the reservoir from the shallower part.... to create a play area for the kids. However, all this has done is create a stagnant trench of water that stinks, is full of slime and muck, and has added a horrible black tarry substance to the sand there. I think if there was some irrigation/water movement system that rotated the water around, it is a great idea. But there is not at all. Instead, my kids got their swimsuits stained with the black muck, and stunk so bad after 10 minutes playing in the water and sand. It is so disappointing. I don't understand who's bright idea it was to create this system without installing some sort of system that recycles the water. If the water level were higher, and constantly flowed in and out of the shallower area... it would probably work. But still, I don't see that that particular reservoir is lower in water than it was last summer, I think that the water level is pretty standard for this place.

So disappointing. Has anyone else been there both this summer and last, and if so, do you know what I am talking about????

Just frustrated, we were so looking forward to no money fun at the reservoir, and instead... someone has mucked things up.... PUN intended.

Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:03 PM

494 posts, read 1,217,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
We spent a lot of time at the Blackridge/Herriman pond/reservoir last summer. It has a Sandy beach, and provides no money fun for the kids and family. Beautiful views on the Salt Lake valley.

Yesterday we went to the Reservoir. They have put in a cement gutter/divider into the water in an attempt to separate the deeper part of the reservoir from the shallower part.... to create a play area for the kids. However, all this has done is create a stagnant trench of water that stinks, is full of slime and muck, and has added a horrible black tarry substance to the sand there. I think if there was some irrigation/water movement system that rotated the water around, it is a great idea. But there is not at all. Instead, my kids got their swimsuits stained with the black muck, and stunk so bad after 10 minutes playing in the water and sand. It is so disappointing. I don't understand who's bright idea it was to create this system without installing some sort of system that recycles the water. If the water level were higher, and constantly flowed in and out of the shallower area... it would probably work. But still, I don't see that that particular reservoir is lower in water than it was last summer, I think that the water level is pretty standard for this place.

So disappointing. Has anyone else been there both this summer and last, and if so, do you know what I am talking about????

Just frustrated, we were so looking forward to no money fun at the reservoir, and instead... someone has mucked things up.... PUN intended.

Definitely call Herriman's parks department, and possibly send an e-mail to the Mayor and your council member. If you notify the Mayor & council member, your concerns will probably be addressed quickly.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:01 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,554,913 times
Welcome to Herriman. There's NO such thing as "something for nothing". Try the Cowabunga Water park or some places like that. Yeah, you'll pay and I'm sure the kids will love it.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 AM

I've written an in depth email to the city, and I will also be calling if I don't hear back. So sad and frustrating They ruined something that was perfect. I know there have been some drownings there... but come on, put life preservers on your kids and WATCH THEM. It seems that the lack of parenting in some cases has ruined something awesome for everyone else.

Such a shame.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM

I see (unless you've moved) your location as Draper? Why are you complaining about Herriman when you don't pay local taxes here? If you get any reaction out of the city I will vote for you. Typically they are very self serving and are only interested in income from selling building permits as always. Nothing new there. Even their building inspectors are pathetic. They passed our house when in fact the stucco was done incorrectly, Then after the fact when brought out to re inspect said there was nothing they could do. A REAL inspector and city would have place revocation of the stucco companies permits until they made it right. They care about ONE thing only....$$$ in their own pockets.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:15 PM

Why not complain about it? It was something that a lot of people enjoyed, local and surrounding. I may not personally live in Herriman, but I do shop and dine there at local businesses when we spend 3 or 4 days out there a week enjoying the reservoir. It's a public spot, even it is managed by the city. So while I don't pay property tax there, I still support the local culture and business while I'm out there. Maybe if other people complain, not just their own residents, eventually someone will listen. Never hurts to email an opinion when it is a place you spend time in, even if you aren't a resident of that particular city. It's just something we really enjoyed, Herriman obviously wants people to visit that reservoir, otherwise they would have privatized it to local residents or something. And they ruined it. I heard they are putting in flushing toilets and a convenience store/stand at the reservoir. That would definitely be a money maker for the city, and people who aren't residents of Herriman would be contributing to the fund by purchasing at the snack stand... etc.

Having said that, and having read a lot of your posts dcisive, I can see your point as to wondering why I would care or bother, when even Herriman's own residents are frustrated and get no response from the city. It truly sounds like they have some self serving amateurs working for the city, that's for sure

I just felt making some noise, even if it wouldn't get a reaction, was better then sitting back, being disappointed, and not expressing my opinion.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 PM

Oh I can certainly understand your frustration. I've lived here 9 years and believe me you think the current mayor is a joke you should have seen the last one I went to a town council meeting where the parents of 2 children that were mowed down by two other nut jobs on pocket bikes ran up across their own lawn in their front yard and ran the kids over. The meeting was a bad joke and the mayor kept keeping people from speaking out about it. They wouldn't change any laws, ordinances nor up police presence. A lot has changed since we now have the Unified District stuff for police and fire. But the town legislature is still a bad joke. My mother was always politically active in her town, and she got things DONE. Here you might as well beat your heads against a wall. They run the show and you and I don't. Kind of like our federal government these days. They take YOUR tax dollars and spend it on what THEY want to and waste it all while they call Social Security, something we all paid into our entire working lives and "Entitlement". I say we should pay "public servants" minimum wage and see how many step up to the plate

Old 07-06-2012, 10:35 PM

1,646 posts, read 4,715,767 times
My family went there last week. Just asked my wife and she had no complaints about the water quality. They were using the reservoir to get water to fight the fire last weekend. Maybe that had something to do with it?

Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 PM

Not sure.... but when we arrived, there was a tractor in the water moving rocks around that were beyond that cement gutter that I mentioned. It may have been something really recent that they did. They are making some changes, paving the road and such, so maybe it happened after you guys visited. I will check back again, I'm not giving up, as I said if the reservoir were higher, the set up would work.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:47 PM

16,472 posts, read 31,224,125 times
Yeah, moving stuff around likely stirred up sediment. It should settle back down. But you never had that gunk on your feet before, did you? So maybe not sediment....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area