U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:35 PM

15 posts, read 19,388 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am actually looking at different cities and towns as possible places to live for a few different schools I am considering to finish my formal education. University of Utah is one of them (University of Washington, University of Tennessee-Knoxville, Medical College of Wisconsin/Marquette University and the University of Wisconsin being the other likely choices with a few more that are less likely or less appealing) because of the research opportunities the University has to offer which are very attractive to me.

The questions I have though are what are the good suburbs or outlying towns that would be a good fit for someone who is academically minded and well-educated? I grew up in a town of a few hundred people and being an intellectual in a town where it is not exactly the norm isn't exactly pleasant. I know for a fact that I don't want to live in the city itself for the most part since I'm not a "city kind of guy" if that makes sense. My fiancee (wife by the time we move) is more of a city girl so the idea of living out in the smallest of towns would really not be amenable to her thinking.

Neither of us are big party sort of people and honestly, I would prefer to live in a community with an average age older than myself (31 in my case, 27 for my fiancee). To be brutally honest, I would prefer to stay away from areas populated with students because of the noise and other issues associated with those areas (which is one major reason we are moving to a different neighborhood here in Indianapolis for the remainder of our time here). We don't have kids (neither of us can) so schools aren't a major concern as they are for a lot of folks. A quiet and friendly area is all we are really looking for.

Another concern I have is for how non-Mormons are treated in the various communities around SLC. I'm Jewish (converted as an adult rather than being born into it) and my fiancee is Christian. I talked to a couple of the Mormon folks I know (oddly enough because I was one of the few people who was "nice" to them during their mission work and made sure they had ice water with them during the summer as I don't think they were used to the high humidity we get here; I don't think they expected that when they knocked on our door) and they assure me that it would not be a big deal with most Mormons but they both delivered it with sort of a "caveat" that neither of them have lived in the Salt Lake area for any length of time. Any thoughts? It's not a huge deal in my book but Kat (my fiancee) wanted me to ask about it anyhow just to "be sure".

The only other big issue we have is that we are trying to avoid areas that are prone to racial/ethnic/social division or strife as a result of that since we currently live in a predominately black neighborhood (there is one other non-black couple living within a couple of blocks of us) and have been largely treated as "outsiders" even though I am a minority myself (Native American, albeit a fair skinned one as a result of my mom's side being "five shades of pasty white European" to quote the joke she tells). Nothing too hostile, no violence or anything like that but we just have not felt "welcome" in the area because of the self-imposed segregation of the neighborhood. We have a few neighbors who are great including the older couple across the way who have been so kind to me but the vast majority treat us like we have horns or something sticking out of our heads whenever we try to be social or helpful.

It may honestly be more a result of this being a relatively younger and less educated neighborhood than some others we could have chosen since nearly all of the problems we have had are with younger people whereas the few older folks in our community are a lot nicer. I don't care what ethnicity or religion my neighbors are so long as they are friendly and don't care about my ethnicity or religion. I hope that makes sense... From what I can tell from reading the forums, this doesn't seem to be a major problem in the SLC area as it might be in other cities. Getting away from the divisiveness of Indianapolis will be a welcome and wonderful thing as it is one of the things that makes this city flounder and fail miserably. We are all in the same boat, so let's act like it has always been my approach.

I did a search on here and also looked over the pages of a few of the places that seemed to suit our requirements. These included American Fork, Alpine, Summit Park (which I'm pretty sure we won't be able to afford renting anything there) Sandy (which I have to say I wasn't very impressed with), Farmington and Draper. Any other suggestions or advice on these towns would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 11:53 PM

19,828 posts, read 56,060,783 times
You really need to come visit as SLC is not the least bit like East Coast cities. We don't have row houses or blocks and blocks of hi-rise apartments (except City Creek Center which you could not afford). Anything in Utah County would not suit you, even the LDS posters say they would not live there.

What length of commute can you tolerate? American Fork would be well over an hour.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Anything in Utah County would not suit you, even the LDS posters say they would not live there.
Oh?

Quote:
What length of commute can you tolerate? American Fork would be well over an hour.
As far as commute is concerned, I would prefer to keep it under an hour unless it is by mass transit which isn't an option out there so far as I can tell.

Quote:
You really need to come visit as SLC is not the least bit like East Coast cities.
I have been there before for professional conferences and as a "jumping off point" for fossil collecting (one of my hobbies) but beyond that I have not had much experience with the city. It did strike me as different but in a good way at least the parts of it that I saw.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,292 times
Default salt lake suggestions

We recently moved to SLC and it sounds like we were looking for similar qualities in an area (also from the east coast). I would stay East of 15 and north of 215. Overall, the whole city feels like a giant suburb so its not a bad place to be an older student. My experience is also that it is a very educated, white collar city, much more intellectual than some other places I have lived.

Some places to look are E. Millcreek, Canyon Rim, Mt. Olympus, Holladay, and Cottonwood Heights...for us it was roughly in that order. These areas are nice, quiet (with easy access to amenities), safe, easy commute to SLC, etc. Nowhere in the area will have the diversity you are used to on the east coast, but you'll get a lot more in Salt Lake County than Utah County (Draper and south).

Religion isn't the issue that many make it out to be, nobody seems to care that I'm not LDS. I was prepped for way worse and got all kinds of warnings about it from people who had probably never been to Utah before moving out here. There's also a big counterculture so you'll see plenty of people that are coexisting without fitting into the local religious traditions. It's not uncommon to be asked (directly or otherwise) if you are LDS, but I think that is more of a feeler to invite you to church events or not. I have had some eyebrows raised for why I am 30 something and don't have kids, but more confusion than confrontation.

If you like the outdoors, you won't find a better place in the world. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Nowhere in the area will have the diversity you are used to on the east coast, but you'll get a lot more in Salt Lake County than Utah County (Draper and south).
That's OK. I don't really 'need' a diverse community to be happy. It's nice (especially given my odd love of Asian and Indian markets) but not essential. As long as everyone gets along reasonably well, I am completely OK with this.

Quote:
Religion isn't the issue that many make it out to be, nobody seems to care that I'm not LDS.
Glad to hear it. I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition or anything but just thought I would check.

Quote:
It's not uncommon to be asked (directly or otherwise) if you are LDS, but I think that is more of a feeler to invite you to church events or not.
Heck, I get that here with Mormons/Wesleyans (my fiancee's faith)/ Jehovah's Witnesses/Baptists/every other religious group. LOL

Quote:
I have had some eyebrows raised for why I am 30 something and don't have kids, but more confusion than confrontation.
Yeah, I get the feeling that would be Kat and myself. Neither of us can have kids and to be quite honest, I'm not fond of them to the point that I had a vasectomy (you would not believe how difficult it is to find a doc willing to perform one on a single guy) in order to avoid it.

Quote:
If you like the outdoors, you won't find a better place in the world.
That's what I keep hearing. I like to hike, fish and hunt so I think I would enjoy it a great deal.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,920,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersCandidate View Post

Yeah, I get the feeling that would be Kat and myself. Neither of us can have kids and to be quite honest, I'm not fond of them to the point that I had a vasectomy (you would not believe how difficult it is to find a doc willing to perform one on a single guy) in order to avoid it.
Maybe you and your fiancee and Dcisive and his wife should meet up!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I follow what you're getting at since that could be taken one of several ways. LOL

Old 07-24-2012, 08:36 PM

21,968 posts, read 22,141,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersCandidate View Post
I'm not sure I follow what you're getting at since that could be taken one of several ways. LOL
She's referring to your dislike of children.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 PM

19,828 posts, read 56,060,783 times
Dcsive is well known to locals for his dislike of Ill-behaved kids.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Dcsive is well known to locals for his dislike of Ill-behaved kids.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Duly noted although I should point that it's not really a direct dislike of kids that made me not want them. It's a lack of desire to have to drag them around with me when I travel that spurred that attitude. Basically it's the one way in which I allow myself to be "selfish". Of course, I can't stand bratty or ill-mannered children but I think that is the attitude of most folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or