Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,482 times

Advertisements

First off hello to everyone that takes the time out to read my post. I am a native new york of 31 yrs old that is being offered a job in SLC. I have lived in miami for 2 yrs and a small town outside of pittsburgh for a year, but no where like slc, the rest of my time has been in Mnahattan. I am not too concerned with finding things to do as i love the outdoors. Snowboarding being one of my favorite winter time activities. From what i hear utah is the place for it!
Reading through the forums for the past week, I gather there are a few cons:

the inversion
the excess amount of men

My main concern is dating, Will I have a hard time being non -religious? Is the bar scene any good downtown? I dont have a hard time meeting women in NYC but there are also 10 million people here.
Also anyone make the drive to Vegas? Is it possible for a weekend?

Thank You again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 PM

1,066 posts, read 883,972 times
Greatest Snow on Earth is the saying for snowboarding, so you'll certainly be covered there. I can't help much on the dating as I moved here already married. I haven't done it yet, but it's about 6 and a half hours from SLC to Vegas, so depends on what a weekend entails for ya.

The inversion isn't pleasant, it's good if you can get up snowboarding in the winter to get out of it. There are some great bars to get a lot of different brewed beers at though.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:51 PM

the boarding is such an allure for me. How bad is it hitting the mountains from say downtown? As my job would be there so i would like to live there. Is the smog really that bad. you really can not get an honest opinion from what i read so far, some say its horrible and you cant leave your house, others its no worse than LA? Can anyone recommend neighborhoods for someone like me?

Old 08-05-2012, 09:01 PM

1,066 posts, read 883,972 times
Not bad at all from downtown, there are also ski busses for big and little cottonwood canyons. There's also ski busses that run up that way, and park and rides at the bottom of the canyons. You're also pretty good to head up to Park City on the interstate. Seriously driving, you can be at one of multiple resorts in 30-40 minutes, with pow days being busier of course.

Ski Bus to Utah's Ski Resorts

As for the smog, it's bad for a week at a time from time to time, so when it's bad it's pretty nasty looking, but it's not around the clock. Some others will chime in of course, this was my first winter and with the lack of storms compared to the previous year, I guess it was worse for inversions.

I don't know much about living downtown, had an irish co-worker who lived downtown and didn't own a car for several years and enjoyed quite a few pints in his time, so some nice places to live I'm sure with lots to do.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:25 AM

85 posts, read 288,986 times
I'm a 28 year old former New Yorker who now lives in Park City, so I'll try to shed some light on the dating scene. I don't get the impression that there is an excess of men. The main challenges with dating here are that unlike NY, people here get married at a much younger age, so not only is the dating pool more limited by the time you're in your thirties, but you will also run into many more divorced people with kids at your age, which might not be something you want. If you live downtown you'll probably have an easier time dating since you'll be around more young, unmarried professionals. I find that I have to resort to online dating more often since I'm not running into the huge volume of people that you would find in NYC, but I find that the guys I meet are generally of higher quality than in NY.

Vegas for a long weekend is definitely possible. It's not a short trip, but you can drive at 80 mph for most of it. Flights there are super quick though, and if you live downtown you'll be really close to the airport.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:57 PM

thanks for the info. Maybe we can start a NY group when i make it out there, go boarding and hit vegas lol. Always good to make some new friends.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 AM

600 posts, read 1,926,686 times
If you don't think you can fit an adapt you can always stay in NY. Don't let a job change your life that much.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:37 AM

85 posts, read 288,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestoboard View Post
thanks for the info. Maybe we can start a NY group when i make it out there, go boarding and hit vegas lol. Always good to make some new friends.
There are actually quite a few NY people around here, and I haven't met anyone who has regretted their decision to move. Keep us updated on whatever you decide, and maybe we'll get to hang out sometime.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:41 AM

9 posts, read 11,144 times
Boston. Regret it. Turn around. I have some single coworkers and they are having a brutal time of it, dating that is. The pool is shallow and filled mostly with Mormons. I have a family and we live in Draper, south of the city in the Burbs and it is not the North East. People are less friendly here, very few random Hello's! or even, thank you's. Nobody waves when you let them into an intersection, it is quite strange. The driving is a joke, no one cares about anyone else. Unlike NYC or Boston, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the driving madness. Blind spot drivers, right hand lane passers, fast lane dodlers. Now I know this is hyperbole, but, there is some truth hidden in my words, trust me. Yes there are bars downtown, but the nightlife is a joke. Try getting something to eat after 9pm....not a chance.

The police only seem to care about giving out DUI's, there are daily freak deaths. Crime is a lot worse than you would think, shootings often, not Chicago often or even Boston often, but more than I am comfortable with. Huge families with the silly stick figure people on their rear windows, like anyone cares how many kids they have. But let me get back to the night life, their isn't much. Few bars downtown that might be fun, but, since this is a low drinking population, those who drink seem to over compensate, or they aer all ametures. Truly, when are are out at bars at night downtown, people act like they are all 21 and drinking for the first time.

Mormon churches on EVERY corner and check this out, most High schools and middle schools share parking lots with mormon churches, completely insane. The inversion is awful maybe 4 months of the year, maybe more with air quality warnings on the news, I found that odd. And can someone explain the shaved ice stands that have popped up in literally every parking lot in this state? What is that about? Food prices are higher believe it or not, houses are cheaper but you get zero land, unless you want to live far from the city, which you won't want to do, trust me. Since Mormons have zero vises they are very industrious and successful, but incredibly boring. They won't even see R rated movies, no lie.
Sorry for the crazy rant, but 10 months and I had to vent. My kids have had some trouble making friends as we are in the burbs and it's mostly mormon. It's not the kids fault, they are all just busy with church and scouts and family, not much time for outsiders.
Good luck. I know that life is what you make it, but, this place doesn't give you the tools necessary to complete this fantasy....unless you are mormon.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,616,889 times
We keep telling people to live within SLC itself but no one seems to listen. The kid across the street just graduated high school and of his 5 best friends, 3 are LDS. I think those in the city are more relaxed but that's just IMHO.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area