Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,834 times

Advertisements

I guess I have a different perspective than a lot of the posts. I along with my husband, moved to Utah about 50 years ago, and. I must admit things were different then and I had a lot of anxiety about the move. I am not LDS, but a devout born again Christian. I moved back to my home state 3 years ago and it has been the worst decision I ever made. Those 'scary, weird, Mormons' turned out to be the best people I have ever met. They are kind, caring, interested, honest, and totally wonderful people. Knowing I was not a Mormon and never would be, after becoming single again, they stopped by once a month to see if I was okay or needed anything. During terrible snowstorms, the kids always came by to shovel the snow for me. When it was so deep we were all worried about our roofs collapsing because of the weight of the snow, and on a Sunday as I came home from church, all of the men and boys from the local Ward were in our neighborhood shoveling the snow off our roofs, about 60 roofs, and shoveling snow. I was embarrassed as my church did not offer. People complained about the liquor laws, but I can tell you it gave me relief to know that everyone who was in a bar or club had shown their ID at the door and if anything happened in those bars or outside, the police had their names on file. I lived North of SLC about 20 miles and it was the best time of my life and the people were the nicest. There was no feeling I didn't fit it or had problems. They were wonderful and I miss them all and pray I can get back up there for I go home to be with the Lord...I'll leave the judgements to Him. The Mormons can teach others a lot about caring and friendship. I worked 52 years and most all of it was for the Mormons in State Government and local businesses and all of my bosses were terrific...no discrimination there at all EVER. All I can say is if you are having problems there, maybe you should look in the mirror...and because of the high morals and integrity, the Christians were better there too...it is catching!! Love them and pray for them everyday. They were the best people ever and never turned their back on me. Love them all...they were the best days of my life...I'll be 78 soon and hope to give myself the present of moving back to Utah at 80! God Bless!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 08:19 AM

561 posts, read 323,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotaelkslayer View Post
Don't you get it? Only due to Mormons there actually exists a "release time." Go back east and find out if schools have a release time....doesn't exist. And no, it is nothing like shop class, arts, etc. since one gets CREDIT for those classes.
I grew up in the Midwest and we had a release time 2 afternoons a week all through elementary school and it had nothing to do with Mormonism. Religion classes were offered by the three community churches, Catholic, Lutheran and Methodist. We walked the couple blocks to each of our corresponding churches had a 30-40 minutes class and then walked back. Those students that didn't participate got a study hall, gym pass or outside recess time depending on age and the weather. I believe it began in 1st or 2nd grade and continued until 8th grade confirmation.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,351 times
I moved to utah coy th 4 years ago I can say if you have kids and are not Mormon yet kids are ignored in school I have hired several Mormons to do some construction as soon as they knew I was not Mormon they never came back. Its weird like living in a fishbowl CA people are great compared to this. Non Mormon kids get depressed not invited unless they think they can convert them. Utah no going back

Old 07-18-2019, 03:04 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,716,429 times
SLC has one of the best outdoor sport cultures in the US. If you're a climber or skier, it's the place to be for everyone. Religion doesn't matter.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:18 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,026,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
SLC has one of the best outdoor sport cultures in the US. If you're a climber or skier, it's the place to be for everyone. Religion doesn't matter.
^^^^This.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:25 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,542,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenney View Post
I moved to utah coy th 4 years ago I can say if you have kids and are not Mormon yet kids are ignored in school I have hired several Mormons to do some construction as soon as they knew I was not Mormon they never came back. Its weird like living in a fishbowl CA people are great compared to this. Non Mormon kids get depressed not invited unless they think they can convert them. Utah no going back
Mhmmm...they quit their job because the boss wasn't LDS. Believable.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:52 AM

788 posts, read 1,740,206 times
I follow some very active and growing "exmormon" groups on some other social media platforms. There are anecdotal discussions and (some) statistics posted that claim membership of the church is declining, especially among young people.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:02 AM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Mhmmm...they quit their job because the boss wasn't LDS. Believable.
Maybe they quit their job because their boss was a jerk.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:02 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,847,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
I follow some very active and growing "exmormon" groups on some other social media platforms. There are anecdotal discussions and (some) statistics posted that claim membership of the church is declining, especially among young people.
Membership, declining ...

Falling out or not joining in the first place?

References please !

Old 07-19-2019, 05:22 PM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Membership, declining ...

Falling out or not joining in the first place?

References please !
I think it's a well-known fact that the Church is not growing anywhere near as fast as it once was, and that the Church leadership is concerned about retention and activity rates. Also, more Millennials are leaving the Church (i.e. becoming inactive) when they graduate from high school and leave home than was the case in past generations. But the "big news" that the Church's membership is plummeting is pure nonsense. The Church isn't continuing to build new chapels all over the world to have them sit empty. Wards and stakes continue to be divided all the time because the Church is continuing to grow. It's just not seeing the huge growth it was seeing 20 or 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area