Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to retire and downsize in 4 or 5 years while we're active enough to enjoy it. We ski, rock climb, hike and cycle at a pretty high level so the attractions of SLC area are obvious. OTOH we're also New Yorkers, socially liberal and have lived overseas for years so our views are pretty cosmopolitan. Any suggestions on SLC-region areas that might be a fit? Or is SLC a crazy idea to begin with cause LDS, strip malls and local culture will make us nuts? Anyway, here are a few criteria:
  • Schools are obviously of no concern
  • "Nice family neighborhood" not a concern either. Would consider urban or funky environment if safety is OK.
  • If not urban, prefer some measure of privacy and solitude (which we have now cause we're on 2 acres in a town that's zoned for 2 acres min. and can't see neighbors)
  • Real ethnic restaurants (I know this ain't NY. Just not 99.9% chains where even the best is mediocre)
  • Could be a house or condo/townhouse. 3 BR min.
  • Budget of $350k (I have no idea if this is realistic. If it isn't, what would be?)
I realize that posters criteria on these boards are often mutually exclusive, but they may not know why in a place they're not familiar with. If so please clarify. All ideas, thoughts, and suggestions welcome! Thx......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:14 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Park City would be my first choice for you, your budget is tight but if you jettison a bedroom you can get a condo or townhouse in the areas outside of Park City Proper for 350K, and even a house in neighborhoods like Summit Park, Blackhawk Station, etc. You just might even get a horse property in Silver Creek Estates or Highland Estates if you find something needing work but you would have to beat the bushes for it.

Sugarhouse neighborhood in SLC is kinda hip and trendy but small properties (.15 of an acre in many cases) but 350k will get you a house.

Avenues neighborhood in SLC another good bet but pricier than Sugarhouse.

Lots of activity and culture around the University Of Utah and both Sugarhouse and Avenues would be close.

Some like the Daybreak community which is further south in SLC and a little out of the action (new trax link making it easier to get to the action though) but it's a planned community so might not be your cup of tea.

Other good areas but they will be a little more suburban in style and my not posess the charm and qualities you are looking for, but maybe worth looking into.

Good Luck

Old 09-29-2012, 07:49 AM

617 posts, read 2,821,461 times
I would say Park City also. Very hip and liberal area. Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do constantly. Yep. Park City is your place

Old 09-29-2012, 08:39 AM

85 posts, read 289,574 times
As a former New Yorker I also vote for Park City. You'll be right in the middle of the outdoorsy stuff, liberal population with many people not originally from Utah, plenty of non-chain restaurants, and lots of amenities and events going on (concerts, film screenings, local markets). Finding a house with privacy on your budget might be a bit hard, but there are relative bargains to be had at the moment, especially in outlying areas.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:36 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the comments, very helpful and thought provoking. So here are a few followup questions/issues:

1. I had dismissed Park City because of concerns about being more-or-less stuck in a resort town of uber-affluent transplants and conspicuous consumption. In my mind's eye it would be like living in Aspen, which I'd never want to do. But I don't really know. Also, I've skiied in Utah a lot, but never Park City because the LCC areas are just better skiing and better skiers (we're ski snobs, no denying it). Practically speaking, am I going to be locked into skiing Park City?

2. The privacy/lot size story isn't a big deal or requirement, more like preference if all other things equal. We're in nothern Westchester county which is quite unique in that you can have large lots and a New Englandy "rural" environment just 40 minutes from NYC and all that has to offer. The kind of developments and strip malls that exist almost everywhere else in the country simply don't exist here, and that's very nice. Also very hard to duplicate unless you're really, truly rural.

3. Budget is pretty arbitrary but you have to start somewhere. It's based paying cash after sale of current house. A new mortgage with payments equal to my current taxes could increase budget by 50%. The point is, I don't want 6 BR and 6000 sq ft or a 2 BR on a postage stamp. In the greater SLC area it seems like $350 buys a lot.

4. What about Ogden? It seems to get an enormous amount of press as super up-and-coming, great, outdoorsy place to live, albeit with lingering urban problems. I'm not much troubled by the urban stuff as long as I'm not living in the middle of it. Or is the vibe too driven by a strip mall, under-educated, low income mentality or meth head craziness or something like that? ( Been watching too much Breaking Bad )

Thanks again.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:19 PM

617 posts, read 2,821,461 times
If you do go Ogden, make sure it is NORTH Ogden. Much prettier, you can still get bigger lots and nice houses within your budget. It has a smaller town feel to it, while still remaining upscale compared to parts of Ogden that are run down, and have a dumpy feel to them. Not ALL of Ogden is bad, but if I had to live in that area, I would choose North Ogden. It has both older, and newer homes, and there are diverse homes to pick from.

As for Park City feeling like Aspen, NOT AT ALL. Totally different vibe, you don't feel confined or anything. The 80 freeway is always plowed, and it's so easy to get to Downtown SLC. There are outskirts of Park City like Kimball Junction and Snyderville. You could get smaller house, you wouldn't have to get a mansion or anything. You would not be locked in to just skiing Park City, you still have access to other resorts from there.

Heber is also great! It's on the east side of Mount Timpanogas. LOTS to do. Great access to Sundance and easy access to the Park City area as well. Their motto is you can play there all year round, and it's so true. In Heber, you will also find a smaller town feel, but it is built up enough that there is culture there, and there is a mix of older and newer builds, plenty for the picking. You can easily drive into the Provo/Orem area for more shopping options (clothes, etc).

You might also consider the Logan area. It's more North, gets more snow and a built colder. But it has a FANTASTIC vibe up there. It is not as accessible to Salt Lake City, but it is still growing, and has a very unique character and vibe. We are in the Draper area right now. In 5- 6 years time though, if my husband gets a position with his company that is more travel/home based, we want to move either to Logan or to Heber. Most likely it will be Logan. We just love it up there.

Good luck in your move. Utah has so much to offer. It was just named best future state to live in the next 5 years

Last edited by Calibelle; 09-29-2012 at 01:21 PM..

Old 09-29-2012, 05:43 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
You have to look at Park City as a series of neighborhoods rather than a community as a whole, take Jeremy Ranch, Summit Park and Silver Creek Estates, all relatively near each other.

Jeremy Ranch: High Mormon population, enough to command a LDS chapel built in the neighborhood, people riding around in golf carts wearing Burberry plaid, neatly landscaped, etc.

Summit Park: Much more casual, log splitters, firewood stacked up in yards, people wearing rough knit sweaters and bandanas walking Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskies equally casually dressed, moose come into your back yard and join you for barbeque.

Silver Creek Estates: Large properties, 2 acre plus in many instances, casual down to earth horse people, pastures, paddocks, riding trails, etc.

These just a few examples, you simply cannot blanket categoize Park City.

Ogden has had some high on the excitement factor but low on the upper income new jobs companies come in recently, ski, ski boot, and other outdoor product companies which created alot of positive spin. But these companies probably chose Ogden for an unskilled labor force that will work for low wages, low rent or aqusition costs for warehouse and facility buildings. Also, the local government probably rolled out the welcome mat for these companies.

Not like a high tech Silicon Valley type company came in creating many mid level to high wage job positions.

So what does all this really do for Ogden?

But yes, if you choose Ogden make it North Ogden

Hve you looked into the Ogden Valley ant the communities of Eden and Huntsville?

Old 09-29-2012, 07:05 PM

835 posts, read 2,075,799 times
Park City is very much like Aspen! I lived in Aspen for a brief time along with Crested Butte and Telluride also. When I grew up and married, we lived in Park City for 16 years. The snobbery/my car is bigger than yours/my house is too, finally sent us down to Salt Lake City. I miss nothing about living there, not even one tiny bit.
Truth be told, the skiing up there is every bit as good as the Wasatch Front and even my LCCDB's and snobs will concur. It just depends on what the snow gods bring from which direction.
I had a group of ski buddies when I lived in PC that made the trek to Solitude once a week for 7 years and a different group that would go to Snowbasin every other Thursday. You will not be hemmmed into skiing at the 3 resorts if you are willing to drive.
Skip Ogden if you want to ski as you will be limited to the Basin and PowMow and PowMow has kinda sketchy snowmaking and Beaver Mtn has none. The Basin has fantastic snowmaking system but a wee bit lower in elevation so if it is warm, it will suck. I wuld not waste one minute looking in Eden or Huntsville unless you are looking for a super conservative small town feel, really small....
Salt Lake City proper, in my humble opinion, is your best bet. A little nightlife, lots of restaurants and more of an urban vive than the rest of the valley.
The central location is great to ski the front or wasatch back and rock climb in BCC or LCC, bike up at the PC resorts...

Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM

85 posts, read 289,574 times
If you're coming from Westchester the snobbery around here doesn't compare. There are a lot of nice cars and homes in Park City, but there are lots of normal people too. And the rich people in PC live here because they're out being active and outdoorsy, which makes most of them cooler than snobby rich Westchester people. SLC is a nice small city, but most of it has a suburban feel, though at least it's pretty close to recreation and has some good ethnic restaurants. And Ogden is also an okay place, but I think you'll be disappointed if you make that your ultimate retirement goal.

Anyway, coming from a former Westchester resident, Park City would absolutely be a good fit especially when you take into account the environment we're coming from. I lived in the SLC suburbs for a year during high school and found the whole experience to be nice, but pretty ordinary. I'd either choose PC, downtown SLC, or look in a different state altogether.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 PM

62 posts, read 201,133 times
My suggestion is you think about Salt Lake City, itself.

Totally safe compared to areas of Brooklyn, the Bronx, and upper Manhattan, lots of nice areas to buy homes (funky, modern, trendy, old, historical, etc., etc.), easily accessible access to recreational venues for the outdoor sports and activities you enjoy, wonderful library system, great public transportation, a fairly good variety of restaurants and entertainment options, a diverse and wide ranging socio-economic population base, and a university town to boot.

As far as the LDS, strip malls, and local culture, well, if you have a sense of humor and don't take yourself too seriously, you'll have a ball!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area