Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:35 PM

8 posts, read 50,195 times

Advertisements

I have read a lot of post here and on other forums websites. I am visiting Utah soon and the purpose of my trip is to see if this is a place I would like to move my family too. I have read mostly good things when asked what are the bad neighborhoods in SLC. Like.."there are none". OK so if there is no "bad" neighborhoods in SLC let me ask this question in a different way. If you HAD to pick a neighborhood in SLC that you would least want to live in, what would it be? Worst area for crime? Worst looking neighborhood. What street would you not want to be on in the middle of the night? The more specific you can be the better as I will drive down those streets when I visit. I come from a large southern city with really bad areas so I'm just looking to compare the worst where I live now and in SLC.

Also we were looking at American Fork as well. If we can afford it. But same questions as above for American Fork area. I realize AF might not have any bad areas but if I lived there and wanted to drive to the closet bad area surrounding AF, where would I go and how far away would it be?

I know these questions are asking for detailed answers, it's just that I'm trying to get the most out of my trip to Utah. The biggest problem with the city I live in now is while we live in a good but crowded part of the city, it would only take 15 mins to get to some really rough and bad area's. Looking to find a place without this.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-08-2012, 06:59 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel2436 View Post
OK so if there is no "bad" neighborhoods in SLC let me ask this question in a different way. If you HAD to pick a neighborhood in SLC that you would least want to live in, what would it be? Worst area for crime? Worst looking neighborhood. What street would you not want to be on in the middle of the night?
Personally, I would not want to live in West Valley City, Kearns, Magna or Glendale. You couldn't catch me on a street in any of those areas at night, although there may be some isolated pockets in any of them that aren't too awfully bad. I personally have good friends in Magna; I just wouldn't choose to live there myself. I'd also steer away from much of the northwest part of Salt Lake City proper.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:36 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,193 times
I'd agree with katzpur, I do have a co-worker who lives in west valley city and his immediate neighborhood is fine, but overall I'd avoid.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Count me as three for the cities that Katz has mentioned. Also there are parts of Midvale and Sandy that I would prefer not to live in also.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 AM

762 posts, read 2,117,611 times
I wouldn't live south of 3300 South in Salt Lake County even if you paid me to be there.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
I came to Salt Lake City the first time in 1978 and lived near 3300 S. and 20th East and it was WONDERFUL. It's not quite as perfect now as it was than in that area, but it's still pretty nice. As long as you are EAST of Highland Drive from 2100 South right on down south from there on is quite nice. Nothing wrong with it. Now WEST of 1300 East it can get real dicey. So you'd have to qualify that. I would agree most of the West side in general unless you are 7800 S. and further South isn't very good, that's for sure. WVC earned it's reputation believe me. Glendale I'm sorry to say might as well be East LA

Old 10-12-2012, 12:06 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
I wouldn't live south of 3300 South in Salt Lake County even if you paid me to be there.
And I wouldn't live north of 33rd. Not a fan of the SL city. I prefer the suburbs. I consider anything north of 33rd "downtown". LOL Just goes to show that people have different preferences.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Personally I don't like South Salt Lake, West Valley City, Magna, Taylorsville, parts of West Jordan, Kearns, Glendale, nor Rose Park. Seemed like parts of the Clearfield/Layton area were seedy as well. I'm not familiar with the area, but I've been told Ogden has wide swaths of nastiness. I don't know about American Fork, so can't help you there. I would doubt there are any issues there though.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:26 PM

128 posts, read 267,759 times
Utah has bad areas but we have nothing that compares to other big cities. Glendale definitely does not compare to East LA ha. We have our fair share of crime but so does every other place.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:43 PM

8 posts, read 60,119 times
There is NOT a single area of Salt Lake I am EVER nervous walking down the street night or day and I've been all over the city and the valley. Worst area for crime? South Salt lake. The west side, west of I15 can be predominantly Hispanic in areas. Nothing wrong with that unless you child is a blond girl going to an all hispanic school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area