Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:07 PM

19 posts, read 23,379 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are currently living in SE Wisconsin. My husband just accepted a job in Holladay. We have two school age girls, six and ten. We are thinking of relocating to the area of South Jordan. We are looking to rent a three bedroom house in this area. We aren't in the position to buy at this time. Can anyone help with schools in this area and safe neighborhoods. We are very excited to be moving to Utah and really don't know too much about the state though. We are non LDS, are their catholic churches there? Hahaha sorry to sound so uninformed, but all we keep hearing about is the LDS and how they do things etc. And that's about it. It doesn't bother me to be around people of other beliefs but are we going to be frowned upon for not being LDS?

Thank you in advance for any information you could pass along to us.

Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susandyer1962 View Post
Hello, we are currently living in SE Wisconsin. My husband just accepted a job in Holladay. We have two school age girls, six and ten. We are thinking of relocating to the area of South Jordan. We are looking to rent a three bedroom house in this area. We aren't in the position to buy at this time. Can anyone help with schools in this area and safe neighborhoods. We are very excited to be moving to Utah and really don't know too much about the state though. We are non LDS, are their catholic churches there? Hahaha sorry to sound so uninformed, but all we keep hearing about is the LDS and how they do things etc. And that's about it. It doesn't bother me to be around people of other beliefs but are we going to be frowned upon for not being LDS?

Thank you in advance for any information you could pass along to us.

Susan
Hi, Susan.

You should have no trouble locating a Catholic Church in or near South Jordan. I did a quick google search and came up with five of them. Some of them weren't actually in South Jordan, but they weren't really far away. Without knowing a specific address, it would be difficult to provide a more specific answer. By the way, the Cathedral of the Madeleine in downtown Salt Lake City is absolutely gorgeous. You may wish to go to Christmas Mass there, even though it might be a bit of a drive.

In preparation for your move, you may wish to glance through the Lowdown on us Mormons thread. It's pretty long, so don't spend too much time looking for answers there. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them. This post, in particular, may be of interest to you.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM

19 posts, read 23,379 times
Thank you so much Katzpur for the info! I'm reading through your post now. Very informative!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
There are about 80 different denominations in the valley. Admittedly I had not heard of some of them. There are several Catholic schools as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
If you want your kids to get a quality education and since you are Catholic you're best bet would be to consider Draper and the Juan Diego school. Scholastically they are ahead of what the public system can or will offer. Prices may vary so do some homework.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:13 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
[quote=Susandyer1962;26461016]We are thinking of relocating to the area of South Jordan. We are looking to rent a three bedroom house in this area. We aren't in the position to buy at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
If you want your kids to get a quality education and since you are Catholic you're best bet would be to consider Draper and the Juan Diego school. Scholastically they are ahead of what the public system can or will offer.
My guess is that if the OP isn't "in the position to buy at this time," they're probably not in the position to be thinking in terms of private schools, either.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:12 AM

762 posts, read 2,118,635 times
Why South Jordan? Holladay is very, very nice and family friendly. Or even another area closer to your husband's job, like east Millcreek. And anecdotally, I seem to see more rentals in Millcreek and the northern end of Holladay than in South Jordan.

South Jordan is fine but why commute the extra 20-30 minutes if you don't have to---especially on snowy or bad-inversion days?

Old 11-03-2012, 12:10 PM

10 posts, read 13,916 times
Hi Susan,
I moved here to West Jordan from Wisconsin 6 years ago. My Sister and brother in law moved to South Jordan from Illinois last year. They like it here. South Jordan is a fast growing urban sprawl, no downtown really. Houses are generally newer and bigger. A 3000 sq ft house in South Jordan or West Jordan could cost well over twice as much in a nice part of holladay. You can get on a waiting list to get your kids in any school. I don't have kids I don't know how well that works. The closer you are to slc, the more liberal and less lds. The LDS folks treat me like any other, maybe nicer. They have helped me out whenever I've needed in my neighborhood. Yeah they'll invite you to a service here and there but after a few no thank's, they'll get it and just forget about the religous differences for the most part and treat you with respect. Check out ksl.com for rentals. Moderator cut: not allowed, read TOS. I'd say the average home size in south jordan is 5 bed 3 bath, 3800 sq ft. Families are bigger here, population is much younger, many people get married when they are still kids (18-23 in my opinion).

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 11-03-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 02:59 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb600 View Post
Hi Susan,
I I'd say the average home size in south jordan is 5 bed 3 bath, 3800 sq ft. Families are bigger here, population is much younger, many people get married when they are still kids (18-23 in my opinion).
The social culture of the area means that younger people (given their lifestyle choices) take on large amounts of debt or get a downpayment for a house from parents. The median household income is lacking compatability with fairly elevated housing prices. It's too bad that the quality of life for many will continue to go down 10-20 years from now given the crazy population growth trends for the Salt Lake Valley.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:06 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
"I'd say the average home size in south jordan is 5 bed 3 bath, 3800 sq ft."

Really? Average? That would mean there are a lot of 7-10k sq ft homes here, I only know two people with home larger than 3,800 sq ft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area