Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 AM

479 posts, read 1,015,242 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations welcome!! Any feedback from those that have had this service done in their home? What were the results?

Much thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 01:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
When I had the burner on my furnace replaced by Whipple, they recommended the cleaning. They sent someone, can't remember the company name, to do it. A lot of dirt came out.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:01 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
I had a new furnace installed in June 2010. I had my ducts cleaned and sanitized before installation. Be wary of places that advertise a very low rate for duct cleaning. Read the fine print. It probably lists terminology the average home owner is not savy on. Asks lots of questions and get a written quote up front before they begin cleaning anything. I think the sanitizing was a ruse to just get more money out of me....but after the chunk of change I was putting down to buy the new furnace and a/c system, I opted to pay for the sanitation fee too. I think I paid $249 for both. I hired Superior Water & Air. Don't know if that was against policy to add that link or not. Delete if not appropriate.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:56 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingonagain777 View Post
Any recommendations welcome!! Any feedback from those that have had this service done in their home? What were the results?

Much thanks!!
unless you have health issues or have reason to think your ducts have the presence of mold or other contamination, save your money.

from...Should You Have the Air Ducts in Your Home Cleaned? | Indoor Air | US Environmental Protection Agency...

Duct cleaning has never been shown to actually prevent health problems. Neither do studies conclusively demonstrate that particle (e.g., dust) levels in homes increase because of dirty air ducts. This is because much of the dirt in air ducts adheres to duct surfaces and does not necessarily enter the living space. It is important to keep in mind that dirty air ducts are only one of many possible sources of particles that are present in homes. Pollutants that enter the home both from outdoors and indoor activities such as cooking, cleaning, smoking, or just moving around can cause greater exposure to contaminants than dirty air ducts. Moreover, there is no evidence that a light amount of household dust or other particulate matter in air ducts poses any risk to your health.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:31 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,438 times
We have had Superior Water and Air out twice and have been happy with the cleaning they do. I will PM you some info...

Old 11-26-2012, 05:36 PM

I did get a quote from a company that was certified by NADCA. I researched and looked up what the EPA had to say about it on their website. Although the EPA doesn't endorse the service they don't make claims that it doesn't work....just that there are no studies. The site did detail what to look for which is a NADCA certification as well as referral information. I found one company that has the right equipment and the certification and it's not cheap. I will do anything at this point to get some relief.

My family has been having a hard time with our sinus/breathing since the heaters were turned on the later part of September. I thought we were having allergies until the season past and we were getting worse. I use higher merv rated furnace filters and I have 2 large capacity air cleaners but no relief. I notice that when the heater is not on we do much better and I keep the thermostat on 67 so it doesn't run as much. When we moved into this home the previous residents didn't change the air filters for about a year and it was disgusting. The amount of dust I get is ridiculous so I thought that by cleaning the furnace and ducts it may help. I haven't had much feedback regarding symptoms to air pollution so maybe this is part of it. I would think that there has to be a way to make sure that indoor air is cleaner than the outside air. I have nosebleeds on a daily basis and my nose literally shuts down. I have never had any of these symptoms before.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Thank you ski barbie I would love another company to compare it to the one I found online.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
I had nosebleeds for the first 6-8 minths after I moved to SLC. The drier air was hard on skin and nose until I adjusted.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 PM

I didn't have any for the first 5 months I moved here and moved from Colorado with no issues. I know it's drier here though and perhaps the heater makes it worse? I didn't have any issues the year I lived in Sedona either. It's odd. I am just hoping it subsides soon. Thanks for all the information, it helps!

Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
when we had our carpets done by ZeroRez they also offered a package deal which was very reasonable for the ducts as well. So we had them do them, and could not believe the stuff they got out. We built our home 9 years ago and some of the residual building junk came out and we are now left with visibly clean ducts. We were sure to have a highly efficient humidifier unit installed with the HVAC unit because we knew going it it would help the dry air. Indeed it does. NO shocks during the wintertime and no dry sinuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area