Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 02:09 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
So how far is sugarhouse from provo/orem?
50 miles plus or minus

Old 11-04-2007, 03:25 PM

13 posts, read 38,056 times
Default I second that

Yep, Sugarhouse and the Avenues if you want to stay in the general Salt Lake are, but if you do not then Park City is the place for you.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:47 AM

2 posts, read 11,237 times
Default Moving to Utah

I am from Ca. in the SF area and plan to move to the West Jordan in the 9000 to 12000 south area. My wife and myself are non LDS however we get along with all nice people. I plan to retire the Utah and love the snow and watersports. Can anyone tell me more of what I can expect by moving to the Jordan Landing area. I am also hispanic

Thank You

Old 11-10-2007, 04:07 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
50 miles plus or minus
According to mapquest.com Salt Lake City is 45.17 miles from Provo:
Driving Directions from Salt Lake City, UT to Provo, UT

Old 11-17-2007, 04:48 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiUtah76 View Post
I moved to Suncrest SUbdivision in Draper three years ago, and I must say that it has been a pleasure. There is a very good mix of Mormon/Non-Mormons in my neighborhood. In the immediate vacinity of my home we have 12 out of 16 families that are non-mormon. There are parts of the neighborhood that have more than others, but I found that if you come out and ask nicely, people will be honest with you.....If someone says it is 80% mormon in the neighborhood, you will most likely not move their so you will not offend them nor if it is 80% non-mormon, they will be GLAD to tell you it is very "Diverse". I have heard, that Traverse Mountain in Lehi, Utah is very "diverse" as well. My neighors sister lives there and she said it might be more non-mormon than our neighborhood, which is hard to believe in Utah County.
Sugarhouse, Park City, and the Avenues are also good options. Suncrest has homes ranging from $200K - $3M. We have a newly build clubhouse with fitness center, swimming pool, hot tubs, basketball/hockey combo rink, many hiking/biking trails, it is only 30minutes from the Airport, 30 minutes to downtown, and 25-30 minutes to Snowbird/Alta.
How are the roads up to the suncrest area? I was out there last year and really liked it up there (views views views!), but only remember one road going up (Draper side) and could only think "What about when it snows?" Do they keep it clear? What's the elevation of that community?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:24 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,013 times
West Jordan has a large hispanic population. I am not LDS (but white), and feel that people are very accepting. It's not the same as the Avenues or SugarHouse, but I don't feel uncomfortable here.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:07 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
If you don't want to be around LDS, don't live in Utah. This business of telling people they can escape the Mormons by going to Park City or Sugarhouse is a bunch of bull. They are everywhere. If you are really liberal, why not live somewhere that supports that like Austin, Portland, California, Albuquerque, the east coast, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
Let me start by saying I have nothing against LDS or anyone who is affiliated with it. And I understand that SLC has many people who are LDS, and that is fine fine fine.

That said, as someone who is not LDS (and not religious at all) I would like to know of areas where I am likely to have others in the area who are not LDS. I'm not looking to start a firestorm, but every LDS person I know is very dedicated to their faith and it permeates everything they do, and they talk about it a lot. That's fine, but I'd like to have some people around who don't think about it or talk about it too........

Liberal areas in particular would be great to know about.
Thanks!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:59 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
If you don't want to be around LDS, don't live in Utah. This business of telling people they can escape the Mormons by going to Park City or Sugarhouse is a bunch of bull. They are everywhere. If you are really liberal, why not live somewhere that supports that like Austin, Portland, California, Albuquerque, the east coast, etc.
SLC is less than 50% Mormon. And in Park City the percentage is much lower. I don't think everyone wants to "escape" them, so much as find plenty of others to socialize and make friends with. From what I have read, SLC has a lot to offer that for many people, makes it well worth putting up with the large Mormon influence. Besides, SLC has a very liberal mayor.

For me, it also has what none of those places you mentioned have - a decent sized city with a combination of very close proximity to beautiful scenery, great skiing and outdoor recreation, affordable, fairly dry weather, and not ridiculously over crowded.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 7,936 times
Does anyone know anything about Olympus Cove? We moved to Utah a few years ago and live in the Murray/Cottonwood area. We really like where we live and it is very convenient, but we are looking to move to a larger house. Olympus Cove has great views so it is on our short list. We too are non-LDS and so are looking for an area with more of a 50/50%.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:01 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
........ From what I have read, SLC has a lot to offer that for many people, makes it well worth putting up with the large Mormon influence. Besides, SLC has a very liberal mayor.

For me, it also has what none of those places you mentioned have - a decent sized city with a combination of very close proximity to beautiful scenery, great skiing and outdoor recreation, affordable, fairly dry weather, and not ridiculously over crowded.
This is all true, I'm not going to argue with you. If skiing is at the top of a person's list of things to do in life, yes, SLC is one of the best places to live. As far as the other things on your list are concerned, a person could have all that in New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California... most of the American west. Although the Mormon factor should not be overstated it also should not be ignored. I have not personally found Sugarhouse or SLC proper to be any more "welcoming" than the suburbs, and do not have the time or money to spend time in Park City. It is not fair or right to encourage out of state people wishing to have a certain liberal experience to move here and spend time in what is the equivalent of a small area of town. Personally I find this thinking is remiss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area