Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:43 PM

403 posts, read 1,120,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
what I'm saying. Just because other people like Sugarhouse or Park City is NOT a valid reason to move to Utah. Those areas are so small and can only offer so much. If a person wants a truly liberal experience they are going to need to live some place other than Utah, period. I do not think this is really arguable. People who want a "liberal" experience in Salt Lake can probably have one but what is the point. I live downtown but have worked mostly at jobs way far south, near Draper and Sandy. I spend my days surrounded by Mormon nutcases. I am not that liberal either! It's just not worth it, in my opinion.
The point is that for many liberals, the full expression of their beliefs is to break into Conservative areas and attempt to change them. That's why libs get so worked up when they can't find other libs. They need the consensus. They have to be surrounded by those who agree with them, and then they must go out and change everyone else who disagrees. Just watch the responses to this posting for evidence.

Ironically, this is exactly what left-wingers claim Christians and Mormons do, and hate them accordingly. If so, I wonder why they're so bothered? Pot meet kettle...

By the way, for the record, I'm an Agnostic Libertarian.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:08 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I live in Sugar House, on a block with at least 50% non-LDS folk, including 3 lesbian households (that I know of, could be more). Sugar House is a nice, older area (my house was built in 1921) with a lot of smaller shops scattered around. I could not easily walk to many of them, but maybe you like to walk more than I do. I love the climate and the general feeling of safety, although there are some high crime areas. But nothing approaches Chicago's record of 32 shootings this past weekend! Downtown itself is relatively small. There are a lot of business areas spread around. The population lives north to south along the Wasatch mountains, very spread out. Even though we have a Democrat for mayor, some of the legislators are Republican and Mormon - politics always makes my blood boil!

Old 05-27-2008, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 25,923 times
Default In addition, Emigration Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
Let me start by saying I have nothing against LDS or anyone who is affiliated with it. And I understand that SLC has many people who are LDS, and that is fine fine fine.

That said, as someone who is not LDS (and not religious at all) I would like to know of areas where I am likely to have others in the area who are not LDS. I'm not looking to start a firestorm, but every LDS person I know is very dedicated to their faith and it permeates everything they do, and they talk about it a lot. That's fine, but I'd like to have some people around who don't think about it or talk about it too........

Liberal areas in particular would be great to know about.
Thanks!
Emigration Canyon also seems to house a lot of non-LDS or those who do not participate at all. It's pretty upscale and has elements of mountain living without the drive to Park City.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:41 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
Why in God's name would anyone spend years at a time living in a small area like Sugarhouse? If that is enough for some people fine but it's not working for me. I don't even spend that much time there because frankly it's like going to another country, and to me that just seems wrong. That Salt Lake is so segregated is one of the worst things about living here. And that people actually encourage that, like telling people to move here because they have their liberal experience in Sugar House, but avoid the suburbs, well that's just weird in my opinion. When I lived in Albuquerque I worked on the west mesa, an area that would be considered more settled and suburban, and spent many days shopping at the Cottonwood Mall in Rio Rancho where everyone was normal and there was no sense of "now I've entered Republican land". I lived in the student ghetto next to the Nob Hill area, a very liberal neighborhood filled with people I'm sure who would never bother to go someplace as worthless as a mall in Rio Rancho. My point is that I could do that there, whereas here, if I go to Jordan Landing it's like I've got to put on my chain mail and really gear up because I never know what kind of jerk I might encounter. Yet the same rude people are in Sugar House too. It's Salt Lake, in my opinion, the whole town just sucks.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Why in God's name would anyone spend years at a time living in a small area like Sugarhouse? If that is enough for some people fine but it's not working for me. I don't even spend that much time there because frankly it's like going to another country, and to me that just seems wrong. That Salt Lake is so segregated is one of the worst things about living here. And that people actually encourage that, like telling people to move here because they have their liberal experience in Sugar House, but avoid the suburbs, well that's just weird in my opinion. When I lived in Albuquerque I worked on the west mesa, an area that would be considered more settled and suburban, and spent many days shopping at the Cottonwood Mall in Rio Rancho where everyone was normal and there was no sense of "now I've entered Republican land". I lived in the student ghetto next to the Nob Hill area, a very liberal neighborhood filled with people I'm sure who would never bother to go someplace as worthless as a mall in Rio Rancho. My point is that I could do that there, whereas here, if I go to Jordan Landing it's like I've got to put on my chain mail and really gear up because I never know what kind of jerk I might encounter. Yet the same rude people are in Sugar House too. It's Salt Lake, in my opinion, the whole town just sucks.

Feel better now?

Old 05-30-2008, 04:42 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,143 times
I went to Jordan Landing today and was insulted by a middle aged ***** in public at the T J Maxx who said I could buy the bag, "people would never know". Uh, know what? Forgot about not starting conversations with strangers in the suburbs of Salt Lake. Chain mail was not on, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Feel better now?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:33 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,899 times
Quote:
I went to Jordan Landing today and was insulted by a middle aged ***** in public at the T J Maxx who said I could buy the bag, "people would never know". Uh, know what? Forgot about not starting conversations with strangers in the suburbs of Salt Lake. Chain mail was not on, apparently.
What does buy the bag mean? What was the context - buying a purse? TJ Maxx discounts designer stuff - maybe they meant people would never know it came from a discount store? I am completely missing how this comment was an insult.

I am still wondering what makes you stay in UT if you hate it so much. Life is short. It sounds like you'd be happier almost anyplace else. In a way I regret that I've stayed in NJ/NYC metro for half my life, but there were circumstances that made it difficult to leave, mostly relationships. But now that I can leave I'm going to. It doesn't sound like you have much to keep you there.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,970 times
Does anyone know how diverse (if at all) the Daybreak community in S. Jordan is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area