U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM
 
11 posts, read 10,524 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

I'll try to keep this short because it's a pretty basic question. Anyone have an idea how the job market is for nurses? Specifically in the Salt Lake City area to potentially the Park City area. My wife has her RN degree, over 1 year of experience (floor work), as well as an additional Associates, Bachelors, and a Masters degree in another field - so she is highly educated. I guess the main question would be what is the potential "ease" in which she could step right into a position?

We currently live in NY and she had a nursing position 1 month before she graduated with her RN degree. If she quit her job today she would have another position in days and literally probably by the end of the day.

Thank you for any information anyone can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2013, 04:37 AM
 
85 posts, read 245,302 times
Reputation: 66
The job market seems ok for RNs with experience. I had no problem getting hired before I moved here. The hospital in Park City is nice but small, so there is only one med-surg unit there, and it's primarily ortho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM
 
11 posts, read 10,524 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyllie View Post
The job market seems ok for RNs with experience. I had no problem getting hired before I moved here. The hospital in Park City is nice but small, so there is only one med-surg unit there, and it's primarily ortho.
We did see some postings online last night for the "intermountain" network, if I have that correct. You just never know in different areas whether job postings means there are opportunities or not. In our area you rarely see job postings but hospitals will always hire someone or "fit" them in if they have experience

Thanks for the information. Is there more than just 1 large network of hospitals in the area and are there typically recruiters at the hospitals so my wife could call and find out what prospects might be? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 PM
 
85 posts, read 245,302 times
Reputation: 66
Intermountain is the largest hospital group, and includes park City Medical Center. Doing a quick search of RN jobs in the greater SLC area turns up 50 or so results. Some other hospitals are St Marks, Jordan Valley, and the U of Utah Hospital. I think what's posted online is pretty representative of what's actually available. I know Intermountain has recruiters, but I think they get in touch with you after you've filled out an actual application online. I was responded to very quickly after filling out an application. I would just check out the job postings online first. I don't think it's the kind of hiring situation that you describe where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM
 
11 posts, read 10,524 times
Reputation: 15
nyllie - last question, my wife works 12hr shifts 7pm - 7am so her differential is pretty decent but her hourly base pay if she were to work day shifts is $22. Roughly, how do you think the Salt Lake area compares to this? I've been searching online and haven't found anything that I completely trust as being correct figures.

Thank you, this information is very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 07:57 AM
 
85 posts, read 245,302 times
Reputation: 66
the base pay for new graduate RNs here is about $22/hr. night differential for me is about $3/hr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 AM
 
40 posts, read 114,631 times
Reputation: 18
The market is getting tougher for RN's. Lots of new grads unable to find jobs. One year of experience should help your wife. But most hospitals are requiring more and more nurses to be BSN educated and phasing out the 2 year associates degree RN's, or at least pressuring them to go back to school. Especially if they are in a charge position, and more and more floors are rotating that duty so there's no 'getting out of it.'

I would also encourage her to have ACLS under her belt. It's not enough to just have BLS anymore. Any advanced certifications are great. ACLS will be a must have for almost every position out there.

She will have to sell herself, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM
 
11 posts, read 10,524 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb5853 View Post
The market is getting tougher for RN's. Lots of new grads unable to find jobs. One year of experience should help your wife. But most hospitals are requiring more and more nurses to be BSN educated and phasing out the 2 year associates degree RN's, or at least pressuring them to go back to school. Especially if they are in a charge position, and more and more floors are rotating that duty so there's no 'getting out of it.'

I would also encourage her to have ACLS under her belt. It's not enough to just have BLS anymore. Any advanced certifications are great. ACLS will be a must have for almost every position out there.

She will have to sell herself, that's for sure.
This is happening in NYS as well. My wife started with her Associates primarily to get into the job market. She (like myself) has 3 other college degrees including a Masters Degree in an unrelated field and was unable to hold a position due to budget cuts (teaching). By that time she had already spent 10 years in college and just couldn't see us struggling through another 4+ years of college while trying to work at the same time.

Despite her other Associates, Bachelors, and Masters degrees not being in the medical field, do you think some hospitals may look at her current level of education when hiring despite the lack of a BSN? Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 02:30 PM
 
40 posts, read 114,631 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdawgg View Post
This is happening in NYS as well. My wife started with her Associates primarily to get into the job market. She (like myself) has 3 other college degrees including a Masters Degree in an unrelated field and was unable to hold a position due to budget cuts (teaching). By that time she had already spent 10 years in college and just couldn't see us struggling through another 4+ years of college while trying to work at the same time.

Despite her other Associates, Bachelors, and Masters degrees not being in the medical field, do you think some hospitals may look at her current level of education when hiring despite the lack of a BSN? Thanks for the information.
Its hard to say but she needs to have ACLS certification at the very least if she only has her associates. Even for an entry level position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 PM
 
85 posts, read 245,302 times
Reputation: 66
Intermountain currently has no formal pay differential for BSN vs ADN, so I'm not sure if they care too much about extra education. Your wife should definitely rack up as many certifications as she can (ACLS, BLS, etc) to look like she'd be able to get going quickly at a new job.

If she wants to get her BSN quickly and cheaply, look into Western Governor's University. It's a not for profit online school based in Utah. For a flat fee per six month semester (about $3000), you work on classes at your own pace and finish as much as you can in that amount of time. The RN to BSN can probably be finished in about six months if she's disciplined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:29 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top