Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:08 AM

57 posts, read 143,444 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Salt Lake City in July. My huband will be working in the Army recruiting station in the southern part of the city. We have 2 kids (they will be in 2nd and 4th grade next year) and will be looking for a home to rent. We'd like to pay between $1,400-1,700 range and obviously want it to be in an area with a good elementary school.

Based on the research I've done (most of it here - thank you), better areas are Federal Heights, Cottonwood Heights, Holladay, and Stansbury. I've seen mixed reviews on Sandy. What are your thoughts on South Jordan? I've seen some nice looking house there and the neighborhoods look OK in the pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBeth07 View Post
We will be moving to Salt Lake City in July. My huband will be working in the Army recruiting station in the southern part of the city. We have 2 kids (they will be in 2nd and 4th grade next year) and will be looking for a home to rent. We'd like to pay between $1,400-1,700 range and obviously want it to be in an area with a good elementary school.

Based on the research I've done (most of it here - thank you), better areas are Federal Heights, Cottonwood Heights, Holladay, and Stansbury. I've seen mixed reviews on Sandy. What are your thoughts on South Jordan? I've seen some nice looking house there and the neighborhoods look OK in the pictures.
I suspect it's going to be next to impossible for you to find a home to rent in Federal Heights. Stansbury Park, from what I hear, is nice, but it's the farthest away from downtown Salt Lake City of the places you mentioned. If I were you, I'd look in Cottonwood Heights and Holladay. They are adjacent to each other and are pretty similar in a lot of ways. If you'd like your kids to have some great recreational facilities, definitely check out Cottonwood Heights. Its Recreation Center is unsurpassed. Your kids can both take swimming and ice skating lessons there. It's a real favorite of kids (and adults) in this area.

I'm a native Salt Laker who has lived in five different parts of the city and Cottonwood Heights is my personal favorite. We've been here for over 30 years now. My sister has lived in Holladay even longer and loves it.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:06 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
I live in Stansbury and I love it, however if I wanted to live in Salt Lake County, I would choose Cottonwood Heights in a New York Minute!!

Old 02-21-2013, 03:13 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,198 times
Why not the east side of Salt Lake City, along the foothills? It's within your budget and there are rentals available. Something east of 900 East and between South Temple and 1700 South.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 PM

57 posts, read 143,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
Why not the east side of Salt Lake City, along the foothills? It's within your budget and there are rentals available. Something east of 900 East and between South Temple and 1700 South.
Forgive my ignorance, but what area would that be? Just Salt Lake City? Wondering what I should type into Zillow.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 PM

427 posts, read 1,304,939 times
Check out the 'Sugarhouse' nabe of SLC, it's the southern/eastern side.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 PM

255 posts, read 626,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
Have to agree here.

We lived in yalecrest and it was our first time living in an are where we could walk for food & groceries (emigration market was visible from our home). We absolutely loved the area with beautiful tree lined streets and craftsman homes. We would move back in a second if we ended up in SLC again.

oh, forgot to mention. my wife worked in sandy and i in south jordan. Commute times were under 30 minutes including snow days.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBeth07 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what area would that be? Just Salt Lake City? Wondering what I should type into Zillow.
Probably "Foothill" or "Foothill Blvd." Possibly "University of Utah," but I don't know exactly how the boundaries lie.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,198 times
Sugar House, Foothill, East Central, or University would work. But I usually just use ZIP 84102 and 84108. 84105 might be good, too.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,758 times
SaraBeth, we are also an Army recruiting family moving to SLC in July 2013!! My husband will be working at the SLC BN. We live in WV now and have loved it and are excited to spend some time out west. I, of course, have also been making myself crazy trying to figure out what area to live in. Have you put any thought not trying to get base housing on Hill AFB? I hear it's a 45 minute drive and is it my first choice, but I'm keeping it in mind as a last resort. My kids are in middle school and the ones I had initially settled on were Wasatch and Churchill, but I haven't seen them mentioned in these forums at all. For those that live in SLC, am I way off base looking at those schools? I really feel like I'm just floundering here. We've never had to move somewhere without having the opportunity to visit the area beforehand and check out the neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area