U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:02 PM

6 posts, read 62 times
Default Religions in Utah Salt Lake

Thinking of moving to salt lake city. I have passed through and stopped while on bus trips, but have not lived there. I am aware of the prominence that the Mormons have over there. But are there other churches/religions like other parts of the country. Or Do the Mormons pretty much dominate the religion/spiritual scene. I dont want to let that bother me but it is good knowing I suppose. Is life there like life anywhere else with good and bad, regular, unreal, superficial people, etc. Sometimes I think of it as an uptight, rigid place where you walk on egg shells. How much do mormons control everything you do and everything that goes on. Am I allowed to play my caribbean, African music if I choose too? I am being real here.
Randy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 9,627 times
I would have to say I think the Mormons do have a lot of pull in Utah...BUT there are tons of other religions here!!! I wish people didn't think everyone who lives in Utah are Mormon. Because that is far from the truth!!
And as far as your music, play what ever you want! There are people from all different cultures. It is just like every where else, SERIOUSLY!!!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 04:46 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,245,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoe05 View Post
I would have to say I think the Mormons do have a lot of pull in Utah...BUT there are tons of other religions here!!! I wish people didn't think everyone who lives in Utah are Mormon. Because that is far from the truth!!
And as far as your music, play what ever you want! There are people from all different cultures. It is just like every where else, SERIOUSLY!!!!!
Ditto. There are definitely other people here!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:46 AM

378 posts, read 1,239,334 times
But seriously there are tons of mormons here.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:11 PM

102 posts, read 394,628 times
Mormons run utah like Baptist run the south, however, a quik google will show all the other faiths in the area, especially Salt Lake City. There has actually been the presence of other faiths for almost as long as the mormons have been there, as the original mormon founders set aside land for other denominations. Salt lake city itself is only about 50% LDS, though the burbs run a much higher percentage.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:24 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,324,433 times
Well, here’s just a sample of the diverse places to worship in Utah. There is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints Alpine Utah Stake. There is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints Bountiful East Stake. Oh, then there’s the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints Tremonton Stake, and then there is my personal favorite, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints Wellington Stake. There are many, many, many more, but they are too numerous to list. Suffice it to say, there are many diverse stakes.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:25 AM

7,728 posts, read 8,403,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaLips36 View Post
Thinking of moving to salt lake city. I have passed through and stopped while on bus trips, but have not lived there. I am aware of the prominence that the Mormons have over there. But are there other churches/religions like other parts of the country. Or Do the Mormons pretty much dominate the religion/spiritual scene. I dont want to let that bother me but it is good knowing I suppose. Is life there like life anywhere else with good and bad, regular, unreal, superficial people, etc. Sometimes I think of it as an uptight, rigid place where you walk on egg shells. How much do mormons control everything you do and everything that goes on. Am I allowed to play my caribbean, African music if I choose too? I am being real here.
Randy
Yes, you can play music and there are several religions in Utah.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:47 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,278,355 times
Having lived in very diverse areas previously to moving to Utah, it seems to me that Utahns are very accepting and inclusive. I DO miss diversity (I'm in Davis Co, not SLC) though!

Lots of LDS, and yes, local politics and customs reflect this. But the LDS make great neighbors and sure know what makes for a good community. I am never leaving!

There is a public radio station in SLC on 90.9, and in the evenings they play ethnic music...I believe Mon nights is African music! My favorite is Wed, Chinese

Old 10-26-2007, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 62 times
Default thank you

thank you granola.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:54 PM

7,728 posts, read 8,403,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Well, here’s just a sample of the diverse places to worship in Utah. There is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints Alpine Utah Stake. There is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints Bountiful East Stake. Oh, then there’s the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints Tremonton Stake, and then there is my personal favorite, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints Wellington Stake. There are many, many, many more, but they are too numerous to list. Suffice it to say, there are many diverse stakes.
diverse stakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area