U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:21 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,083,344 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 PM

479 posts, read 792,212 times
Park City has by far better air quality. The air in Salt Lake City is horrible in comparison to anywhere I have lived. Please look at the post for air quality/inversion. If you don't mind staying indoors throughout the winter in SLC then you will be fine. If you like the outdoors Park City would be awesome for you and your family. It's much more liberal than in the Valley. I have escaped many times to Park City during our inversions and found the air pristine in comparison to the toxic soup air in the Valley. Please read and learn as much as you can about this before you make a decision. Many folks are leaving the area due to just this reason. Check out the stories here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/56252534318/

Your children's health far out weights my political correctness.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:39 PM

763 posts, read 1,673,885 times
Throughout the winter? That's an exaggeration even for you.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 AM

2,294 posts, read 5,083,344 times
Truth hurts and payback is B^%ch

Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 5,483 times
I must say, I just found out about the air quality issues/inversion yesterday and it's immediately become a huge factor in choosing where to live. The problem is I don't know who to believe, people who say it's really bad or people who say it's only a few days he and there and should not be a main concern... Right now, I am very concerned about it. Also, even if we live in PC to escape it, will my husband be affected by it by having to work in SLC every day???

Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 PM

You should be concerned Anuta77. I have been here a year and can't believe the complacency about the air. Please read the stats and know that we had 22 consecutive days in a row of red air. The air was so thick that you couldn't see the mountains on either side of the Valley. Statistically Utah is the highest in the nation for Autism. 1 out of 32 boys born in Utah are subject to getting Autism. The folks here are more interested in spending dollars on education than cleaning up the air. Please research very well. Google air quality in Salt Lake if that will make you feel better about where you get your information. But also think of the logic behind folks like me who want clean air for our children. What mistake could possibly be made by looking at the truth and wanting a healthy environment to live in. There is no agenda to wanting clean air. There are some awesome groups within this community who want change but due to the majority not wanting to address the reality it doesn't look like a viable change. Here is a link to start your research if you would like to know more. I don't know how anyone would believe it's okay to live with pollution, honestly it just doesn't sound intelligent.

Utah Physicians for Healthy Environment

If Utah is right for you look for housing and talk to folks within Park City. It is a very nice place and most people would welcome you to research and check out the area. Something is really wrong when they don't want to share a healthier environment with you.

Please take care and I hope this helps you or anyone else from making a mistake in moving to a place that they don't know enough about. It's beautiful here but it needs to evolve progressively to fix and take care of the environment.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:07 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,896,679 times
It was pretty bad this winter. Some are worse than others. Generally speaking as a whole, this was a bad winter. My husband and daughter both have asthma and they don't have any extra problems in the winter because of the inversion. I have a hard time during the winter due to the cold and dark and I will tell you, during the days that the inversion is here, it is damn depressing. Especially when it lasts days upon days upon days on end. I don't think I have ever been as grateful for March as I am this year!

Old 03-06-2013, 02:13 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,771,747 times
Autism rates are more likely due to inbred generations prior to the last 30 yrs. When you didn't know who all your grandfather's children were due to the secrecy surrounding plural marriage, you could easily marry a first cousin. The saying "everyone is related to everyone else" is particularly true here in old families.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:31 PM

763 posts, read 1,673,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingonagain777 View Post
The folks here are more interested in spending dollars on education than cleaning up the air.
Now you've really lost credibility. Utah spends less per pupil on education than almost ANY other state in the nation.

And bringing autism into this discussion when there is absolutely no objective, scientific link between air quality and autism is grossly ignorant and irresponsible.

Forget UPHE if you want real science and objective information about the air quality issue---which is a genuine problem. Utah Moms for Clean Air is a much more reliable, respected advocacy group.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:43 PM

Utah Moms for Clean Air happens to be married to one of the physicians. How interesting.

If you read more you will see the statistical link in pollution and autism.

Does air pollution cause autism?

Air pollution may be factor in autism, researchers report | The Salt Lake Tribune

An Ecological Oratorio: Exposure to air pollutants during pregnancy linked to autism in children

Who is ignorant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area