U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 PM

57 posts, read 121,415 times

Advertisements

What is the traffic like on the highway in SLC going north? My husband will be working on Murray and I've been looking at housing primarily south of that for proximity and traffic avoidance. What would it be like for him to drive from Murray to, say Bountiful at 5:00pm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 PM

164 posts, read 278,157 times
Northbound from Murray to Bountiful at 5pm wouldn't be that bad IMO. The worst is from point of the mountain north to downtown in the morning or bountiful south bound in the morning. And its the opposite in the evening!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 PM

763 posts, read 1,673,885 times
The portion from SLC proper to Bountiful during the afternoon commute won't be good, but it won't be terrible either. It's also a slightly shorter stretch compared to the distance from Murray to SLC, which shouldn't be a problem northbound in the evening.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:37 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,194,269 times
What comprises "Rush Hour" is relative to what you're used to.

I'm from CA and still consider any Rush Hour in the SLC area as minimal. During peak loads in CA it literally would take me 1 hour just to get across one bridge. Whereas in the SLC area, Rush Hour is short and, on most days, will only delay you 10 to 15 minutes or so.

Having said the above, I note the poster gives a Fort Leavenworth zip code. For those of you unfamiliar with that area - there's not a lot of people or traffic. So, to a person from Fort Leavenworth, our Rush Hour in the SLC area may seem daunting.

Bill

Old 03-29-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
What comprises "Rush Hour" is relative to what you're used to.

I'm from CA and still consider any Rush Hour in the SLC area as minimal. During peak loads in CA it literally would take me 1 hour just to get across one bridge. Whereas in the SLC area, Rush Hour is short and, on most days, will only delay you 10 to 15 minutes or so.

Having said the above, I note the poster gives a Fort Leavenworth zip code. For those of you unfamiliar with that area - there's not a lot of people or traffic. So, to a person from Fort Leavenworth, our Rush Hour in the SLC area may seem daunting.

Bill
Ha - yes. There is no rush hour really on Fort Leavenworth. However, we've lived in many places over the years so we do know what a "real" rush hour would feel like.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:02 AM

2,293 posts, read 5,083,344 times
I would have to say my purpose for avoiding a rush hour would likely be more so to avoid an accident than just being delayed. People seem to drive just a bit worse than they normally do (which is already bad enough) when it's what I refer to as "the witching hour". So I try my level best to be ON the road prior to 7am and OFF the road prior to 4 whenever possible. Otherwise I just mainly avoid I-15 like the plague. In that case its as much because I'd prefer to retain my original windshield. Traveling on I-15 ages a windshield by years in just a few months if it doesn't get hopelessly cracked.

I used to travel for a living from Ohio to the West Coast. Indeed it's true, large city rush hours are leagues worse than in Salt Lake if nothing other than the shear distance needed to travel. Getting stuck on the South Side of Chicago at rush hour is a test of one's patience to say the least. Cincinnati, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Kansas City all very bad. Denver is one to truly avoid. The I-25 corridor at rush hour is a death trap. Seattle is not good either(man they do love to tailgate up there) as is Portland. San Francisco is horrid and well....lets face it anything remotely near Los Angeles is just epic horrible. When I used to cover LA for my rep job I made sure to schedule appointments from 9am to 2pm and be at my hotel by 3pm just to avoid the utter insanity of deadlocked roads. In a large way I'm glad I no longer have that career

Old 03-29-2013, 02:57 PM

13,143 posts, read 19,134,646 times
I go North from downtown at 5:00 and it's not smooth sailing but it's far better than trying to go South and not total gridlock. The worst part isn't the slow traffic, it's all the nutty "me first" drivers and people on their cellphones... probably talking to the people they are going home to in 20 minutes.

I've got it easy though; I get off in South Davis county just before I-15 really gets packed.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:17 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,275,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
Ditto. SLC has nothing like CA traffic. (It's also funny to me when people talk about the "ghetto" areas of SLC - but that's because I come from Oakland.)

When I travel North to Layton from SLC, I'm going against traffic. There's only been stop and go traffic that lasted more than 10 minutes about three times in six years.

Going the other way, there will be some traffic, because most people commute to SLC. But even then, it's not bad. I can get across SLC to one place I work in 10-15 minutes both in the morning and at night, and I can get from SLC to Layton and back again in about 25 minutes both ways.

I've heard there's more traffic when people are on 15 south of SLC. But for me, 80, 215, and 15 north of SLC has little to no traffic.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I go North from downtown at 5:00 and it's not smooth sailing but it's far better than trying to go South and not total gridlock. The worst part isn't the slow traffic, it's all the nutty "me first" drivers and people on their cellphones... probably talking to the people they are going home to in 20 minutes.

I've got it easy though; I get off in South Davis county just before I-15 really gets packed.
Really? So my idea of living south of SLC may not even avoid the traffic?

Old 03-31-2013, 12:10 PM

2,293 posts, read 5,083,344 times
The commute SOUTH at rush hour is by far the WORST. So if you're thinking of living South (Sandy, Draper, South Jordan etc.) Plan on a tough commute between 4:30-7pm daily. Just the way it is. The side roads and arterial roads through Sandy and Draper at those hours become challenging at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area