U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:11 AM

343 posts, read 1,488,642 times

Advertisements

How Mormon is salt lake city? Are things to do mostly biblically based christian things? Are there bars and clubs? Or just prayer groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 02:40 AM

32,372 posts, read 55,173,351 times
The city itself is quite liberal and very progressive.

Betcha didnt see that one coming? LOL

Old 10-30-2007, 06:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,450,094 times
Hi,

I have a lot of family members in SLC (I grew up there, starting 2nd grade).

My aunt and uncle live in the upper avenues, go to a Presbyterian church, golf a lot, and love it.

My mother and stepfather are in the Harvard/Yale area (can't remember if their neighborhood has an alternate name - they are getting pretty far south) and they are just very far left. If a cause falls into a "liberal" category, they are there. They also love living there and have plenty of friends

Grandparents on both sides were big time Mormons. My parents are caught up in all kinds of conflicted feelings about the Mormon church.

I have a funny impression that some of the people who thrive in SLC like being rebellious - like my mother/stepfather. They thrive by being liberal in a (dominantly) Mormon culture. My aunt and uncle in the avenues are just sort of wealthy conservative and have done fine too. I digress.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 7,819 times
Salt Lake is pretty liberal and it has a nightlife for those who want to enjoy it. I am currently living in DC and I really miss my Utah Bars (except the fact that my drink actually have some punch!) But in Salt Lake there is a lot of variety. There are bars that have pool and beer and sports, there are clubs to dance at, there is a great southern style bar with tons of beer, and the hookah bar in Salt Lake is awesome (even Lindsey Lohan partied there)
The suburbs are more "religious" I guess...

Old 11-02-2007, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 21,697 times
Default Utah Living

I was born in Salt Lake City and grew up in Provo. About 30 years ago, a lot of cultural change was going on in Utah. As a very young lad, I remember my dad and uncle having to register to get "liquor licenses" in order to buy booze at the state store. That was mostly changed during the late 60's and by the end of the 70's. As a musician, all the bars I played in only served 3.2 beer, but private clubs could serve glasses of wine and shots. That led to a lot of "private clubs" that were very easy to join - especially at the ski resorts. I played in a few of those as well. Folks tipped the band much better at those places .

As I see it, the non-Mormon folks either drink or do not, and nobody really gets on each other about it. The Mormon folks either drink or do not, and the non-drinkers have a certain 'attitude' about the Mormon drinkers that I think bugs the drinkers, but that they get off on a little too. That makes rebellion a life-style choice with more cachet to it than one would expect in that place. In the interest of full disclosure, I don't live in Utah anymore, don't drink, and don't really mind if people want to.

(The following may seem very negative, but I feel the need to point it out even though I have lots of nice things to say at the end.)

My beef with Utah really has a lot more to do with every level of government there. IMAO, there is no other way to state this than that the state is being run by amateur politicians and many tricky businessmen. Back in 1983 after the lake rose a few feet due to excessive runoff, they built some pumping stations at a cost of 10's of millions of $$ to lower the water level. By the time they got the pumps installed and running, the lake was pretty close to normal levels and would have eventually gone below normal levels even without the pumps. The pumps were used, then mothballed. They are unlikely to ever be used again. They have to be maintained to some degree and guarded. Letting nature take it's course was apparently not an option when 3 feet of water was running down State Street.

Virtually every mayor of Salt Lake for the past 50 years has enjoyed doing random things to incite one faction against another, and cause a political spectacle. Mostly these events are calculated to demonstrate how little they can be influenced by the leadership or infrastructure of the Mormon church. There have been other cases where they have been just the opposite. In every case, the mayor in office has been just as ham-handed as possible demonstrating that they have a definite tin ear when it comes to political accommodation.

As a final example, is it any wonder that they could not find a competent, capable, credible leader within Utah to take the reins of the faltering Olympics some years ago? Mitt Romney came in at the last possible moment to rescue what would have been sheer disaster in the operational logistics of the games. To be fair, the site construction and facilities were largely way ahead of schedule, even though some dodgy practices did come to light after the fact.

All of this is not to say that all businessmen in Utah are corrupt, evil, or incompetent. There are many successful businesses there run by honest and competent folks. For the remainder, it seems to me that level of honesty is very high, but competency is pretty low. I think many people just assume certain things about a business, clientèle, and money and march forward assuming that it will all work itself out in the end if you are merely honest. That does make it so they can sleep at night, but it also means that folks regularly fail to put into place sufficient plans so a business can thrive and survive. The rate of vacancy for commercial real estate is generally very high.

Having said all that, I love to go to Utah. Even as much time as I have spent in other Mountain West states, I have to say that Utah's mountains are the most spectacular and their skiing the most rewarding. The schools are among the nations finest. They are sweet and caring to a fault. You will never find better neighbors anywhere that I can tell. They are stereotypically nice and extremely helpful. However, I like living where I don't have to shovel snow so I can go to work - I know that's my fault.

If what I have described as the flaws I see with Utah aren't likely to bug you, the many nice things about Utah will be what you encounter on a daily basis and you will have a very nice experience there.
Cheers!

Old 11-04-2007, 03:22 PM

13 posts, read 35,017 times
Default More than just Mormons

Before I moved to Salt Lake 5 years ago I only thought the only things there were mormans and Donny Osmond!
How naive I was! Utah is way more than just mormaos! It has the best skiing in the world...the hiking is out of this world...camping is awesome...there are several bars that are rockin'...the city and surrounding areas are hip and not very mormon. Go more south, more mormons. It really is a beautiful state and a great place to live, even if you are not mormon.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:12 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,450,094 times
For me it is Snowbird in the summer. Paradise.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:00 AM

5,005 posts, read 14,477,031 times
No. And I'm happy. I've lived my whole life here, won't mention how many years that is, but it's enough. I grew up in Orem (Utah county) where being non-LDS was more challenging.

You just have to make the effort to find the friends you want and to not care about those who judge you for not being LDS.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:46 AM

132 posts, read 632,988 times
Default SLC area very diverse

We've met many non-Mormons and former Mormons who live in SLC & the surrounding area. They love it there. And there's just so much to do there from indoor to outdoor activities. Shopping & restaurants galore!

As others have said, it's the most diverse area. And it's surrounded by mountains, which makes it especially beautiful!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 PM

242 posts, read 758,447 times
I am not mormon and I love Utah. Sugarhouse more specifically. I'm very happy here and I'm even considering making a more permanent placement here by buying a home or condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area