Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 06:49 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
When I lived in Miss., there were state liquor stores and you could not buy cold beer anywhere, same as UT. You going to blame that on the Baptists, who were the majority religion there?
Of course! Or a religiously-driven anti-alcohol culture. Is there some other plausible explanation?

Anyway, I got nothing against state stores. What's more absurd, IMHO, is the enforced morality extending to the consumption (not the purchase) of alcohol, as with the restaurant rules. And let's face it, Miss isn't very aspirational when it comes to average education level, income, teenage pregnancy, divorce or much of anything else I can think of. Sorry, it's a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 07:05 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
While it amounts to mere minority of two and has no impact or less, I fully agree with kletter1mann. Odd laws elsewhere hardly make the silly little nuances in the Utah laws concerning alcohol any less odd. And, I too would not want to use the great state of Miss. as an example to look up to in virtually anything.

While I do not drink alcohol, my wife enjoys a glass of vine when we dine out. We definitely find some of the restrictions - must order food before alcohol, the person taking your order must be above age, etc. are plain silly. Obviously as minority, we must suffer the local sensibilities...

Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
+1. What he said.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Being from CA I thought the laws were odd but I have never had any issues really. It is not like you can't get a drink if you want one.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:22 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,029 times
Depends on where you live. They base the location of stores based on population. There is a map here that shows the locations. So, while it's not hard, it is not necessarily super convenient.

The restaurant laws just seem little silly. Like the one where the drinks cannot be prepared in sight of the customers.

And if these laws have nothing to do with lds influence, then why does the legislature meet with the church when there is any new legislation regarding alcohol?

Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
We are getting off topic, but I too find the legislature meeting with church is also very odd indeed. That violates my notion of separation of Church and State.

Apart from the rabid right wing influences and too much emphasis on industry at the cost of environment, the state seems better managed than Ohio where we moved from. So, perhaps the Church influences deserve some credit too.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
We are getting off topic, but I too find the legislature meeting with church is also very odd indeed. That violates my notion of separation of Church and State.
Sorry. Don't mean to go off topic. I was just responding to SouthernBelle's post that to me seemed to imply that people were blaming the LDS for the alcohol rules. I was just responding to why many people may feel that way.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:39 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
My spouse and I entertained a friend from LA who came in to Salt Lake for a visit. This was years ago - and we went to a restaurant - now defunct - up Emigration Canyon.

I was the only one ordering a marguerita.... I took one sip and it was NOT strong at all. So my LA friend ordered a sidecar....and promptly added it to my drink.

Mission Accomplished.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
My spouse and I entertained a friend from LA who came in to Salt Lake for a visit. This was years ago - and we went to a restaurant - now defunct - up Emigration Canyon.

I was the only one ordering a marguerita.... I took one sip and it was NOT strong at all. So my LA friend ordered a sidecar....and promptly added it to my drink.

Mission Accomplished.
Although side cars are no longer allowed now. they upped the amt.of alcohol in a mixed drink from 1oz to 1.5oz. Used to be with the drink w/ 1 oz of alcohol you could order a side car, but now that drinks can be mixed with 1.5 oz sidecars are no longer allowed.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:49 PM

120 posts, read 496,415 times
Religion and restaurants aside. I will be able to find some stores that sell hard liquor right? My only impression of SLC is watching SLC Punk and they had to drive to Wyoming for stronger booze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area