U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 11:43 AM

11 posts, read 19,173 times

Advertisements

For Sandy, you should look south of Fort Union. The area where Midvale, Sandy and Cottonwood Heights meet around Creek Road. Close to shopping and restaurants.

However, you should consider living closer to the Jordan River and TRAX. The problem with the benches is you get a lot of snow. Considerably more than central valley. I've lived in both places. And The Jordan River trail is great for walking/biking and with TRAX nearby you have easy access to downtown. Look at western Murray, eastern South Jordan, and perhaps western Draper. Avoid West Jordan and Midvale long the river as it's too industrial with a sewage treatment plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 02:08 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,218,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
LOL. Pepperwood has some beautiful homes, and I wouldn't necessarily describe them as McMansions. But I think you're on basically the right track. I don't think it would be an especially good fit for you, despite what my previous post may have implied. Do you have any idea of how much you're willing to spend?

Actually, kavm's mention of a condo in the St. Mary's area actually sounds to me like something you might want to consider. It's a nice location, beautiful views, not a ton of young people. If I were moving into the Salt Lake area and were wanting to simplify my life, I can see some wisdom in considering that.
Yeah. I'm looking at condos/townhouses more seriously. My top is probably ~$450k, but it's a bit of conundrum as I mentioned. I don't really want to go over 2500 sq ft and 4 bedrooms. Getting above $450 (or even $350 for that matter) seems to just get into a lot more space than I want. OTOH, more money buys better amenities and better view. For the record, I don't mind young people. What I mind is out-of-control kids sending baseballs through my window or ripping around on ATV's all night.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:29 PM

2,293 posts, read 5,082,390 times
Ahh your last statement definitely leaves Herriman OUT. They are crazy about driving the noisy ATV, Pocket Bikes and whatever else can possibly disturb what is known as peace. The brats stay out at all hours grouping it up up and down the streets. Pass on this town for sure. There are quiet parts of Draper I know of but Pepperwood would not be a choice either. Good luck in your search.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:43 PM
mlb

3,145 posts, read 2,829,527 times
I live in Sandy. Near the Sandy/Draper border.

There is only ONE family on our street with young children. TWO of them. Not 10.

All the other kids have grown and left. We have families from california, Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan, etc.

House across the street from me went up for sale this past week. Family - who is originally from Utah - is moving to Minneapolis. About 2100 sq feet - 4 bedrooms - listed for $259,900.

I'm a little tired of the notion that Sandy is full of young large families. It's not. The Census numbers do not lie.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:52 PM
mlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I've been following real estate listings and it looks to me like you get more house for your money as you head south from SLC proper. I'd been focused mostly on The Avenues, Millcreek, Cottonwood Heights and Holladay. Now I'm paying more attention to Sandy. I wouldn't want to be farther from SLC than that for reasonable access to city stuff.

We're NYers, non-LDS, progressives, no kids, active youngish retirees. But we also do our own thing, value our privacy and respect the privacy of others - not really "come on over for coffee" types. Other than the basic courtesies, our neighbors don't have to be friends, just friendly. Our friends are people with common interests, not simply cause they're next door.

So: would we survive in Sandy OK? What's it like? Or would the huge, young families (with ill-behaved brats) and overwhelming LDS culture make us nuts???
[Full disclosure: I really have no idea if there are huge young families, or how that might impact us or what it is about the LDS culture that makes other people nuts. But these themes seem to crop up repeatedly, so it seems sensible to ask.]

Thoughts or comments? Thanks in advance!
Re-read your intro. We are here in Sandy and are in our late 50's. No children. We aren't from here but moved to Utah 23 years ago. We have friendly neighbors - but not nosy neighbors. They do not barge into our lives.... but they watch out for us. We were on vacation in California -where we have family - in January. Came home and our driveway was shoveled after that nasty snowstorm. We are grateful for their kindness.

Sandy is changing rapidly. Do not believe the myths.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Re-read your intro. We are here in Sandy and are in our late 50's. No children. We aren't from here but moved to Utah 23 years ago. We have friendly neighbors - but not nosy neighbors. They do not barge into our lives.... but they watch out for us. We were on vacation in California -where we have family - in January. Came home and our driveway was shoveled after that nasty snowstorm. We are grateful for their kindness.

Sandy is changing rapidly. Do not believe the myths.
That sounds pretty good! As for "myths," well, much of that is from other posters here. I have no good way of knowing what's true and what isn't.

Anyway, of more interest than that.... How is Sandy changing rapidly? What was it before and what is it becoming?

Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 AM
mlb

It's changing because people from all over the country are moving in. We have much more diversity than before. Just in my cul-de-sac - people from Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, California..... and yes there are black families here - and a number of Asian families as well.

It's changing because kids grow up and leave Sandy. The census was baring that out. Population dropped about 12K between 2000 and 2010. Many more two-adult only homes. Yes there are families.... but kids aren't running wild in the streets...as other posters here think.

It's perhaps the best managed city in the valley. Taxes are relatively low and stable. Where it's changed most dramatically is that it has garnered alot more retail and commercial business - shoring up the tax base. Bringing out of state business to Utah - finally.

It's pretty much maxed out on housing development - but commercial has a ways to go. Hopefully someday it'll have a real downtown.. but the State Street Corridor of retail/shops is a good start.

Quite a few changes in the 20+ years we have been here.

Last edited by mlb; 05-06-2013 at 06:44 AM..

Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
It's changing because people from all over the country are moving in. We have much more diversity than before. Just in my cul-de-sac - people from Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, California..... and yes there are black families here - and a number of Asian families as well.

It's changing because kids grow up and leave Sandy. The census was baring that out. Population dropped about 12K between 2000 and 2010. Many more two-adult only homes. Yes there are families.... but kids aren't running wild in the streets...as other posters here think.

It's perhaps the best managed city in the valley. Taxes are relatively low and stable. Where it's changed most dramatically is that it has garnered a lot more retail and commercial business - shoring up the tax base. Bringing out of state business to Utah - finally.

It's pretty much maxed out on housing development - but commercial has a ways to go. Hopefully someday it'll have a real downtown.. but the State Street Corridor of retail/shops is a good start.

Quite a few changes in the 20+ years we have been here.
Wow. That very much changes my assumptions about it. Very helpful, thanks. Would you say that this trend holds for Sandy in general or more in certain neighborhoods?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:00 AM
mlb

When prices go higher - and wages stay the same - those who grew up here cannot afford to buy here.

Yes, it is changing Sandy. Again - we're not in the flat of Sandy where prices are lower.... nor are we Pepperwood. But our pricepoint seems to be the one that is moving.

Our neighbors who are moving to MPLS - listed their home on Friday. The realtor says they will have an offer today.

I wish you luck.

I cannot speak for other Wasatch Front communities, tho....

Old 05-06-2013, 06:42 PM

224 posts, read 524,457 times
We also moved to Sandy about 20 years ago (that is really hard to believe, it has gone by so fast). We moved in right before Halloween with four kids of our own. That halloween we must have had 400 kids come by. It was non- stop.
In the mean time, not only our kids, but all their friends have grown up and moved away. Where we used to have kids out on the streets playing now we have older couples strolling by with their dogs. This last Halloween I had 20-30 kids total.
At the moment our neighborhood has a nice mixture of older couples, newly empty nesters, and some younger families.
I like Sandy. It is imo well run, has all the amenities I need- shopping, show, concerts, a few clubs if that is what your are into, the new Real soccer stadium and soon to be Hale Center Theater, nice 4th of July celebration, bike paths and hiking trails, very close to the canyons. There is a huge mix of housing options, from historic to Mcmansion and everything inbetween. Our 10 house radius probably has 50% LDS.

Draper might have some older historic types of homes upgraded that may not be so big. If you are going as far as Sandy you might as well look in Draper as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area