U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 12:48 PM

57 posts, read 91,430 times

Advertisements

(this is sort of a "where should we live" thread)

Our situation:

I have posted only a few threads here before, we are looking to buy a house in Utah in the next 30 days. I'm looking all over the state.

I will be working from home, and my husband has a mobile catering unit. We can live anywhere, as long as there is a fedex/ups within 20 mins drive (for me). For his job, he could set up shop anywhere but advantageous that he is within 30-40 mins drive of clients (I mention this, because he's been falling in love with houses/cabins in spots like Kamas, huntsville, but then we talk ourselves out of it because his business still involves driving to the client).

So here's 2 questions for those who already live in Utah:

If you could move to any other city, where would it be, and why?

If you love where you are and would not want to move, tell me where you are, and why you love it?

thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 01:11 PM

2,350 posts, read 5,116,726 times
Well I have to admit after having traveled the State pretty extensively and living with the realities of today (it's no longer the 70's ya know) I'd probably choose Cedar City. A tad cooler in the summers and not terribly bad winters overall. Close to the Red Rock country and scenic. I liked the people there just fine, and it's NOT a huge metropolis with that attitude that goes along with it. Oh....and NO rush hour

Old 05-07-2013, 02:34 PM

2,447 posts, read 5,915,848 times
In northern Utah, I live in Stansbury Park and here is where I would stay. People are friendly, it is quiet and not in the middle of everything. DH's and my jobs are here. If we were retired and could live without needing employment, it would be St. George. I am really disliking the northern winters here and would give anything for a fairly mild winter with no snow to speak of.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:01 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,204,234 times
If not for family keeping me up North, I'd be somewhere around Moab or St. George for the outdoor opportunities.

Bill

Old 05-07-2013, 05:42 PM

466 posts, read 426,843 times
Not that I am love with things like inversions, I'd stay on in SLC. There are things that SLC offers as city while not compromising a lot in other, e.g., outdoors dimensions. While I'd love to vacation near Moab, Cedar City, Kamas - I'd find them boring and perhaps too low on service count in the long term.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:48 PM

150 posts, read 330,548 times
We'd pick somewhere around park city, amenities close but out of inversion.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 PM

9,193 posts, read 9,271,792 times
St. George, because of the mild winters. However, I already do have a second home there and we plan on retiring there someday.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:09 PM

835 posts, read 1,792,019 times
I don't ever see myself leaving my little piece of paradise here in East Millcreek. I love to ski and I can be on the snow 20-25 minutes after backing out of my driveway. same thing for mountain biking and hiking. I80 and 215E are less than 2 minutes away and I can visit my old neighbors in Park City in25-30 minutes too.
I like dcisive's idea of Cedar City though. Nice little community with a small college and the world famous Shakespeare Fest-that may be a great opportunity for your husbands line of work. Not to far from SLC and our airport, not to far from Brian Head, Esgle Point for skiing and biking and not that far from Vegas either.
I would skip Park City as they have many, many very established catering companies-and a little inversion all their own too....
Best of luck!

Old 05-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the intel everyone! I have family in Cottonwood and Sandy and a best-friend in SLC, so I like the idea of staying in that area, but my husband keeps seeing houses in Heber that he likes (I have talked him out of the super remote areas mostly because I do need to get to/from fedex/ups several times a week).

We are not LDS; I know that is a sticky subject on these boards sometimes. We are not in fear, but I am wondering if Heber would be a spot that our 2 year olds can fit in and find friends as they grow up. I know members are very busy with church activities and we would not be opposed to them going to lds sponsored events. I did see a baptist, catholic and other fellowship church there so I would assume it isn't 100% LDS. He likes the idea of less inversions and being able to do parties in Park City. He has a mobile pizza company so he's not like every caterer out there, and it looks like Heber would mean he could come down the canyon and do parties in Provo too. I'd love insight if any of you can offer some up.

I love getting the info from you all, thanks for the responses.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:29 AM

(oh I forgot to mention but my hubby is from Canada and winters are not a game changer for him, for me, I will take some adapting!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or