U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 11:47 PM

29 posts, read 41,181 times

Advertisements

Wow! Lots of text! Thanks in advance!

Well! Later than expected due to some unexpected life issues, but I have just booked travel for mid July to come scope out the city for a potential move in October. Since I'm coming in order to see if I'd like to LIVE here, other than hooking up with a realtor (which is already in the works, but if someone knows a good one that can handle special needs [health issues, so certain things have to be or cannot be in a house] feel free to let me know!) and taking a look around at areas to live, where should I go and what should I see to get a feel for what LIVING there is actually like, not vacationing? Where do the locals go and what do they do sort of thing, and where are some good places to go to get a vibe for the way people are. It remains a concern from a social and job perspective that I have (currently) blue and purple streaked hair and a lip ring, though the ring is probably departing soon, lol. The point is, you want to get a vibe for the way people act about stuff like that, and while it's never been an issue in any of the towns or cities I've lived in either socially or professionally, I have definitely VISITED some places where people were quite weird about it (rural west virginia and Washington DC, for example, though I'm sure you can surmise it was for different reasons in each place, heh). On top of that are all the concerns that everyone else has - I'm in my mid/late 20s and non-lds - will i be able to make friends regardless of religion, will I be able to find someone non-lds to date or eventually marry, etc etc. I am pretty set on possible mates being within my religion (loosely protestant-ish) or at least not very far out of it, because I don't enjoy conflict and don't want to worry about what to do with kids and etc etc, you know how it is. Friends though.. I'd certainly like to have as many friends as possible, mormon or not, assuming they're accepting. Anyway. I also of course worry about the inversions, though everywhere has it's downside. If I move I'm going to have to trade my car in, as I currently drive a sports car/stick shift with RWD and I hear thats.. not so much a good idea with the snow and the mountains and so forth, lol. Then there are the average moving anywhere concerns like crime (which fortunately you don't have much of), general attitudes, jobs, schools, etc. Everyone has concerns before they move. I REALLY want to like SLC though. I've done a lot of research; I've spent the last year defending it to my east coast friends who go "You're moving to.. Utah? Seriously? Why." and are sure the entire state is composed of ultra-conservative Mormons. I will NOT be living right in the downtown/city area, as I spent the first 16 years of my life living in the woods (in a house, obviously), and while I think cities are great and snazzy and jazzy and all that, I also don't want to be metaphorically constantly tripping over someone and wasn't keen on living downtown even in a relatively small (150k people) city. I like to have a place where I can retreat. I also have two large dogs that grew up with and deserve a good fenced yard. So we're looking at the millcreek/murray type area, maybe cottonwood, as the avenues and sugarhouse are out due to city proximity, and holladay seems out of the budget. Does that sound right? Does anyone have any incidental advice or thoughts on those areas? I don't really want to be constantly surrounded by huge families with a million children children or move so far out of the city that EVERYONE is LDS to the point that it gets exclusionary. I don't really care about the age demographic - I get along quite well with everyone if given the chance, and while it would be NICE to have people of my age and walk of life in my neighborhood, I grew up living on the east coast, and neighborhoods.. not so much. So I'm used to getting in my car or on a bus to get to people I want to be with, lol. Anyway, if I absolutely hate it obviously I won't move there and I do have a backup plan, but like I said, I'm really hoping to love it. So I want to know where to go to get the most realistic view of.. life in salt lake city, I guess. I'm quite sure I'm going to have about a million other questions that I think of between now and then, but I feel like I have a general idea of what the deal is out there, broadly speaking.

And hey, let me know if anyone wants to hang out in July! (but you know, please DON'T be a crazed axe murderer or anything )

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 06:09 AM

2,393 posts, read 5,200,688 times
All that text, yet no clue on WHY you're interested in SLC, what you job/career needs are or whether you're interested in outdoor/mountain activities. Do enlighten us. As for the rest, does it boil down to "can somebody with blue and purple hair and facial piercings and 2 large dogs get along well in SLC?"

Old 05-24-2013, 08:06 AM

2,284 posts, read 5,066,775 times
you can count on a few things. You WILL likely be surrounded by babies and young children. This State is the most baby centric of all in the country, and it's ALL about the children, be it stores, restaurants, parks and more. If you were coming Nov-March you would have an opportunity to be in some of the worst air quality known in the entire country. We've becoming famous now for our "way out of EPA Standards" air quality during our winters, and even during the summer months it can rear it's ugly head. I would urge you to consider other places as well in the Intermountain region far more compatible with your needs.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:32 AM

29 posts, read 41,181 times
I already made a post about a year ago detailing why I wanted to move there and talked back and forth with many people about it. To clarify: this wasn't a "should I move there or not" question - I wouldn't base that off of 10-15 people on the internet's comments. This was the very brief version for the new members, as there seem to be a few active new ones on the forums. Perhaps others could assume I do have a brain in my head and have, as noted, done a lot of research, and focus on answering the actual questions I had regarding where to go when I visit and if there are any particular places to live that would be suggested. And as related to the rest, any tidbits or anecdotal advice or personal experiences that would be pertinent. I am looking/have looked at others places, but after a couple years of research with very specific considerations and parameters, SLC has made it onto the short list. Also, what I meant about being surrounded by babies and young children - I was told last year, and I get the impression from reading other posts, that certain places where one would LIVE/neighborhoods are much more baby/young family heavy than others. I don't care about them out in the wild.

Also, in the short term, I will be doing a MA at the University there. But it's not a move FOR school, so I didn't think it was especially relevant, though I do assume that I will meet a portion of the people that become friends there.

Last edited by Spirograph; 05-24-2013 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: afterthought

Old 05-24-2013, 03:54 PM

5,000 posts, read 14,405,319 times
Love your screen name.

Even though you stated Avenues, Sugarhouse and downtown were out because of proximity to downtown, aside from a yard for your dogs, it seems like the best lifestyle fit for you.

I don't know enough about the Millcreek/Murray or Cottonwood heights areas. I haven't lived in Murray since 1993. And I was in an apartment then with no yard for my dog. So, as far as space and a yard for your dogs, I think Millcreek/Murray or Cottonwood Heights would be a good fit. Don't know how concentrated the number of families with oodles of kids are in those areas. But pretty much everywhere but downtown, avenues, sugarhouse or up by the U would most likely be more families than singles. I live in the suburbs of Salt Lake County and there are kids everywhere. I wish I could find a neighborhood of single, dog lovers with no kids. If it does exist, it's probably not where I'd prefer to live location wise. So I just do my best to fit-in and get along with my neighbors.

Smart idea to get rid of your RWD car. If you don't sell it before you move here, you should be okay driving it until mid-late October.

Will you be working while going to school?

If you want to know what the vibe is, I'd say visit parks, grocery stores, malls, recreation facilities, ride public transportation (TRAX), maybe visit the 9th & 9th neighborhood, drive up a canyon, visit camping sites, The Gallivan Center, Twilight Concert Series, maybe some of these places/events would help you get an idea of the people who live here.

I've lived in the suburbs since I moved to SLC in 1988. I rarely explore my city or the greater SL area so my list was just a guess to get you started. Each city in the valley usually has some kind of summer carnival/festival around the 4th of July. You might run into one of those depending on when you're here.

Don't know if you're a college football fan or not, but as a U alum, I feel I must include the schedule...just in case.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy getting to know your new city.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 PM

763 posts, read 1,669,004 times
My 4 dogs and I live in a neighborhood with very few kids (there's one family with kids on my block, and they only have 2). I have a 3BR house and a decent-sized (0.20 acres) yard. Where? Central City in downtown SLC. And, believe me, I do not make a lot of money.

Seriously, there is no place in the valley for someone like you except SLC proper, be it Sugar House, Aves, University, or Central City. Visit 9th & 9th, walk around Liberty Park, check out Trolley Square, peruse the local shops on 300 South (aka Broadway).

Oh, and I drive a RWD sports car (always have) and have only been stuck in the snow once in nearly 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or