Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,227 times

Advertisements

Hello Utahtransplant2b. Thank you for posting your update. We are relocating to the SLC area next summer from Northern California. My son will be starting Freshman year. We are a Catholic family and are considering Judge Memorial but would prefer to live in Park City. From this forum I've read the commute would be a nightmare. (My husband is originally from the East Coast but I am from the Baja desert and have never, ever driven in snow) Can you tell me what you think now that you've been living there. Which high school did you decide on? Would you have preferred private vs. public? Would you recommend living in Park City vs SLC? A good friend who lives here in the Bay area is from SLC (LDS) and strongly advises us against PC high school and park city because of the prevalence of drugs at the school. She also says we will need to drive to SLC all the time for the kids activities. Do you find that is the case? Do you have any opinion on the drug situation as far as the schools? Since you are someone that has made this move with kids in similar age as ours when you moved I would truly value your opinion.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 08:57 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,313 times
I'm happy you came and updated this! I actually just made the move in the opposite direction, from Utah to Michigan.

I actually think your comparison felt pretty spot on. Having been in Royal Oak now for a few months I miss the mountains, the beautiful canyon drives, hiking and snowboarding - but for me it was worth it to get away from the desert (I love the abundance of trees here), a job that wasn't really working for me and the culture (I'm an outspoken former Mormon, so I'm generally frowned upon if I don't just 100% keep to myself about certain topics and i don't want to raise a family in that environment.)

I hope your time in Utah goes well! I know I miss it frequently. Just a piece of friendly advice that you're welcome to ignore, but I'd be careful about letting your kids attend too many church activities. While the association and sense of community is great, the underlying motive is always conversion, if not now - then later. Though as someone who attended those outings as a kid, they ARE a lot of fun. And if you have any advice for a person new to Michigan, please pass it along! I'm digging it so far. The metroparks, coastline, cider mills, microbreweries and the zoo here are incredible!

Edit: Oh, your update was in 2014, but the last poster brought it to the top... I really need to be more diligent about checking that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area