Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:24 AM

17 posts, read 39,588 times

Advertisements

I know that most of the population in Utah is Mormon, but are there a lot of non-Mormons also? Do non-Mormons get along well with Mormons? And do the college students at the University of Utah throw huge parties like any other college? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 11:11 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxtigers3 View Post
I know that most of the population in Utah is Mormon, but are there a lot of non-Mormons also?
Utah, as a whole, is about 65% Mormon, but Salt Lake City is closer to 50%-50%. If you're thinking about moving to Salt Lake City, I'd say that the 50%-50% ratio would be more relevant to you, particularly if you're thinking of attending the University of Utah, where the ratio of non-Mormons to Mormons may be even highter (possibly 60% non-Mormon, but that's just a guess).

Quote:
Do non-Mormons get along well with Mormons?
For the most part, very well, although there may not be a ton of social interaction due to the fact that practicing Mormons don't drink.

Quote:
And do the college students at the University of Utah throw huge parties like any other college? Thanks
Oh, yes.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 AM

17 posts, read 39,588 times
Thanks for the info

Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 PM

6 posts, read 20,896 times
Remember also in those LDS member percentages that they refer to members on record, not active members, I know people still on church record who have not attended since they were kids or after they left home.

If a Mormon is an active member of the LDS faith they should still get along with non-members & active members. The LDS church does faith is not one to exclude based on membership, of course all are free to act on their own feelings. The organization of the church is one of fellowship whether you choose to convert or not, if this isn't your experience know that it is coming from an individual or small group, not from the LDS church as an organization.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:10 PM

762 posts, read 2,117,611 times
I can't remember where I read it (SL Trib maybe?), but I learned earlier this year that SLC proper was reported as being "42% LDS," and that includes ALL members, not necessarily active members, which will be lower.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:15 PM

34 posts, read 65,249 times
Quote:
I know that most of the population in Utah is Mormon, but are there a lot of non-Mormons also?
Me! We just moved here in October.

Quote:
Do non-Mormons get along well with Mormons?
I like to think I do. I think a lot of my neighborhood is non-Mormon, but honestly other than us observing them drinking beer or wine or seeing them Sunday morning going out not in a suit, I'm not sure who is or isn't. At work I want to say I work with 70% Mormons (based on my assumptions) and they're all very welcoming and friendly. They're work friends, haven't done anything out of work together other than going to some lunches during the week, but they're all very friendly and "normal" people. They do have like backgrounds that I haven't shared with some terms that fly over my head, but they try to clue me in. They're all along the spectrum of conservative to liberal too.

Quote:
And do the college students at the University of Utah throw huge parties like any other college? Thanks
I'm going to guess yes, or some parts of it. Now if you ask this same question for BYU...

Old 07-05-2013, 10:37 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,810,038 times
If you get along with the people around you where you live now, you'll get along with Mormons and non-Mormons in Utah.

I attended the U of U for 10 years. Although there are some parties, it is not considered a party school. The Frats are rather small for a major university and are on a tight leash. And, it's a commuter campus - with (mostly) working students who are fitting in an education with family and work life.

Bill

Old 07-06-2013, 09:40 PM

84 posts, read 167,586 times
Quote:
I know that most of the population in Utah is Mormon, but are there a lot of non-Mormons also? Do non-Mormons get along well with Mormons? And do the college students at the University of Utah throw huge parties like any other college? Thanks
Mormon people tend to get along with everyone, at least in my own experience. Non-Mormons might find them "lame" because they don't like to party, but I think the consensus has always been that a lot of non-Mormons find Mormons very nice and hospitable people.

You'll find a different crowd at the U than at BYU (obviously) and Salt Lake I think has a higher population of non-Mormons than other areas. I think they still throw big parties at the U.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 PM

542 posts, read 1,682,510 times
Most importantly, Mormons only date other Mormons

Old 07-07-2013, 06:54 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Most importantly, Mormons only date other Mormons
That is totally not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area