Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:58 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro* View Post
Not hardly ..... our house just closed.

You are in for a real shock in the next few years as more of us 'family values, anti LGBT and anti drug' are on the way.
A LOT MORE.

Perhaps its time for you to think about San Fransisco ?
As far as I'm concerned, the only people I'm "anti" is rude people and people whose behavior puts me in danger. With respect to the LGBT community, I don't really give a damn what people do in the privacy of their own bedrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,972,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpur View Post
as far as i'm concerned, the only people i'm "anti" is rude people and people whose behavior puts me in danger. With respect to the lgbt community, i don't really give a damn what people do in the privacy of their own bedrooms.
*standing ovation!!*

Old 07-30-2013, 02:29 AM

762 posts, read 2,118,198 times
Quote:

You are in for a real shock in the next few years as more of us 'family values, anti LGBT and anti drug' are on the way.
A LOT MORE.

You do realize that proclaiming yourself "anti LGBT" is akin to proclaiming yourself "anti left-handed" or "anti brown-eyed," right? Except the really terrifying part is that you can't even consistently tell when someone with whom you're interacting is the very thing that you are so against!

So, I'm curious, when you meet someone new, how do you know if you're anti THEM or not? You're not going to know every LGBT person you interact with, I guarantee, so do you make it a practice of asking new people about the details of their sex lives?

Sounds pretty perverted to me.

Oh, and you never did answer kletter1man's question about which "liberal" cities are disintegrating... the cultural and business meccas of New York and San Francisco, perhaps?

I hope you're moving to rural Utah, for your sake, as there are more LGBT people in SLC, per capita, than almost anywhere else in the country.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:

A LOT MORE.

LOL, you are in for a quite a wakeup call if you think your numbers are growing. More and more states are legalizing marijuana and gay marriage, oh the humanity! lol. Look around, people are becoming more accepting of other people's lifestyle. Don't venture in to Salt Lake City or any major city. You may have a heart attack You might want to make a run for rural Mississippi. They are still clinging to bigotry, racism and still view woman as subservient in may parts. You can force your belief on others and potentially receive a pat on the back for your antiquated viewpoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post
You do realize that proclaiming yourself "anti LGBT" is akin to proclaiming yourself "anti left-handed" or "anti brown-eyed," right? Except the really terrifying part is that you can't even consistently tell when someone with whom you're interacting is the very thing that you are so against!

So, I'm curious, when you meet someone new, how do you know if you're anti THEM or not? You're not going to know every LGBT person you interact with, I guarantee, so do you make it a practice of asking new people about the details of their sex lives?

Sounds pretty perverted to me.

Oh, and you never did answer kletter1man's question about which "liberal" cities are disintegrating... the cultural and business meccas of New York and San Francisco, perhaps?

I hope you're moving to rural Utah, for your sake, as there are more LGBT people in SLC, per capita, than almost anywhere else in the country.

Pro* is going to have a stroke when he finds out how many LGBT people are in SLC, lol.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 AM

317 posts, read 652,099 times
Pro: It is profoundly obnoxious to tell people who were born and raised here to get out because you as someone who has never even lived here one day have a fantasy about how Utah should be. Just sayin'.

Also, you might be shocked at the number of conservative Utahns who want access to medical marijuana if they need it. Many are in to natural cures and medicines here and they tend not to skew liberal as in some states.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:23 AM

317 posts, read 652,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionide View Post

I hope you're moving to rural Utah, for your sake,
Please no.... though non-traditional families in my area are more likely to be wearing prairie dresses and have 6 wives, I prefer neighbors who see things as they are and live and let live so long as everyone involved is of an age to legally exercise free will. When people like Pro come in they rant endlessly about how everyone else should leave and that Utah government is perfect, and then they unintentionally back and bolster the extreme corruption because they haven't been here long enough to see it. We need realists who help clean up the state's profound ethics problem. We need to clean up the fraud and clean up the corruption. That will benefit everyone no matter how many wives or husbands live in a particular household, and is our most pressing hurdle to overcome as a state.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:06 AM

276 posts, read 448,359 times
lots of tolerance in this thread! Nothing like an eye for an eye and bashing someone because you feel they might be "intolerant", the worst of all crimes. The guy wants to raise his kids in a more family-oriented environment with fewer pot smokers - lynch him!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:37 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
lots of tolerance in this thread! Nothing like an eye for an eye and bashing someone because you feel they might be "intolerant", the worst of all crimes. The guy wants to raise his kids
in a more family-oriented environment with fewer pot smokers - lynch him!
I don't see any real "bashing" in this thread. But people mainly responding to this sentiment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgicWashingtonian View Post

We're not a perfect family and we're not perfect people. But we're not bad people, and I would hope our neighbors would recognize that in us.
Basically, the OP wants people to accept him and his family for who they are, but does not want to be accepting of others who don't fit his description/view of the "correct" lifestyle.

And why should we not call out people on stating that they are just automatically write someone off because they might be gay, or might have a tattoo. How does having a tattoo or being gay make you immediately a bad person. Many many people with tatoos or who are gay very likely may have similar values and morals as the OP.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
lots of tolerance in this thread! Nothing like an eye for an eye and bashing someone because you feel they might be "intolerant", the worst of all crimes. The guy wants to raise his kids in a more family-oriented environment with fewer pot smokers - lynch him!
No one is bashing OP for being family oriented. It's his attempts to raise family to reject open minded thinking and to enforce stereotypes, myths, and other false ideologies. The "our way is the only right way" line of thinking. To suggest we should turn the other way because he wants to judge others based on what? Myth? Stereotypes? and because we don't want to live like his family? Judging someone because they have Tattoos or they don't celebrate the traditional way of thinking is absurd. Traditional way of thinking, pffft. Traditional is another way of saying white male dominance, all other races and genders are inferior and should do what I say. (I'll state for the record again, I am a white hetero male.) I won't enable this short sighted thinking.

No one is asking OP to partake in gay orgies and subject his kids to crack houses and make them get tattoo's and take the lords name in vain. It's just op's post is a thinly veiled mask of bigotry and prejudice that stinks. Now if you'll excuse me, since I have tattoos, I must go terrorize the neighborhood, commit lots of crime, take candy from babies, push old ladies down, and worship the devil. Because that's what people with tattoo's do, says so right here in the manual. *makes devil horns on top of head with index fingers*

Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 AM

276 posts, read 448,359 times
Thinly veiled white male dominance eh? How do we know the OP is white? And I thought the OP was supposed to be the one making the stereotypes.

I don't have a problem with tattoos or legalized pot(but I wouldn't want my kids growing up around places reeking with it either). And to be fair (since we're all very focused on being tolerant), the OP noted that these traits tended to be associated with behavior he didn't want his kids to be surrounded by. I don't know if it's true or not, but its not hard to concede that -- at one point in time, maybe not so much anymore -- tattoos and weed were strongly associated with a non-traditional lifestyle.

The OP doesn't want to raise his kids in an area where homosexuality as a lifestyle is accepted. Nowhere did he state he hates these people or wants to force them to change. I don't see what this has anything to do with hating minorities and wanting to repeal the 19th amendment though.

You want to throw around the term "bigot" as if you are crusading against some tyrant who is oppressing large groups of people. Calm down - it's just a guy who wants to raise his kids away from what he perceives to be bad influences (some of which I agree with and some I don't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area